New 2024 Toyota Tacoma

There is one potential takeaway from this and it's a sore subject for me because Toyota deleted the transmission cooler after 2019 on the last generation Tundra and I can easily pull temps of +225F just driving on the highway unloaded. The fact that this was 1500lbs under its tow rating and the transmission almost overheated after 2 miles is concerning to me. Does Toyota have a habit of undercooling transmissions in vehicles where towing is likely?
Should that trek just been done in 4LO? I watched it a few days ago (not going to do it again) and if I recall correctly, he used 4HI. Maybe I'm wrong................

I think in general. The 2.2L I4 that I had was known for oil sludging, but only after the decided to drop the oil cooler that they used to have on it.

No idea on why they dropped it on the Tundra trans though. Those decisions aren’t made in a vacuum, but it really bucks conventional thought.

That said, I want to say that 225F sounds stupid hot but isn’t the devil it used to be. I wouldn’t want to push those temps and think it of “lifetime” fluid, though.
I'm having the transmission, rear/front differentials, and transfer case fluids changed next week at 50k miles. I plan to keep this truck for a long time and I agree, that averaging 225F just driving on a flat highway, doesn't agree with the concept of "lifetime" fluid.

Should that trek just been done in 4LO? I watched it a few days ago (not going to do it again) and if I recall correctly, he used 4HI. Maybe I'm wrong................
Not sure, I do some light towing here and there but others here tow a whole lot more and can chime in on 4-low.

Back