NGK plug or Champion EZ Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tecumseh flathead powered snow bird thrower came with a Gator brand spark plug and its ready for a replacement plug. The local store has NGK and the Champion EZ start in stock. Is the EZ start work a buck more?

I've actually had luck with Champion EZ Start.Its got a fine wire center electrode thats supposed to fire off easier.Of course I have also had luck with Autolite in small engines too.NGK is a good plug overall,but I have never run them in B&S or Tecumseh engines.I know AC is ng at all in small engines.My one experience there was a mistake.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I've actually had luck with Champion EZ Start.Its got a fine wire center electrode thats supposed to fire off easier.Of course I have also had luck with Autolite in small engines too.NGK is a good plug overall,but I have never run them in B&S or Tecumseh engines.I know AC is ng at all in small engines.My one experience there was a mistake.

I tried an autolite plug in the briggs lawnmower once, for about 3 minutes. It missed, and ran horribly. I pulled it out, put in an NGK plug and it ran perfectly. Never again. Also, most champion OPE plugs I've seen are made in China. NGK plugs are made primarily in Japan, some are made in USA.

Last edited:
I've got twenty plus year old NGK plugs in machines running perfectly. In all of my years using many, many spark plugs, I think I've only had two fail. Both were Champion plugs that had come with the equipment. Can't recall an NGK failing unless I broke it.

IS this an RJ19LM?
If its either the the RJ19LM, J19LM, CJ8, RCJ8 then you can get a B&S (Champion) platinum plug for it.
I have had one in my lawnmower for 5 yrs, starts first pull every time and no misfires.

The plug# is 5062 and can be found at tractor supply or small engine places. The EZ start isn't worth 10c more.

Last edited:
The Champion plug says Made in USA on it. And yeah it calls for a RJ19LM Champion, a 5861 Champion EZ Start, or a BR2LM NGK.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
My Tecumseh flathead powered snow bird thrower came with a Gator brand spark plug and its ready for a replacement plug. The local store has NGK and the Champion EZ start in stock. Is the EZ start work a buck more?

A small engine is the ONLY place I would ever use a Champion plug and then only if I had no other options as another member said above. Worst plugs( name brand )IMO out there. NGK plugs are very good quality and I have had nothing but good luck with them in cars, yard equipment, and marine use. So, of the two listed no question for me it would be the NGK.

FWIW I would also throw out E3 plugs. YOu can get them at AZ, AAP, and others etc... I don't advocate them in vehicles but in small engines they really seem to do a good job and make it easier to start. I have E3 plugs in my snow blower, generator, and lawn mower. The generator and lawn mower were bears to start even with an NGK plug( forget it with the OEM Torch junk they came with ). Starting definitely is improved in them with the E3's.

NGK - I always had good luck with them.
Just yesterday I bought a new Echo backpack blower - I was glad to see it came with a NGK plug installed.

Last edited:
Maybe i'm just lucky in 30 years i never had a small engine plug go out on me. In my old ski doos ngk performed better than the champions and bosch were worse yet. lawnmowers never noticed any difference between the NGk or champs, in my old snowblower i did run a EZ start the only thing i noticed was the ez start plug was a little cleaner than the regular j19 plug. I usually change the plugs every two to three years.

I have always had good luck with Champions in MOPAR engines. There is no E3 available for my application. I checked at O Reillys for an E3 to maybe just give it a shot.

The local farm store is cheaper than O Reillys anyways, especially on oil.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have always had good luck with Champions in MOPAR engines. There is no E3 available for my application. I checked at O Reillys for an E3 to maybe just give it a shot.

The local farm store is cheaper than O Reillys anyways, especially on oil.

Champion coppers work well in cars that comes with them as OE. Like the Jeep 2.5/4.0L Engines, those always ran best on Copper champions. Anything else, especially platinums caused problems for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back