New truck tires?

Looking to re-shoe the wife's truck before winter and shopping around currently. My default is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S but I'm real tempted by LTX A/T2 as well as Goodyear's All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. I'm sure in practice any of these three would be an excellent tire but I'd like to balance the best MPG along with the best snow & wet traction (I know, kind of opposite priorities). Does anybody think the Defender LTX M/S would provide any measurable benefit to MPGs or should I just go with the GY which is 3PMS (but only 640AB as opposed to 800AA)?

I run the Michelin Defender and the Michelin LTX A/T2 on my F350s.. Both outstanding tires. I prefer the Defenders, they have a longer wear rating and may be a bit quieter.

I have a set of the Goodyear kevlar AT tires on my 2009 Colorado. They have been satisfactory. They are considerably quieter than the original factory Bridgestone tires. The tread seems to shed mud much quicker than the Bridgestones. The Bridgstones would be releasing noisy clumps of mud for several miles while the Goodyears seem to let go of most of it within a few hundred yards. Most of the "AT" is worn off the tread now. They're still good highway tread tires. I could get another set of these, or the Michelins.

I currently am running the Michelin AT2 on my Tundra (factory spec) and despite the mediocre reviews, I think they are excellent. Don’t have much experience with them in the snow because I have a beater AWD commuter car. In the rain and cold they have been great. I would gladly run them again. However for the next set I will get the LTX cause those things are down right incredible in all conditions…especially in the winter (I KNOW it will never replace a true winter tire!). For what they are, they are excellent in the winter when driven conservatively. Truthfully it’s the pinnacle tire for me and I have not found a tire as good in all arenas. It’s easy to find a tire that does better in certain areas or two but as a whole…nope.

I just installed 33.5" Kenda Klever RT's on my F150. We had a 5 hour one way trip up North to go ATV riding and they towed well and were surprisingly quiet. They are a hybrid mud/AT tire. I'm sure they are not going to get the mileage of the Michelins, but I figured I'd post in case you decided on trying something more aggressive.

KleverCapture.JPG

I have defender ltx on my super duty. Great highway tire but I am not sure I would have them on my truck if I had to deal with snow. The little bit of snow I was in with them I was not impressed. Also they slip on anything that is not paved, I had to go 4x4 on my wet grass recently. I like them in the rain and in the dry just fine.

I have the load E LTX M/S and the michies are just good tires. the high pressure tires have less rolling resistance so better mpg. I keep mine ~45psi for daily driving and pump up as needed to haul or tow. the chunky knobby tires if youre gonna go there or if you're going for a tough look but may cost mpg.

I have defender ltx on my super duty. Great highway tire but I am not sure I would have them on my truck if I had to deal with snow. The little bit of snow I was in with them I was not impressed. Also they slip on anything that is not paved, I had to go 4x4 on my wet grass recently. I like them in the rain and in the dry just fine.

im actually surprised to hear this. I’ve ran these tires on other vehicles and they were great. Plus tons of positive reviews for them floating around. Of course, within their limits.

AT2 on my truck currently with 50k on them, will probably replace with the same again next time. Have been pretty happy with them in all conditions, should see 60k if I go all the way to the replacement bar indicator on the tire.

I just put yoko geolandar GO15 ATs on mine. It’s a light AT, 3pmsf. It’s quiet and is probably the best light duty AT I’ve known for mpg so far. Continental ATs were slightly quieter. I would expect longer wear out of the LTXs, but I prefer the wet traction which accompanies softer rubber - worth the trade off for me. I’d recommend these as an reputable alternate.

I have not tried these personally but the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate appear to be a compromise between Defender LTX M/S and the LTX A/T2. I have always had good luck with Michelin.

Defender LTX M/S.

Out west they do great in the snow and wet, and do plenty well off-road in the dry. Note: I have a Tacoma.

We ran f250’s and 350’s in the Sierras with Michelin’s year round. No issues.

Last edited:
I have not tried these personally but the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate appear to be a compromise between Defender LTX M/S and the LTX A/T2. I have always had good luck with Michelin.

I was looking at these a little, though are are quite a bit pricier than even the LTX MS. I do strongly prefer a 3pms tire but not sure it’s worth the cost here?

I run the Defender LTX M/S and they do well. I think it’s a Highway oriented Tire. It seems to get good reviews in many categories. I think the tread wear is better than most competitors. I would guess that could equate to better handling and braking distances over other tires that wear faster. It is probably not well suited for All Terrain use however

im actually surprised to hear this. I’ve ran these tires on other vehicles and they were great. Plus tons of positive reviews for them floating around. Of course, within their limits.
I still think they are great tires. In my years of use they have great wear and excellent highway personality. Also very good in rain, being in the SE that is important. I was in 2 snow storms with them in the last couple of years and felt they could have been better. I also have issues with them in tall wet grass and anything remotely muddy, but the are not really designed for that.

Back