Gravely Pro Turn 160 Problems

My new Gravely Pro Turn 160 is in the shop for a second time. It’s having some sort of fuel delivery problem. I can run it for about 30 minutes and it shuts down. It acts just like it’s running out of gas. The first time in the shop, they put a carburetor kit in it and a new float. There was a TSB on the float. Well, it’s acting up again. It’s been doing this since new. I believe it’s a venting problem and it’s vapor locking. The fuel tanks whistle 24/7. It whistles when I’m mowing or when it’s been sitting in my storage shed. There is a lot of expansion it the fuel tanks. I honestly believe the problem is the EPA fuel venting garbage they are putting on the newer mowers. My 2019 Toro ZX5400 never did this.

Is there a carbon canister [evap ] ? Did youm try to run it with the cap lose ?

Is there a carbon canister [evap ] ? Did youm try to run it with the cap lose ?
There is not a carbon canister. There are rollover valves in the top of the tank. The lines run to a T fitting and a single line runs to the engine where the vapors are burned. I haven’t tried running it with the caps loose. I’m not planning on doing that. The dealer is either going to fix it or Gravely is going to replace it for another. I should not have to do their job. It’s under warranty. If it wasn’t under warranty, I would delete those lines and install old style vented fuel caps.

I picked up the mower today. The fuel caps were replaced with the older vented style. They tested it and didn’t have any shut downs. Ir’s not whistling anymore.
I’ll find out tomorrow. I have grass to cut.

Update:
The mower lost power for 10-15 seconds on this past Friday. There is 87 hours on the mower. I decided to change the fuel filter and replace the spark plugs. I cut open the fuel filter and it was very clean. The left side spark plug was loose in the head. Both plugs were showing signs of carbon fouling. There was oil on the threads of both plugs. It’s using a little oil. The engine RPMs fluctuate at all engine speeds. I talked with my dealer and showed him the spark plugs. He has agreed to a full credit on the mower and for $1500 more I can upgrade to a Gravely Pro Turn 260 with a Kohler engine. I’m taking the deal.
Good Bye to the Chinese made Yamaha!

Found this thread (and the one where you described your Pro Turn 160) while searching for info about the Yamaha lawn mower engines.

Interestingly, a search of the Gravely site shows that they no longer offer Yamaha engines on any of their mowers.

How is the Pro Turn 260 working for you?

@MParr

Found this thread (and the one where you described your Pro Turn 160) while searching for info about the Yamaha lawn mower engines.

Interestingly, a search of the Gravely site shows that they no longer offer Yamaha engines on any of their mowers.

How is the Pro Turn 260 working for you?

@MParr
Yes, Gravely, Bad Boy, and Husqvarna dropped the Yamaha engines. Gravely was the last to drop them.
Those Yamaha engines were pure garbage.

The Pro Turn 260 is working out just fine. The Kohler Confidant ZT740 is performing perfectly. The PT 260 is approaching 150 hour and it hasn’t been back for any service.

Back