Next oil choice for 2012 Accord 2.4

The engine has accumulated some varnish and I just completed a run with HPL’s engine cleaner. I figured a run with a high detergent oil may have some benefit. Plan on switching back to M1 0w20 of some flavor after a run or two of this.
Solid plan, interested in whether the varnish diminishes. In my experience, a little varnish on oil exposed, non-wear surfaces, will not cause a problem even in very high mileage cars.

Solid plan, interested in whether the varnish diminishes. In my experience, a little varnish on oil exposed, non-wear surfaces, will not cause a problem even in very high mileage cars.
Time will tell. I just want to keep it in top shape.

I honestly think you'll like the thicker oil over the W20. The only time my Accord had VTC noise was with W20. With 5W/10W30, never a hint of VTC noise.

I honestly think you'll like the thicker oil over the W20. The only time my Accord had VTC noise was with W20. With 5W/10W30, never a hint of VTC noise.
So far so good in that regard, BUT it only makes noise maybe 1 start per 100. So it would be hard to determine if oil made it better / worse in my case.

That was my game plan when I purchased the EC but at over $100 I don't think I can justify the price at such a short OCI. I think I'd rather change more often with name brand OTC oils. I may change my mind, will see.
Are you not satisfied with M1 for some reason? It sounds like a good product line for the shorter oci some of us must do and it also sounds like good stuff for longer oci for folks who cant justify the higher price brands that are spoke well of here.

Are you not satisfied with M1 for some reason? It sounds like a good product line for the shorter oci some of us must do and it also sounds like good stuff for longer oci for folks who cant justify the higher price brands that are spoke well of here.
Mobil 1 is my first choice for an OTC motor oil. I'll just have to change more frequently because the "severe" driving style my Accord sees has resulted in some light varnish in the valve train area with he OCI I was previously using. Last time I checked M1 FS 0w40 still has some of the better base oils in the M1 line up, thus the reason I selected it for mu current OCI in an effort to do more cleaning without the expensive price tag of some of the higher end offerings.

I had a 2013 Accord LX for two years, purchased with 54K miles. It had a history of using PP 0w-20. I switched to PP 5w-20 for driving in NC and FL, and the engine continued to be flawless. Of your two choices, personally I'd go with PP but in 5w-20.

Mobil 1 is my first choice for an OTC motor oil. I'll just have to change more frequently because the "severe" driving style my Accord sees has resulted in some light varnish in the valve train area with he OCI I was previously using. Last time I checked M1 FS 0w40 still has some of the better base oils in the M1 line up, thus the reason I selected it for mu current OCI in an effort to do more cleaning without the expensive price tag of some of the higher end offerings.
Only asked since I am new to using any Mobil products. Just recently ran the M1AFE0w30 for a quickie 500mi flush out on wifes T-GDI engine. Refilled it with M1EP0w20. We have no choice but to do short oci with that car so I also thought M1 would be the better OTC choice based on
lots of info from folks who have used it for long times. Look forward to first M1 - uoa after this 3000 - to 4000mi oci. Want to compare it to last one.

Only asked since I am new to using any Mobil products. Just recently ran the M1AFE0w30 for a quickie 500mi flush out on wifes T-GDI engine. Refilled it with M1EP0w20. We have no choice but to do short oci with that car so I also thought M1 would be the better OTC choice based on
lots of info from folks who have used it for long times. Look forward to first M1 - uoa after this 3000 - to 4000mi oci. Want to compare it to last one.
I have no concerns with their products. They are THE standard IMO.

Back