New Tundra 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted earlier in HDEO by mistake.
Engine is noisy at cold start vs running temps.
600 miles.
Service Mgr. can not confirm factory fill(0w20 vs 5w20).
I'd like to change oil to Formula Shell Synthetic 5w20 to see if there is a noticable difference with cold start. Anyone with the 5.7L notice any peculiar noise @ cold starts? The web is loaded with noise issues regarding this engines.
I live in So. NJ. The coldest morning I've seen is 35.
0w20 at startup would seem the better choice, but....
should I give the SOPUS 5w20 a shot to see if it helps?
Thanks

I think it's an excellent oil; plus, it'll keep your rubber/neoprene seals in good condition all the way up to 400K.

I would err on the thinner side and use either Toyota's 0w-20 or Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. During a cold start, it is ideal that the oil flow as quickly as possible. I remember another member who had a Tacoma noted that the 0 weight oil helped with his cold start noise. Since you live in New Jersey, I would use the 0 weight without hesitation--if the engine still made a racket, then go try the 5w oil.

Remember this engine is not 'broken in' yet; the cold start noise may disappear once the engine has had time to accumulate some mileage.

Thanks Crazy and others.
It's new to me. It's a great tuck.
Just a bit noisy at cold start.
I'll let it warm up a few minutes for
the time being. If/when I jump to a 5w20 I'll
post the results if there is a noticable change.

TDX

Usually when engines are noisy for any given reason, it's directly related to the oil's viscosity. Going up
or down in viscosity usually has more affect on engine noise than choosing a different brand would.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Why?

That is his recommendation for everything.

That's true, last year he told me to start putting it on my cornflakes!!

Just kidding..

Seriously, the Toyota 0W-20 is what I would try, it's a very good oil and flows extremely well in cold weather, which may help with the noise issue you're having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back