NGK Spark Plug

I have a Toro Super Recycle mower with a Honda GCV 160 engine. The recommended plug is NGK BPR5ES. I bought NGK BR6ES by mistake.
Would I damage my engine using that plug temporarily? I know the one is a projected plug and the other is non projected, but I cause engine damage using
the non projected plug?

There is only a risk of damage if you ran a plug that is too long (a projected plug if the standard one is non-projected). With that said, it is best to run the correct one, so it would be fine for a couple mows but I'd prefer the right one if it were my mower.

There is only a risk of damage if you ran a plug that is too long (a projected plug if the standard one is non-projected). With that said, it is best to run the correct one, so it would be fine for a couple mows but I'd prefer the right one if it were my mower.
Thanks Jeepman

X2 jeepman

A plug that is too long can possibly hit the piston on its way up the cylinder. Pay attention also to the length of the plug with the threads. If your wrong plug is shorter in that part, carbon deposits can accumulate in the cylinder head hole for the spark plug, and can make it very difficult to fully thread in a new, correct spark plug later. If your wrong spark plug is longer in that part, some of that threaded part will protrude into the combustion chamber and can cause hot spots that can result in preignition.

X2 jeepman

A plug that is too long can possibly hit the piston on its way up the cylinder. Pay attention also to the length of the plug with the threads. If your wrong plug is shorter in that part, carbon deposits can accumulate in the cylinder head hole for the spark plug, and can make it very difficult to fully thread in a new, correct spark plug later. If your wrong spark plug is longer in that part, some of that threaded part will protrude into the combustion chamber and can cause hot spots that can result in preignition.
Exactly. A shorter plug won't damage the piston, but I wouldn't consider it a long-term solution.

One more thing: besides the length difference, the BR6 is one heat range colder than the BPR5 you're supposed to be using. This may or may not cause any problems :unsure:

If you decide to return it, consider the iridium BPR5EIX. It's just like the recommended plug but iridium :)

One more thing: besides the length difference, the BR6 is one heat range colder than the BPR5 you're supposed to be using. This may or may not cause any problems :unsure:

If you decide to return it, consider the iridium BPR5EIX. It's just like the recommended plug but iridium :)
The thread length is the same just has a non projected electrode, I have considered the iridium plug.

That's good advice. I've been putting NGK Iridium plugs in all of my ope for some time now and have yet to replace one. I believe that the ones in the John Deere D140 are entering their eighth season.
I've been using them in ATVs where the plugs are impossible to reach. Figure I won't have to replace them again. I put an NGK Iridium in my father's '98 Honda Foreman 400, and not sure if it was the carburetor cleaning or the spark plug but it fires pretty much instantly now.

Back