New Toro- Uneven Cut

I recently purchased a new Toro Timecutter 42”. The machine runs great and seems to be well built but the cut is less than desirable. I have checked the side to side and front to rear level of the deck. I have checked tire pressures and even adjusted the anti scalp wheels. I just can seem to keep this machine from stair stepping my yard. I know to some it may not appear to be too bad, but this is a new machine. On a sodded yard it should be cutting golf course quality in my mind.

Can anyone throw out some suggestions for me to try. I am out of ideas to try and get this mower cutting level.

Attachments

• 51027D7E-824A-4122-BCAB-72C6FD22967B.jpeg
    51027D7E-824A-4122-BCAB-72C6FD22967B.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 00FC890D-BE94-46BD-B809-F8C125C73862.jpeg
    00FC890D-BE94-46BD-B809-F8C125C73862.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 5247DB4C-F537-44E5-8D0B-2FC2A3B5ECCB.jpeg
    5247DB4C-F537-44E5-8D0B-2FC2A3B5ECCB.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 162
Is the deck binding on anything ? drop the deck to cutting height and check the movement of the deck. maybe try cutting one step higher ?

Golf course cut quality? Is this mower from a big box store? Please give us a model number.
It’s a Toro 75747. It did not come from a box store, a local mom and pop Toro dealer.

Attachments

• C669B3FB-926E-4808-93DB-1530A03C0EDA.jpg
    C669B3FB-926E-4808-93DB-1530A03C0EDA.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 23
on a level concrete floor take a tape measure and with the deck in cutting position measure the left side and right side to make sure the deck is even. If yes then check the height of each blade. You could have a bent blade, uneven deck, clogged deck, who knows.

Was that sod just laid? What kind of grass?

on a level concrete floor take a tape measure and with the deck in cutting position measure the left side and right side to make sure the deck is even. If yes then check the height of each blade. You could have a bent blade, uneven deck, clogged deck, who knows.

Was that sod just laid? What kind of grass?
Barkleymut,

The house was built in 2016 and the sod was established then. It’s well established now.

I checked level left to right but I did not spin the blades to see if one is bent. If one is bent, then the mower was delivered to me with a bent blade.

one of the wheels does ride the yard. When I dropped the wheels, it seemed to do better. It was worse.
Move the wheels up one hole if you can/try mowing a little higher. What height were you mowing at?

Also you may want to see if the deck is supposed to have a certain amount of rake front to back. Some aren't designed to be perfectly level front to back.

I recently purchased a new Toro Timecutter 42”. The machine runs great and seems to be well built but the cut is less than desirable. I have checked the side to side and front to rear level of the deck. I have checked tire pressures and even adjusted the anti scalp wheels. I just can seem to keep this machine from stair stepping my yard. I know to some it may not appear to be too bad, but this is a new machine. On a sodded yard it should be cutting golf course quality in my mind.

Can anyone throw out some suggestions for me to try. I am out of ideas to try and get this mower cutting level.

Try mowing up and down. See what happens.

height of cut is 2.5” inches. I’ll do more checks of the deck side to side and front to rear before I mow again. And I’ll try increasing tire pressures. I almost wonder if the mower is so heavy it leans to one side on the slight slope.

Another picture from my upstairs office. The slope is worse if I go side to side. the tracks are up and down the slope, however there is a slight contour from right to left as well. It’s a difficult section to mow to say the least.

Attachments

• B3098DE0-2C46-4F9D-9AD4-268D187E0D0E.jpeg
    B3098DE0-2C46-4F9D-9AD4-268D187E0D0E.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 61
Let said, make sure the deck hangs flat from side to side, not necessarily front to back. This deck is designed to hang from the machine with the gauge wheels only hitting over high spots. If gauge wheels are rolling on the ground while mowing, you need to raise the deck or adjust the wheels higher. It's typically ok to have the front a bit lower than the back.

height of cut is 2.5” inches. I’ll do more checks of the deck side to side and front to rear before I mow again. And I’ll try increasing tire pressures. I almost wonder if the mower is so heavy it leans to one side on the slight slope.

Another picture from my upstairs office. The slope is worse if I go side to side. the tracks are up and down the slope, however there is a slight contour from right to left as well. It’s a difficult section to mow to say the least.
At your 2.5” cutting height, move all of the anti-scalp rollers to the upper holes. Adjust your deck as described in the operators manual. The tires should all be where you like them. This is usually in the 12psi to 15psi range. Just as long as they are all equal. I still have a pair of 2 5/8” 2x4s and a pair of 2 7/8” 2x4s. You are not going to get the side to side level perfect. Also, a 1/4” forward pitch of the deck helps process the grass better. The blades need to be sharp and you should be mowing at full throttle.
I had an older version of that same mower, minus the MyRide system. The closest that I could get the side to side level was 1/4”. I traded it for a a Timecutter HD54. The deck on that one was suspended by 4 chains. That made adjustment of the deck much easier.

one of the wheels does ride the yard. When I dropped the wheels, it seemed to do better. It was worse.

I don’t think the anti scalp wheels should ride on the grass. My Deere LT150 gives specs in the manual on how to set mine. The manual clearly states for my mower they shouldn’t ride the grass.

Leveling a 3 point deck is a bit of a pita. Mine has a wishbone style hanger in the front. As I adjust it I give the deck a good shake to ensure it’s not bound up and is hanging on the 3 points.

just my $0.02

Has the lawn ever been mowed with such a large deck ? My guess is the deck is to large for a small sloping yard.

Back