Newbie with a lot to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings to all,

I have been using the search engine digging through your great site trying to learn. I am struggling a bit so I thought I would go ahead and ask.

I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Expedition 4wd, 5.4L. It has 50,000 miles on the odo. I noticed the oil was quite dark (as in black)and a bit on the sticky side when I purchased it. Seems to me people aren't as diligent with the maint. if they know they are about to trade in. Figured it just needed a service.

I changed the oil/filter and put in Valvoline 5/30 dino oil. 2 K later the oil is black as coal. Whats up with that? I was planning on doing several short interval oil changes 2k to kinda flush things outta there then switch to a full synthetic. Granted, I have very little experience on this but I have never seen anything like this before. What should I do?

I haven't even towed anything with it yet. Eventually it will be our family hauling mule for our ATV trailer and occasionally a 27 foot travel trailer.

Any input you could offer a "greenhorn" would be appreciated.

Great little site you have here. Looking foreward to an education.

Why not do an Auto-Rx clean with the Valuelessline oil and move to say Pennzoil, Chevron, Schaeffers if you want to stay with dino?
IMO you can do better than the oil you currently use.

Hi and
welcome.gif

First off, an oil that turns dark quickly is just doing its job, so I wouldn't worry too much about the oil turning dark. Consumption and engine noises are more likely to be your best guage on the mechanical condition of your engine unless you plan to do an oil analysis. That's the only sure way to see what's going on inside based on the oil.

You've got a sound plan as far as doing short change intervals to get your engine more or less cleaned out. However, I would suggest that you pick something other than Valvoline. If you read through the UOA section you'll note that Valvoline has posted some of the poorest numbers and shows just about the weakest additive package of any conventional oil. I'd actually suggest you use one of the "High Mileage" oils because these have more detergents as well as a dose of esters that will help in cleaning and seal conditioning.

Sprintman & G-Man,

Thanks much for your input. I always thought Valvoline was a good oil. Ironically, I have been using Chevron Dino exclusively for nearly the last 10 years. The high mileage oil makes sense to me. Will I ever be able to safely make the switch to synthetic?

I use the truck like a truck. Tow heavy loads in mountainous regions and on dusty primitive dirt roads and jeep trails. I think the added protection of full synthetic is worthwhile insurance I am willing to pay for.

We all know they don't give these trucks away anymore. Boy, are they expensive! I am just an average guy with an average job. I gotta make this truck last.

Best regards to all,

Enigma

G-Man,

Forgot to tell you about the engine. Seems to run out real strong. Surprizingly good fuel economy. No oil consumption thus far but only 2k on change so not surprizing. Idles smooth,steady and quiet. A bit of lifter noise but than again I found that to be the case when I bought a new 94 F-150 with the 5.8L. Also noticed in my 88 Bronco w/ 5.0l. I figure inherent with the engine design.

Thanks again,

Enigma

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:
No, I am not that guy. I do wish I had a LS1 Corvette though !

You and me both! I will be getting an LS1 Corvette someday, but it's at least 5 years from now unless a miracle happens. When I get it, it will be my daily driver too (just like my 95 Firebird Formula is, even in the snowy winter)

The new oil is probably just dark from the oil that was in there before, and there's probably some extra sludge still in there from the poor maintenance of the previous owners. A couple of oil changes at the proper intervals will probably fix the colour problem!
You could try using a diesel oil for an oil change or two, rated both SL and either CH-4 or CI-4, for its extra detergency.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I will be getting an LS1 Corvette someday, but it's at least 5 years from now unless a miracle happens. When I get it, it will be my daily driver too (just like my 95 Firebird Formula is, even in the snowy winter)

I hope you put some much narrower and more winter-oriented tires on for that!
offtopic.gif
It's never made sense to me to drive a high performance vehicle in a snowy winter. A few years ago I used to see a new Acura NSX in the winter quite a bit. I always wondered: if they can afford an NSX, why can't they also afford an AWD Subaru or something like that for winter use? The NSX may be a high performance car, but it probably becomes the slowest and worst handling car on the road the minute the snow falls! However, I've heard you don't tend to get the deep snow around TO like we do, Patman. So maybe with decent tires your Firebird works alright.

[ September 10, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

I'll definitely put more suitable tires on it for the winter, although it's not as critical here in Toronto, where 95% of the winter has dry roads, and living just outside of the city in the burbs, most of the time that it does snow, there is enough traffic around to turn it into slush, so it's not very often that you end up driving in deep snow around here. During those rare days I can always just stay home from work or find another way around.

First off
welcome.gif

By your post it looks like you came from the F150 site. I'm glad they pointed you in the right direction.

On any used vehicle that I buy, my #1 priority is to change out suspect fluids. I'd also recommend doing an Auto-RX flush.

If your going to do a lot of pulling hauling, definately have the transmission serviced, thing about going synthetic with that first, as heat/lack of service kills more transmissions than anything.

Good luck with your truck, I've got a 97F150 and that is a strong running engine.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
Patman,
I guess I added those last two lines to my post just as you were posting!

Indeed I was!
smile.gif

You're right, I've had no major problems getting around Toronto in my Firebird in the winter, having traction control definitely helps, although with careful application of the throttle I find it doesn't kick in very often anyhow. I've managed to make it through the winters by just switching to all season performance tires (Dunlop SP Sport 5000s) , still in the stock 245-50-16 size.

Sorry for drifting off topic Enigma.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Why not do an Auto-Rx clean with the Valuelessline oil and move to say Pennzoil, Chevron, Schaeffers if you want to stay with dino?
IMO you can do better than the oil you currently use.

Enigma,

Agree completely with sprintman. You NEED to do an engine cleaning and IMHO there are better oils than you are using.

MSparks,

I did indeed get a referral from F150 online. I go by Enigma66 there. I must say the referral turned out to be a peach! Very friendly forum you have here. Very patient with us "greenhorns"! It is truly appreciated!

I never used to "wrench" much. Did not have the knowledge or skills to pull it off. I am reading posts, asking questions and starting to do little projects on my own and having a ball!

Thanks to all for taking the time to post!
Enigma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back