New Trimmer stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
Thought I'd post up and see if anyone can help. I have a newer Husqvarna trimmer, just purchased end of last season. I think its this model, or very close to it http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/128l/952711946/

The first couple runs of fuel were using a pre-mixed solution that came with it (some promotional thing home depot was running). It ran great, but seemed to stall if it idled for any amount of time. I thought, OK, maybe its just breaking in.

After a couple uses now, it still stalls idling, even sufficiently warmed up. Now the fuel is a mixture of 93 octane and the provided oil. It runs great, starts right up, but dies at idle. is this normal? I had an older much cheaper Toro that never stalled at idle.

Any ideas welcome.

No, it's not normal for it to stall at idle. I'm not sure if those new small carbs are adjustable; since it's new and under warranty, and I'd simply have it repaired/adjusted under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
No, it's not normal for it to stall at idle. I'm not sure if those new small carbs are adjustable; since it's new and under warranty, and I'd simply have it repaired/adjusted under warranty.

they are adjustable. should be covered under warranty unless its dirty/old gas etc

He bought it at Home Depot, good luck getting prompt warranty service. They will either send it out or send him to a dealer. He'll be low priority at the dealer since he didn't purchase it from them. Even EPA 2 cycle carbs are adjustable. You just need the correct style adjuster. You can purchase them off Ebay easily and cheaply, I just did for my equipment. Got a set of 4 different style adjusters, 3 which fit my different machines, for ~$18 delivered in 3 days. You can buy a single adjuster if that's all you need. Be aware that some come directly from overseas which can take a lot longer to get.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Look for a screw that adjust the idle. Should be right next to the butterfly on the carburetor.

On the replacement carburetor I got for my older string trimmer the idle screw was the same EPA style as the mixture screws, a "PacMan Teeth" design
frown.gif
. I probably could have used pliers but I need to adjust the low speed mixture screw anyway.

Whimsey

adjust the carb... makes sense. I'll open it up tonight and take a look. Thanks guys.

The idle screw is a phillips, only the high and low screw are the EPA screws.

You can make your own adjustment tools with the cheap white body Bic pens and a lighter. You can also make them out of small brass tubes with some epoxy putty shoved in. It's not like they have to hold up to any force.

Just replace carburetor diaphrabms with new set...had exactly the same issue with new chainsaw...

They are often junk from factory!

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine

You can make your own adjustment tools with the cheap white body Bic pens and a lighter. You can also make them out of small brass tubes with some epoxy putty shoved in. It's not like they have to hold up to any force.

When you say "high and low screws" what do you mean?

Originally Posted By: 97K15004WD
Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine

When you say "high and low screws" what do you mean?

Not to offend but if you don't know that don't touch them. You can mess the thing up bad if you don't know what you are doing.

Since it is new take it back. Don't mess with it. If you take it to a husky dealer and the give you grief walk out the door. If they aren't willing to help you then they don't deserve to have any business.

None taken. Normally a carb will have an air bleed screw for idle and a screw for "high" speed that controls the amount of premix to prevent over-rich or over-lean conditions. I am requesting clarification to confirm. Oh, and an idle adjustment screw to set the idle speed.....

Sounds like adjusting the idle up a bit will solve your problem if it runs fine at all other speeds and throttles up quick.

There should be a small screw that acts as a stop to the throttle butterfly on the carburetor. Adjust that screw slowly inward while running it until it doesn't stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back