New/Used Suburban 5.3 4x4 174k Looks a bit crusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, Just purchased the burb Last week. Its a one owner truck , new trans at 163k, tons of svc/repair records, Overall very nice. Now the bad: Peering down the oil filler tube and inspecting the Oil cap there is this Dark Copper colored residue on both. I was able to wipe it off the oil cap with just my finger, I thought it would be hard, but its just soft, almost like a wet sawdust type of coating? From the records it looks like he did the oil change's at places like Midas / jiffy lube Every 5 to 7k. May have missed a few changes as well. Any suggestions for Cleaning this engine up a bit? It runs Very well, Just concerned about the dark Copper colored coating and poss. other Deposits in the Engine. Thanks Again

Are you able to see the rocker arms? My filler cap and tube has the same brown discoloration but when I pulled the valve cover the top end is clean. I've also removed the filler tube since it's a high spot for condensation/moisture which is what you are seeing.

Thanks, I'll take another look. Do you have the same/similar vehicle? How many miles on yours? When you removed the tube, is their a new cap that fits on the valve cover?

I would second the idea that it could very likely just be condensation at the high point of the fill tube. Without seeing a little further down (eg under the valve covers), it's likely too soon to panic.

Have you ever cut open the filter? How did it look?

Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
Greetings, Just purchased the burb Last week. Its a one owner truck , new trans at 163k, tons of svc/repair records, Overall very nice. Now the bad: Peering down the oil filler tube and inspecting the Oil cap there is this Dark Copper colored residue on both. I was able to wipe it off the oil cap with just my finger, I thought it would be hard, but its just soft, almost like a wet sawdust type of coating? From the records it looks like he did the oil change's at places like Midas / jiffy lube Every 5 to 7k. May have missed a few changes as well. Any suggestions for Cleaning this engine up a bit? It runs Very well, Just concerned about the dark Copper colored coating and poss. other Deposits in the Engine. Thanks Again

I would not give too much importance from what you can see down the oil fill. Pull a valve cover to get a good picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back