Newbie question about Castrol oil spec...

Hi all,

Firstly, please excuse my lack of knowledge/ignorence but I've come to this forum for some advice.

My audi RS3 was serviced yesterday by a reputable independent garage who I've used before. I requested before the service that they use Castrol Edge 5w-30 oil as this is what the car has had since new (always previously serviced by Audi but at 5 years I decided to change to independent).

I picked the car up yesterday and received the remaining 1.5 litre of Castrol Edge 5w 30 oil (they bought x 2 4litre cans) for ongoing top ups. All fine I thought.

However, I'm now worried as after looking at the Castrol Edge container it isn't VW 504 / 507 spec they've used. Instead it's BMW LL04 / MB spec.

I was expecting them to use Castrol Edge Longlife (audi/vw approved) but instead they've used Castrol Edge "M" (which I understand is BMW spec but meets other approvals - just not VW which I find odd?).

The chap I collected the car from appears to know his stuff and believes it is fine. Can anyone here put my mind at ease or do I seriously need to be looking to change the oil? I want to make sure my engine is looked after.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Those are not the same spec as you noted, they are quite similar however and I wouldn't think twice about it for a vehicle out of warranty. Draining it would be pointless obsessing IMO.

Those are not the same spec as you noted, they are quite similar however and I wouldn't think twice about it for a vehicle out of warranty. Draining it would be pointless obsessing IMO.
Thank you and this is really what I wanted to know. Would changing the oil for the same equivalent but in 504 spec be a complete waste of money? I'm really just looking to make sure that I'm not going to suffer some form of damage as a result of this little mishap.

Thanks again

If you want the Castrol that is VW approved, go to the dealer and buy oil. However, VW/Audi has ended their relationship with Castrol and now have the "VW OIL" made by Mobil (so the story goes). That being the case, just pick up the VW approved European Mobil 1 at Walmart and use it.

You'll be fine.
Castrol M has ACEA C3 specification with HTHS ≥3.5 which is same as VW50400. Castrol M has lower SA % compare to VW50400.

Welcome. Yeah, I agree with the comments you have received so far. I think you'll be fine with that oil.

You'll be fine.
Castrol M has ACEA C3 specification with HTHS ≥3.5 which is same as VW50400. Castrol M has lower SA % compare to VW50400.
Thanks this is really useful to know. So the specification of the two oils are near identical by the looks of it. Just making sure there isn't any obvious disadvantage or concern using the M spec instead.

Based on the advice given I'll stop worrying and keep it as it is.

Thanks this is really useful to know. So the specification of the two oils are near identical by the looks of it. Just making sure there isn't any obvious disadvantage or concern using the M spec instead.

Based on the advice given I'll stop worrying and keep it as it is.
On your next oil change select one of the oils on this list.

Attachments

• 504-507.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 108
Here is what your Audi will think "I have to blow up myself because they put BMW oil in my body"????? LOL!!!

VW504.00/507.00 is not a waste of money. However, MB229.51 and BMW LL04 are very stringent and in some aspects more stringent than VW 504.00/507.00. So, do not dump oil.
Thanks - again really useful to know..

VW504.00/507.00 is not a waste of money. However, MB229.51 and BMW LL04 are very stringent and in some aspects more stringent than VW 504.00/507.00. So, do not dump oil.
Can you elaborate how are they more stringent than VW504.00/507.00?

MB229.51 has more stringent limits on deposits, Noack etc.
BMW doesn’t, but has ridiculous limits on oxidation.
How about VW504.00/507.00? How does one know which approval has more stringent tests? Is there a source? THanks

How about VW504.00/507.00? How does one know which approval has more stringent tests? Is there a source? THanks
Didn’t you have that conversation already painfx?

Didn’t you have that conversation already painfx?

That thread did not answered my question.

Tests are specific to an engine! Lubrizol comparative tool will tell you that VW504.00/507.00 has more stringent wear test than xxxx. But, Lubrizol will also tell you NOT to compare different approvals bcs. tests are developed with specific engines in mind.
That being said, you will have a hard time finding oil that meets only VW approvals or BMW approvals short of OE oils, and even they might be able to be approved for various approvals, but purchasing company (let’s say VW) wants what matters to them.
For YOUR vehicle approval for that vehicle matters. Having other approvals is fine, desirable and good, but in the end testing is done using parameters of your engine.

Tests are specific to an engine! Lubrizol comparative tool will tell you that VW504.00/507.00 has more stringent wear test than xxxx. But, Lubrizol will also tell you NOT to compare different approvals bcs. tests are developed with specific engines in mind.
That being said, you will have a hard time finding oil that meets only VW approvals or BMW approvals short of OE oils, and even they might be able to be approved for various approvals, but purchasing company (let’s say VW) wants what matters to them.
For YOUR vehicle approval for that vehicle matters. Having other approvals is fine, desirable and good, but in the end testing is done using parameters of your engine.
I was asking how do you know the approval has stringent tests. Where can I read about that? In this thread I wasn't referring to the Lubrizol comparative tool. Thank you.

Back