2004 Toyota Avalon Reduced Shifting Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than reporting some oil deals this is my first time posting outside of the deals and rebates forum. Obviously I'm looking for a bit of expertise or experience.

Roughly 1000 miles ago I purchased a 1 owner 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS with the A541E transmission. Service history on the vehicle was very complete with receipts indicating an independent shop owned by a former Toyota master tech performed Transmission services at 47K and again at 63K. These services occurred in 2013 and 2015 respectively. The vehicle was owned by a senior citizen who was a retired locomotive mechanic. His records included handwritten notes and were extremely "proactive" with even part numbers included. The car's interior and exterior are fantastic for 15 years old so indications are the car was respected and was driven appropriately. Admittedly these are only observations and I know the life the car actually lived is unknown.

I purchased the vehicle with 103K miles on it. The vehicle spent its first 4 years in NY and the rest of its life in coastal SC. Everything ran well on the vehicle and I was seeing 27MPG at 75MPH on flat land. I also noticed the shifting "felt" normal. Not knowing how many short trips it has seen since 67K, and assuming the light golden color of the transmission fluid meant a change was in order, I began a cycle of multiple drain and fill intervals. The original fluid was not dark brown, did not smell burned, and still smelled like transmission fluid. I could not notice any remaining reddish color though. I have nothing on my receipts indicating what type of fluid was used by the independent shop.

As many of you know this generation of Aisin transmission calls for Dexron II or III on the dipstick. The dealer recommended Type T-IV. Based on my readings here I opted for red cap Valvoline MaxLife ATF and knew I'd recover roughly 2.5 to 3 quarts per drain and fill. The first drain and fill went off without a hitch, I recovered 2.75 quarts and refilled with the same amount. After heating the fluid it was perfect on the dipstick and all was well for the next 200 miles. Then I did the second drain and fill with exactly the same results as the first. I never noticed a change in shift quality as it was never problematic to begin with. The fluid remained golden brown colored but did begin to lighten somewhat. Glittery flecks have been present but are what I'd consider normal and not excessive.

Two weeks ago I did a third drain and fill, have reached roughly the 8 quart exchanged mark, and now I'm sensing something different with the transmission. It is not something I like though. Here's what my "from the seat" diagnosis is telling me....

1. The car seems to stay in gears longer. This is especially obvious on the 3-4 shift.
2. Lockup of the TC now seems to be happening at higher speeds. I can hit 50 mph and with any amount of gas pedal action lockup is not happening.
3. Downshifting can be clunky and the car will sometimes not downshift below third if I take turns while moving above 20-25 mph. As you can imagine accelerating in third isn't great.
4. Downshifts can feel abrupt and fast at times.

The fluid smells fine and the color is less golden brown and now more reddish yellow on a white paper towel.

From a physics standpoint I cannot imagine the MaxLife ATF is altering fluid and pump pressures too much. My research here leads me to believe the 100 degree viscosity of my brand new MaxLife should be approximately what I'd expect from Dexron II or III and even Type T-IV after 40-45K of shearing on the fluid. If the 63K trans service done in 2015 used Toyota WS or any other LV fluid I'd assume similar viscosity and less shear at my starting state 3 drain and fills ago. I just can't believe the MaxLife would lead to lower shifting performance. Is it possible the A541E needs higher 100 degree viscosity to perform without issues? I also can't imagine an Aisin transmission serviced at 47K, 63K and now 103K would be much worse off than a majority of the millions of transmissions on the road today.

With all of the positive reviews about MaxLife ATF in many makes and models I'm curious about what the experts think. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Whatever you used on the third drain and fill is not working. Dump it out a couple more times and put in exactly what the manufacturer recommends. I am not a transmission expert at all but change it myself on my 2012 Honda Civic and have changed it on other cars as well.

MaxLife ATF is well regarded here, but for some reason your transmission doesn't seem to like it. Since fluid changes are about the least expensive thing you can do to a transmission, I would do a line disconnect and do a complete exchange with Toyota branded fluid. Worth a try...

Originally Posted by Leo99
Why is it golden colored and not red?

Good question, Is there a possibility that coolant is getting in there?

I've checked for that and have noticed no changes to the coolant level. A fluid analysis is always a possibility. Considering I've changed out roughly 8 quarts I'd think enough coolant loss to equal diluting the dark red MaxLife would be noticeable in the coolant tank. All seems well there.

My assumptions on the color are that the original fluid faded over time. The Hyundai SP-III fluid was known to fade very fast to a light brownish color. I've not dropped the pan and have been filling through the dipstick tube. I also assumed the transmission would fully cycle the fluid over time. Is it possible 150 to 200 miles between changes are not allowing the fluid throughout the system to cycle through fast enough to keep me from draining a significant portion of my newest fluid?

