New truck tires?

Are any of those 3 mountain peak rated?

May as well go that route if you're in this price range of tire.

Defender ltx. Just to add, last night I had to put my truck in 4x4 on my paved drive.

To be fair, I was pulling a trailer and the drive was wet. It is also steep in sections. I had major wheel slip. Tires also have 50k miles and are probably due for replacement.

Still think this is a great tire for most people but it is not the goat as many people think.

Defender ltx. Just to add, last night I had to put my truck in 4x4 on my paved drive.

To be fair, I was pulling a trailer and the drive was wet. It is also steep in sections. I had major wheel slip. Tires also have 50k miles and are probably due for replacement.

Still think this is a great tire for most people but it is not the goat as many people think.
To be fair, they're not off-road or even AT tires. They're a highway/"all-season" tire that does okay in some off-road situations.

To be fair, they're not off-road or even AT tires. They're a highway/"all-season" tire that does okay in some off-road situations.
well my driveway is blacktop, so it's not offroad so to speak

/shrug

I am just speaking in general terms. Michelin considers it an all-season or highway tire.
I agree and generally would recommend this tire to most people for on road use. I don't think there are tires that are better, but I do think there are some that are equal. (for its described use)

Buck91 I just put my 5th set of Michelin Defenders on my 2011 Expedition (currently 316k miles)
I do lots of Highway driving and replace them @ 75k miles. The tires normally have 6/32'nds of tread left and I sell them on Craigslist for $250-$300.
You can't go wrong with the Michelin Defenders
Good Luck!

I still think they are great tires. In my years of use they have great wear and excellent highway personality. Also very good in rain, being in the SE that is important. I was in 2 snow storms with them in the last couple of years and felt they could have been better. I also have issues with them in tall wet grass and anything remotely muddy, but the are not really designed for that.
I’m on my 3rd set of the LTX M/S (now, actually, this latest set is the Defender LTX) on my Tacoma.

My experience with them mirrors yours pretty much exactly.

We had a significant snow event in January, and they were not great, but they’re pretty worn now. And, I have a PreRunner (2WD). Very light at the back end.

Traction in the cold and wet definitely suffers a bit once you get about half way through your tread life.

I might get rid of them this winter and try something else.

Great highway tire, though. Quiet, smooth.

Very good at cutting through standing water on the highway. SO much better than the Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts that came OEM on my wife’s 4Runner. Those things hydroplane like crazy…and if you compare the tread design to the LTX, you’ll see why. The Dueler can’t evacuate the water out the sides. No channels for it to escape.

For a tire that’s good in the wet, but a little more aggro than the LTX, the Cooper Discoverer 4S looks promising. However, I’ve heard people complain about Coopers being hard to balance.

Reactions: GON
Nitto Exo Grappler is 3-peak rated also. I bought a set of this tire from 4wheelonline. So far, I am impressed. The truck rides smoothly and feels stable at highway speeds. Good traction in mud and loose dirt surfaces, though I haven't tried them in the snow.

Back