New Tundra cold.start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine is very noisy at cold start vs running temps.
600 miles.
Service Mgr. can not confirm factory fill(0w20 vs 5w20).
I'd like to change oil only, no filter,
to Formula Shell Synthetic 5w20 to see if there is
a noticable difference with cold stsrt. Anyone with the 5.7L notice any peculiar noise @ cold starts? The web is loaded with noise issues regarding this engines.
I live in So. NJ. The coldest morning I've seen is 35.
0w20 at startup would seem the better choice, but....
should I give the SOPUS 5w20 a shot to see if it helps?
Thanks

Run it to 1k miles... and change only the oil?? Cutting corners like that is not good for a new engine, change the filter too who knows what got caught in the FF.

It may just be a noisy engine. With 600 miles, you should be able to go to the dealer first thing any morning and do a cold start on another that has sat far longer than yours to compare.

Quote:
The web is loaded with noise issues regarding this engines

Reports of piston slap right?
Get it back to the dealer overnight and let them hear it, if its really piston slap with only 600 miles on the clock i would demand another truck not a replacement short block.
A slapper kills the resale value to say nothing about your nerves listening to that horrible racket.
No oil will quieten a true piston slapper.

49.gif

I am confident that what I am hearing is not piston slap.
I've heard similar cold start noise on a Benz E430 that I used to have (0w40 M1),as well as the 02 Ram 4.7(Formula Shell Syn 5w30) that was recently sold. In my opinion,the noise is from the valve train.
I have had it to the dealer and was told it was normal.
I'll switch to 5w20 w/ new filter and take a listen as I think the energy conserving 0w oil was factory fill.
It gets colder every night here.
Might the 0w oil be too light in this atarting temp range (35-50)?
Thanks

I had a 08 Tundra at work that was VERY noisy when cold. I figured it was piston-related since it varied with throttle load.

We ran the oil out to 5000 miles, maybe 7000 on occasion. Noise definitely got worse with more miles on the oil. I know that shouldn't be piston slap, but I've heard valve noises, and they didn't change with throttle load like this did.

Listening to that every startup in the winter really threw a buckeet of cold water on the Toyota experience.

Quote:
I am confident that what I am hearing is not piston slap

Thats good, its hard to imagine noises over the forum.
After owning one slapper i will never keep another one, it just ruins the whole experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back