New Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Chicom Scooter today. A 150cc Lance Milan built by Znen.
milan_04.jpg

I ran across an 8 month old one at a local dealer with 4 months warranty remaining for a reasonable price. So far I have just driven it on a test ride and 14 miles home. It has the ubiquitous clone of a mid 1980s Honda GY6 power train. The GY6s have been so well copied by various Chinese companies that most of the parts are interchangeable. There are loads of after market parts for them. Mine will become a 175cc after I get some other projects finished.

The engine is an air cooled 150cc 4-stroke with a belt drive CVT. It has typical scooter arrangement where the rear swing arm is integral with the engine crankcase and houses the CVT. Nice packaging and simple.

It's going to get 15W-40 HDEO in the engine. It calls for 15W-40 SF. My local museum is fresh out of SF, so it will get whatever new HDEO is. No synthetics because it needs to be changed every 1000km or 1000 miles (no oil filter), depending on which part of the owners manual you are looking at. The owners manual is written in clear English, unfortunately whoever did the nice translation wasn't a technical person.

It feels good on the road. Handling is good for 12 inch wheels, brakes are good and acceleration is about the same as normal suburban traffic up to about 35 mph, then it's slow crawl to a bit above 50 mph.

Throttle and front brake are the same as a motorcycle. Rear brake is at the clutch lever location on a motorcycle and there is nothing to do with your feet. Both brakes are hydraulic disc.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Handling is good for 12 inch wheels,

Congrats! I was planning to get one of those when I was living in FL, but when I realized how expensive the insurance was and how many people there ended up getting hurt in traffic, I changed my mind.

FYI, the website you linked to shows that it has 13" wheels.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
Congratulations!

Have you owned motor cycles before?

About 30 years of riding off and on. From 100cc up to 1200cc.

Pete, Progressive insurance, liability and uninsured motorists, is $75/year for the one I got.

I agree on the hazards. A scooter is worse than a motorcycle with sane riders on both.

Spec sheets in Chicom scooters are always messed up. It has 12 inch wheels.

Wrong info is one of the problems to buying them online, you don't really know what you bought until it arrives. I'm glad I have a nearby dealer.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Pete, Progressive insurance, liability and uninsured motorists, is $75/year for the one I got.

Well, in that case that's a lot less than what I was quoted, but Miami area has pretty high insurance premiums...

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
so what was the final $$$ ?

Did you get it for fun or to save gas?

$999 plus fees and taxes for total of $1145. I got it strictly for fun, any gas savings will be a bonus. Starting with a baseline of a VW TDI, it would take a few years to pay for a scooter in gas savings.

Riding a motor scooter is like riding a fat girl ,lots of fun but you really don't want to be seen in public with either.

Hey, that's a dumb comment. I happen to be married to a fat girl and I would take her anywhere. Boy, talking about judging a book by its cover.

Scooter joke .Same as a Harley /Tattoo joke. If you buy a scooter joke that is what you get ,If you buy a Harley that is what you get.Lets not start with pilot jokes. My wife is on the oppisite side of thin . So sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back