New Gravely Zero Turn

What filter is on it?
I run a 3614 or 3600(longer) fram ultra or tough gard on my kawasaki zero turn.
It’s a Yamaha filter. FRAM, WIX/NAPA doesn’t have it listed anywhere. Put in the filter number and get no results.

I mowed 4 acres with a Honda riding mower built in 1992 that I think had a 40"-ish deck. That felt luxurious to me...

Looks like a great mower. I will look at them when I am ready for another.
My toro has no suspension seat and is beating me up.

My next zero turn will have a better seat and I will go from a 50 deck to at least a 60.

Get her to mow once or twice.
Tried that...she literally mowed once or twice in the past 16 years! And still says it is fine that i spend two hours mowing.

I even tried the "but a zero turn would give me so much more time to admire your beauty" approach...still no luck... :rolleyes:

Looks like a great mower. I will look at them when I am ready for another.
My toro has no suspension seat and is beating me up.

My next zero turn will have a better seat and I will go from a 50 deck to at least a 60.
Exactly. I started out with a 50” Toro ZTR for this property. It was a Time Cutter residential. It never gave a decent cut. The deck just couldn’t be leveled and it was too small. I traded for the Time Cutter HD 54”. It cut better but, it beat me to death. It also cut the mowing time by an hour. I knew there had to be something better out there and a true commercial mower would be the way to go. Also, the minimum recommended tire pressure is the best way to go.

Today was the first mow on the new Gravely. My mowing time has been reduced from 4 hours to 3 hours. The mower did a good job. I wasn’t near as beat up as I was on the Toro. The suspension seat makes a big difference. It did have a minor hiccup. After switching fuel tanks and mowing off of that tank for a while, it cut off on me. I guess there was trash in the line or fuel valve. Or maybe, I didn’t have the valve totally on the left tank. Anyway, I moved the valve between tanks a couple of times and put it back on the tank I was running on. It fired right up and I finished the job with no other problems.

I live on 5 acres and have 3 to cut. I have a Ferris stand-on. Recently visited a dealer to get an air filter and was told Kawasaki can't keep up with the demand for engines because of Covid which has made other mower brands switch to other engine brands. So I'm guessing that explains the Yamaha? Cool.
Yamaha was getting into that area before COVID. They took over Subaru small engines and built up the line.

Something to think about. One thing I really like about my stand-on mower is that I throw on my backpack leaf blower and ride the mower while blowing grass clippings. I have a long concrete driveway.
I normally don’t have a lot of clippings on the drive or walkway. If there are any, I’ll blow them off with the mower.

Something to think about. One thing I really like about my stand-on mower is that I throw on my backpack leaf blower and ride the mower while blowing grass clippings. I have a long concrete driveway.
Although I am just a homeowner, I have a Wright stander 36" for my half acre city lot that has a 4 gates, 2 fences and is split into chunks by flower beds. At the vaca place, I have a Ferris 61" ZTR and have 8 acres to mow there but it is mostly open except for about a half acre of trees that have been thinned out enough to circle the mower around them. As much as I like each mower in the environment they mow in, either would be miserable on the opposite property.

It should be a little better on fuel consumption than the Toro branded Loncin engine. That thing was right at one gallon per hour. The Yamaha engine has hemispherical heads with 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder. The Yamaha engine is much quieter. A fuel injected engine was not going to power any mower of mine.
Wow, some actual innovation in the OPE engine space? 3 valve head? I had to look it up to believe it. Props to Yamaha for doing something outside of the box.

I'm among those cheering on the transition from carburetors to fuel injection, but I understand the logic behind staying with what's tried and true.

Wow, some actual innovation in the OPE engine space? 3 valve head? I had to look it up to believe it. Props to Yamaha for doing something outside of the box.

I'm among those cheering on the transition from carburetors to fuel injection, but I understand the logic behind staying with what's tried and true.

Hemispherical heads too.
I would not have bought it if it had fuel injection. More to go wrong and more costly to diagnose and repair. Most of the engine manufacturers are producing EFI and carbureted models of the same engine. Maybe in a few more years they will have perfected EFI in mower engines.

I mow about 3 acres of rough WV hilly land. Had a Toro Zmaster 50" that beat the hell out of me. As I got older, it got worse. Then I found out about Ferris and their suspensions. So I traded and got a 61" Z700 with the Briggs Commercial V twin engine. Added a suspension seat and what a difference. I still have to ride it like a horse jockey because if I sit back and relax it shakes me around pretty good. You have to go with a commercial mower if you mow an acre or more. The homeowners models just don't hold up.
Right now you can't find Z turns to buy. Local dealer can't get them. Tractor Supply has none. I did see cheap riding mowers at Home Depot recently. My local dealer tells me the factories can't find people to work with unemployment being so lucrative.
A nearby chicken processing plant can't find workers. They have raised the wage, offered $3k sign on bonuses and gone to a 4 day work week. They even brought in 100 illegals. They got rid of them pretty quickly. They spoke no english, had no skills and most had Covid.

@loneryder
I thought about Ferris however, there are no dealers close to me. So, I couldn’t give them a look over. The suspension seat does make a difference.

After a little more digging, it looks like the FRAM PH6017A or WIX 51358 will work.
I was wrong on the oil filters. After measuring the OEM Yamaha filter, I found some that will work. FRAM 4967 series. WIX WL 10239, NAPA 400239 and STP S4967.

My new Gravely Pro Turn 160 wasn’t cutting the way I liked. So, I decided to level the deck. I went by the owners manual and I messed it up worse. I figured there had to be a better way. It was time to punt. I adjusted the air pressure in the tires and broke out the levels. I got it close. It was time to check out Youtube. I found a video from Ariens Corporation. It was on the Ariens Apex mower. The Ariens and Gravely have an identical setup. I adjusted the deck exactly as described. BINGO! It’s spot on. By the way, I used the all metal Stens deck gauge for the job. Here’s the video for anyone owning a Ariens Apex or Gravely commercial mower.

Back