New vehicle break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new Suburban with the 5.3L engine. I want to break-in this engine properly. My plan is to leave the factory oil and filter in for a 1000 miles. I plan to change the oil and filter at 1000 mile increments until I reach the 3000 mile mark. At this time I plan to switch over to a synthetic oil.
Does anyone have any opinions on this?
What brand of oil would you use during this break-in period?

Thanks

[ December 27, 2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: westex39 ]

If it were me I'd do the first change at 500 miles, but 1000 miles is probably still safe too. It sounds like a good plan, as the frequent changes at first gets the extra wear metals out.

BTW, I'd probably go with Castrol GTX during this time, but honestly, any low cost oil will do fine since you're only leaving it in a short time.

PS-I just bought a 4L jug of Castrol GTX 5w30 for my sister's car from Walmart, and it was on sale for $5.96 CDN, which is only $3.81 US!

[ December 27, 2002, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Westex39 - Check out the discussion on this topic from 12/24 titled "Breakin Oil" for additional info. Also, this topic was recently discussed in the forum at miatanet.com

You oil change schedule seems fine. I'd stick to a brand name dino like Castrol, Mobil Drive Clean etc... during the 1st 3K miles and then make the synthetic switch. Use a high quality filer too!

Which synthetic & weight do you plan on using after 3K miles?

First 500 miles keep factory oil in there - take it easy on the engine.

Next 500 miles, use dino and whatever weight they recommend. Take it easy.

Once you get to 1000 - change to synthetic and start thrashing the engine like you would normally.

Harbor,

I haven't made up my mine which synthetic brand I'm going to use, either Mobil 1 or Amsoil in a 5W-30 weight.

Westex

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
First 500 miles keep factory oil in there - take it easy on the engine.

Next 500 miles, use dino and whatever weight they recommend. Take it easy.

Once you get to 1000 - change to synthetic and start thrashing the engine like you would normally.

In my new vette I plan to change oil the first time at 500 miles which has Mobile 1 syn in it. I was going to put Syn back in it but should I use Dino oil for the next 500 miles before switching back to Syn?

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
Just picked up a new Suburban with the 5.3L engine. I want to break-in this engine properly. My plan is to leave the factory oil and filter in for a 1000 miles. I plan to change the oil and filter at 1000 mile increments until I reach the 3000 mile mark. At this time I plan to switch over to a synthetic oil.
Does anyone have any opinions on this?
What brand of oil would you use during this break-in period?

Thanks

If it were mine I would heat cycle it 5 or so times and before 300 miles then seat the rings by running it up to 1k less then redline and coast back down 5 times and at 500 miles put that groovy 10/30 Chevron Supreme available in TX and not here in Oklahoma! Argggg " But I found a substitute
smile.gif
" or some 10/30 Motorcraft oil if available.Run that for 2500 miles,then filter change and another 2500 then synthetic of your choice. I see no reason to not use the 10/30 Supersyn though where you live.It gets pretty hot there in Summer,and not too cold in winter correct ?

Bear in mind that the engine in any new vehicle has already been somewhat abused.
I had the good fortune to tour a GM assembly plant a few years ago and at the end of the production line the engine is started, revved to screaming and slammed into gear burning rubber all the way to the upholstey installation area.
Every single vehicle gets this "treatment" and who knows what happens behind the scenes. I would say that you needn't be overly concerned about "break in" with a new vehicle.
A freshly built "zero time" engine is a different story and there are as many "proper procedures" as there are engine builders. These variations may be due to such things as choice of materials,clearances,finishing techniques ETC.
Some builders say never to break in with detergent oil, others insist on it.
Go Figure

Corvettes and Vipers come from the factory with Mobil 1 in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back