new tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a fairly elaborate sound system throughout the house. Speakers everywhere.

I got a cheap Panasonic Blu-ray to go with it for TV and didn't realize it has LOTS more tricks!

Can anyone tell me how to integrate it into my home network? Can I stream satellite radio off my computer?

Too cool. I'm not a good techie but I like it.

Not sure which particular player you bought, but take a look at its owner's manual. If it supports DLNA, then you should be able to just share files/folders on your PC and then the DVD player should be able to access them and play them. There may also be a place in its menu to type in a URL of a radio station that streams live music, if that's what you're looking for.

The whole thing is completely unknown to me, but I am having fun learning.

Please define the acronym "DLNA" for me. Thanks.

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is just an interoperability standard that enables sharing of digital media across various devices. My suggestion was to open up your DVD player's owner manual as it probably describes step by step what you need to do to get this to work.

If your music is on a Windows PC, the first thing you'll need to do is probably right click on the folder that houses your media and "Share" it so that it becomes visible on the network to all your other devices.

Also take a look here:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/sto...perating+System

Steve, doggone it, I was happily ignorant of this stuff until reading this thread. Will soon go to a Panasonic 32" flatpahel with their VIERA linkup system- a Panasonic BR player should go with the Panasonic TV extra well I'd think. What model did you get?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is just an interoperability standard that enables sharing of digital media across various devices. My suggestion was to open up your DVD player's owner manual as it probably describes step by step what you need to do to get this to work.

If your music is on a Windows PC, the first thing you'll need to do is probably right click on the folder that houses your media and "Share" it so that it becomes visible on the network to all your other devices.

Also take a look here:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/sto...perating+System

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

I did read the manual, it's extremely brief and does not help much when the many acronyms such as DLNA are used without definition. You shed another small ray of light into the darkness!

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Steve, doggone it, I was happily ignorant of this stuff until reading this thread. Will soon go to a Panasonic 32" flatpahel with their VIERA linkup system- a Panasonic BR player should go with the Panasonic TV extra well I'd think. What model did you get?

Congrats on joining the club! Don't feel bad, I am learning fast and you can too.

The Blu-Ray I purchased was at the recommendation of a very good home media installer guy I used, VERY informative.

Model # DMP-BDT220, less than 140 bucks. A lot of features for the money.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I did read the manual, it's extremely brief and does not help much when the many acronyms such as DLNA are used without definition.

I just looked at the manual,and you are absolutely right - there is very little info there on how to set it up. I was expecting Panasonic to do a better job at it. I'm no expert on networked DVD player setups, so I can't really provide detailed help. You may want to look at http://www.avsforum.com/f/ for help.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much Pete!

As of today I have successfully gotten the thing to join my home network. I was running you tube and such, man this is fun!

Never had such a nice sound before in my life. Really enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back