New tool thread

Made this GM/Saginaw column pivot pin remover for slide hammer
20240325_162621.jpg

Four Uncles? I suppose thats better than the many brands of random letters. At least they tried.
This one is BITOG approved. I must say 100% heavy duty, pretty surprised. No random letters in the instructions.

Oddly 4 in Chinese si, pronounced sorta like siu (seuu) more or less is very close to the same pronunciation of death.

The Milwaukee 2126-20 M12 Underbody Light

Got it a few months ago but finally used it Friday at my friends small average middle class detached garage while doing some fluid changes. It is really really bright and the magnet is very strong. Plus it articulates enough that you can move it all over the place to get light where you need it. Highly recommend. I had it on for about 4 hours with almost a full charge left on the battery.

2126-20.jpg

SnapOn A139 shock socket. About $17 on ebay

I unwittingly learned that a small spanner is no substitute for sockets like this.

As a home DIYer, you try to avoid buying specialty tools that might be used a handful of times ever, and find kludges or substitutes that will do the job.

But in this case, if you don't buy the special socket, you'll probably be buying a new spanner.

I suppose a set of vice grips would work as well, but that's not my style.

Compare to Knipex? Price?? Function? Etc
I don't know about the Knipex. Was about $28 on Amazon. I stripped a single wire before throwing them in my box, and seemed to work great, if that's worth anything.

The plastic construction seems like a bad idea but action feels good. And I don't think you're going to find an all-metal stripper like this anywhere today -- plus it might be awkwardly heavy.

I’ve got the snap on or blue point version of those strippers and they’re also plastic. Probably had em 35 or so years. Still work fine. Don’t sweat the plastic.
I’ve got a handful of different types of wire stripping tools and that one is the one I usually reach for.

Reactions: D60
I have yet to use this, and have no idea how well it will work, but I do know a C-clamp like I've used in the past won't jibe with an EPB motor hanging on the back of the caliper, and this was relatively cheap, so worth a try.

At first, I ordered the Lisle version of this tool, but decided to try this generic/ODM unit instead, since it seems to have beefier construction, a welded, not-crimped boss, and hex flats on the shaft to accomodate a wrench.

spreader.jpg

This one is BITOG approved. I must say 100% heavy duty, pretty surprised. No random letters in the instructions.

Oddly 4 in Chinese si, pronounced sorta like siu (seuu) more or less is very close to the same pronunciation of death.
I have the same one. I've only used it once but it worked well.

1000002314.jpg

Picked this up for $150 on eBay. I've been wanting a thermal camera for a while and this one has really nice specs for the price. The original retail was $800!

It even came with a (cheap) 10.1" Android tablet that was originally intended to be used as a remote viewfinder? I think? Either way, a practically brand new 10" tablet and a thermal imager for $150 is a steal anywhere you look.

Back