Next oil choice for 2012 Accord 2.4

Odyssey 2004 J35 engine with 202k. M1 EP HM 0w20 runs like the day it was brand new (since 80k miles bought used). 5k OCI with Honda filters. There's nothing wrong with 5(0)w20 in these engines.

Last edited:
I have serviced 3 1st gen TSX for years. We got ours in Dec 2008. 5w30, mostly M1. I suggest any 5w30 syn, high mileage depending on your odo.

Well I chickened out and went with M1 EP 0w20. Maybe in the spring I’ll finally branch out and go 5w30 / 0w40.

Has anyone used Mobil 1 0w40 in their K24? Still considering this as an option.

Greg..... does your Accord suffer from the VTC actuator noise at cold startups?
On occasion, yes. It got the updated part under warranty many years ago which improved the frequency, but it still happens. On a 19 degree morning the other day, it serenaded me with a nice grind.

On occasion, yes. It got the updated part under warranty many years ago which improved the frequency, but it still happens. On a 19 degree morning the other day, it serenaded me with a nice grind.
No oil is going to help with that unfortunately. It will need to be fixed again.

These vehicle tends to consume oil sooner or later, so a higher grade would be consider ideal.

No oil is going to help with that unfortunately. It will need to be fixed again.

These vehicle tends to consume oil sooner or later, so a higher grade would be consider ideal.
It rattled even after the new part was replaced. It’s just a characteristic as far as I’m concerned. Never heard of it causing issues.

I never thought I’d do this. Here it goes…
9CB9703E-9F54-4992-9716-C6569B1605F5.jpeg

I never thought I’d do this. Here it goes…
View attachment 132495
On one hand, that engine will be fine with a very broad range of oils. On the other, this is a very home-grown choice, when the world knows the car will run forever, without burning oil or gumming anything with 0 W 20. Was this cheaper than the Mobil One AFE in 0 W 20 THAT SAYS HONDA on it? Was the Honda filter a good deal? The car looks great and you are obviously maintaining it carefully, but would love to know your thinking.

On one hand, that engine will be fine with a very broad range of oils. On the other, this is a very home-grown choice, when the world knows the car will run forever, without burning oil or gumming anything with 0 W 20. Was this cheaper than the Mobil One AFE in 0 W 20 THAT SAYS HONDA on it? Was the Honda filter a good deal? The car looks great and you are obviously maintaining it carefully, but would love to know your thinking.
The engine has accumulated some varnish and I just completed a run with HPL’s engine cleaner. I figured a run with a high detergent oil may have some benefit. Plan on switching back to M1 0w20 of some flavor after a run or two of this.

Back