To Answer Leo99's question the 2.75 quarts drained looked maroon in the collection pan the last time. The first time I had 2.75 quarts in the pan it was much less reddish. Wipes from the dipstick on a white napkin are yielding a pink halo around the fluid deposit.

Should I now return to standard Dexron III/Mercon equivalent or try the Toyota Type T-IV? I believe the Avalon went straight to Toyota WS in 2005 and never specified Type T-IV at all. Mobil makes an equivalent fluid to the spec met by Type T-IV but the Avalon never called for the spec.

I use our bulk Synthetic ATF at work in all Toyota's, and I've never had a complaint.

I don't know if the A541 has a logic circuit, but could it be that you're just driving it differently and the computer is adjusting? Try disconnecting the negative terminal and touching it to the positive for 10 seconds to clear the Keep Alive Memory, and then drive it as normal for a few hundred miles.

I really doubt fluid is a problem. The A541 is a pretty stout transmission, and doesn't seem "picky" about fluid. If it spec'd Dex III, any synthetic meeting Dex IV should be perfectly acceptable.

As far as fluid color, the "gold" is odd, but the maroon color of the drain sounds more normal. Most Toyota transmissions I drain are a dark purple/maroon color. So are many of the new Ford's with the 6F line of transmissions. Ford actually issued a TSB, I believe, that said the darker purple color shouldn't be considered a concern.

I would check the TPS sensor along with adjusting the Throttle Cable & Throttle Valve Cable. (Throttle Cable adjuster is under the Cruise Motor Cover)

TCC scheduling & Shift scheduling are based on TPS Sensor & VSS Sensor inputs, Line Pressure is controlled by the TV Cable.

A541E's are not very picky about ATF......I'm running Mobil Delvac 1 ATF in mine. Though I wouldn't run a LV ATF.

Return to Toyota T-IV. It was 2006 when they went with the WS ATF.

The Aisin A541E is a stout and very reliable transmission. Toyota definitely called for Dexron III ATF in the A-series automatics. BTW/FYI, Toyota's Dexron ATF is gold in color, not red.
They used T-IV ATF in the early U-series automatics and switched to WS ATF in the later ones. The Aisin U151E was not put into the Avalon until 2005.
The MaxLife ATF you put in there will be fine. From my experience, shifting performance will improve if you put Lubegard Red in it.
The "E" on the end of the transmission model number indicates that the transmission has electronic shift control so the computer is controlling the transmission shifting and converter lockup. A computer reset and relearn (like 14Accent recommended) should be done since the driver and driving habits have now changed, it needs to learn the new driving habits.

Last edited:
I have a 1999 Avalon with an almost identical drivetrain. About 3 weeks ago, I did a trans drain/fill and filter replacement, switching to Maxlife with a bottle of Lubegard Red. I can say, after a couple hundred miles, the transmission feels brand new. I haven't experienced anything odd. Maybe the reset will clear things. I didn't reset mine. I also did plugs and wires at the same time. The car feels brand new to me.

As others have said, a rugged and reliable transmission that isn't picky about much. Something sounds odd.

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack
I have a 1999 Avalon with an almost identical drivetrain. About 3 weeks ago, I did a trans drain/fill and filter replacement, switching to Maxlife with a bottle of Lubegard Red. I can say, after a couple hundred miles, the transmission feels brand new. I haven't experienced anything odd. Maybe the reset will clear things. I didn't reset mine. I also did plugs and wires at the same time. The car feels brand new to me.

As others have said, a rugged and reliable transmission that isn't picky about much. Something sounds odd.

IMO, a new driver and driving habits are causing the shifting problem the OP is experiencing.

Originally Posted by wag123
The Aisin A541E is a stout and very reliable transmission. Toyota definitely called for Dexron III ATF in the A-series automatics. BTW/FYI, Toyota's Dexron ATF is gold in color, not red.
They used T-IV ATF in the early U-series automatics and switched to WS ATF in the later ones. The Aisin U151E was not put into the Avalon until 2005.
The MaxLife ATF you put in there will be fine. From my experience, shifting performance will improve if you put Lubegard Red in it.
The "E" on the end of the transmission model number indicates that the transmission has electronic shift control so the computer is controlling the transmission shifting and converter lockup. A computer reset and relearn (like 14Accent recommended) should be done since the driver and driving habits have now changed, it needs to learn the new driving habits.

I highly doubt this unit has "Adaptive" shift strategies as line pressure is not controlled electronically, I could be wrong as I don't have access to the shift tables in the calibration.
My Avalon has 3 coolant Temp Sensors, One of them affects shift scheduling as mine will hold gears & inhibit lock-up 'til the engine is up to temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back