New Gravely Zero Turn

Folks, I had to trade mowers. My two year old Toro ZX5400 beat me up too bad and it took too long to mow my property. Today, the Gravely dealer delivered my new Pro Turn 160. It’s built like a tank. The PT 160 is a true commercial mower. Whereas, the Toro is classified as an estate mower or heavy duty residential mower. The extra 6” of deck width will reduce my cutting time. It’s powered by a Yamaha MX800V carbureted engine making 26.5 HP. It is equipped with Hydro-Gear ZT3400 hydros. It’s dialed in and ready to go. I did mow a small test area and it seems to cut better than the Toro. I’ll know next week how well it really does.

Attachments

• 3D3569EC-FD8D-442A-8456-481C74C495D0.jpeg
    3D3569EC-FD8D-442A-8456-481C74C495D0.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 1F9F08AC-9547-4F52-B426-79D3CE6CE8E5.jpeg
    1F9F08AC-9547-4F52-B426-79D3CE6CE8E5.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 118
  • E5E95C3F-BA98-46CB-803A-580683EFF8F9.jpeg
    E5E95C3F-BA98-46CB-803A-580683EFF8F9.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 69EEB22E-61E6-4343-BD8D-103131092019.jpeg
    69EEB22E-61E6-4343-BD8D-103131092019.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 138
Yamaha. Very interesting! Looks like a nice deep deck and if it's deeper than your Toro that would explain the better cut. I've always found that deeper deck (even by 1") = nicer cut, especially if you have thick grass. I take it this one has a suspension seat?

I wonder how many people use their regular riding mower and they're like "Oh, the ride on a zero turn can't be THAT much worse!" and then go and buy one and learn the true definition of suffering.

Yamaha. Very interesting! Looks like a nice deep deck and if it's deeper than your Toro that would explain the better cut. I've always found that deeper deck (even by 1") = nicer cut, especially if you have thick grass. I take it this one has a suspension seat?

I wonder how many people use their regular riding mower and they're like "Oh, the ride on a zero turn can't be THAT much worse!" and then go and buy one and learn the true definition of suffering.
Yep, it’s a little deeper. Gravely calls it the X-Factor II deck. Whatever that means.

@JRed
Yes, this one has a suspension seat. You can adjust the lumbar support and recline angle. This is my third zero turn and I’m aware that they can beat you up. The faster you go, the worse the beating. The suspension seat should help some. The larger deck means less time in the seat. The build quality on this Gravely is top notch.

I'm jealous! I have been pressing for a new Gravely for years but my life coach insists I don't need one... Do you have any suggestions on how I can change her mind?

I looked at the Hustler FasTrak SDX and the Scag Patriot. The Scag was not as beefy as the Hustler or Gravely. To go with a Scag I would have move up to the Tiger Cat II. The Hustler has good frame and deck construction. However, the stuff bolted to the frame is of lower quality and fit. Hustler didn’t seem to get the engine choices right on the FasTrak SDX. The unit looked to be underpowered for it’s size. You can get more powerful engines on their standard FasTrak.

I live on 5 acres and have 3 to cut. I have a Ferris stand-on. Recently visited a dealer to get an air filter and was told Kawasaki can't keep up with the demand for engines because of Covid which has made other mower brands switch to other engine brands. So I'm guessing that explains the Yamaha? Cool.

I live on 5 acres and have 3 to cut. I have a Ferris stand-on. Recently visited a dealer to get an air filter and was told Kawasaki can't keep up with the demand for engines because of Covid which has made other mower brands switch to other engine brands. So I'm guessing that explains the Yamaha? Cool.
They can’t get parts from China. See what happens when we rely on other countries. There is also a urge to go to fuel injection over carbureted engines. The fuel injected engines have been problematic. Gravely worked with Yamaha to develop this line of engines. Gravely and Yamaha introduced this line of engines in 2016 or 2017. Gravely offers four different engine brands. They offer Kawasaki, Kohler, Yamaha and a Gravely branded 724cc Loncin. They have carbureted and fuel injected from Kawasaki, Kohler and Yamaha.

That and in recent years their engines have had a tendency to use oil. That’s one reason they keep bumping up the oil grade specifications. 20W50 has been added.

The owners manual for mower and engine specify 10W30 or 10W40. Of course, Yamaha wants you yo use Yamalube. Seeing that it gets pretty hot here, I’m thinking that either a synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil or synthetic 15W40 Diesel engine oil. I believe that the 10W40 motorcycle oil would be a better choice. Diesel engine oils have reduced some of their zinc and other additives due to the introduction of catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters. The Amsoil 10W40 Small Engine looks pretty good on paper.

Last edited:
Nice. I have the Pro Turn 148. Going on 10 years and like you said built like a tank. I can't justify getting another one because this one runs so good. I cut from 2.5 to 3.5 acres depending if I cut behind the pond. Post follow up on fuel usage. I think I want to stay with a carb engine instead of fuel inj.

We've had a Ferris since 2016 (same company) and it has been great. I've always ran either M1 Euro 0-40 or Rotella T6 in ours with a FL400S oil filter. Not sure if there is a car filter substitute for the Yamaha motor though.

Nice. I have the Pro Turn 148. Going on 10 years and like you said built like a tank. I can't justify getting another one because this one runs so good. I cut from 2.5 to 3.5 acres depending if I cut behind the pond. Post follow up on fuel usage. I think I want to stay with a carb engine instead of fuel inj.
It should be a little better on fuel consumption than the Toro branded Loncin engine. That thing was right at one gallon per hour. The Yamaha engine has hemispherical heads with 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder. The Yamaha engine is much quieter. A fuel injected engine was not going to power any mower of mine.

Last edited:
@thastinger
I’ll have to do some more research on the oil filter. I crossed the Yamaha filter to a Rotary Corporation filter and that crosses to a FRAM 4967. I need to do a little more digging.

@thastinger
I’ll have to do some more research on the oil filter. I crossed the Yamaha filter to a Rotary Corporation filter and that crosses to a FRAM 4967. I need to do a little more digging.
What filter is on it?
I run a 3614 or 3600(longer) fram ultra or tough gard on my kawasaki zero turn.

Back