New tool thread

7FC438E6-2EE2-409B-BE39-B6D7FBF7A409.jpeg

Some new tools yesterday. I got the air chuck because I don’t have one like this except at home. This has one use at work and that’s when we fill up our SureShot cans with brake cleaner we have to pressurize it. And it ruined a couple peoples air gauges so someone else got one of these to do it with which I also decided to get one too. I don’t want to ruin my air gauges. I also got two Milwaukee markers in black for the home toolbox for oil change stickers as any other color fades and I always lost Sharpies and these were on sale too at Rural King just like the air chuck. They had a sale where you fill up a bucket and get everything 15% off in the bucket so I did and got several car things some good Root Beer and all that lol. Plus a nice bucket. I didn’t see a reason to pay an extra $6 for a Milton air chuck when this one will work fine for that one purpose. You really don’t use it for anything else.

Last week, the SO guy and I agreed on a cash price for the 1098J5000, 206PFSXM (Swivel Ball Extension Socket Set) and RXFMS606B (Metric Flare Wrench Set).

Of course, someone listed a brand-new set of the flare wrenches on eBay this weekend for $200. I could have saved $100! :sick:

But I decided to keep my word and pay what I had agreed to.

AD97F9CB-F55B-4ABD-A8EE-10247467FC0C.jpeg

Bought a 22mm Williams Supercombo wrench at Amazon, for $30. Made in the USA. It is a very comfortable wrench to hold. I will be buying a 17mm and 19mm in the near future.
DSC01433.JPG

The open end is designed to not round off the corners on a fastener.
DSC01439.JPG

A 22mm Hazet 600N wrench compared to the Williams. The Williams is 13mm longer and 3.2mm wider at the beam, and the Hazet is 6.2oz lighter.
DSC01443.JPG

No, this one:

View attachment 139382
Ok. I was looking at that one also but this one has the extra 7/8mm wrench and is new or as new just without the tray.

I have more analog tire pressure gauges than a sane person needs, but I have still had a desire over the last 3 years for a digital gauge. So I bought this Longacre gauge, with backlit display and accuracy of +/- 0.3psi. Longacre sells it for $123, Summit Racing sells it for $105, I bought it from Speedway Motors for $83. That sum is the most I have ever spent on a tire gauge, but the Longacre lineup of digital tire pressure gauges tops out at $700, so I don't feel too bad about spending $83.

DSC01447.JPG

On of my oldest analog gauges: a Drager (made in Germany) bought new around 35-40 years ago.
DSC01449.JPG

9BDBE151-02C1-4CA9-9A82-BC368F7A0E5E.jpeg

Snap-On 207IPSFM 3/8” semi-deep impact swivels. Thank you @clinebarger for making me aware of these.

Paid $235 off eBay. They are supposedly new but the internals of the 15MM was coated with some brown gunk (consistency similar to mud) that was somewhat easily wiped off. Strange. I wonder if it was excess shipping oil?

I also sprayed the swivel joints with Super Lube. But did not notice any improvement.

Last edited:
Lost (temporarily misplaced) tools? So when a guy has a tool cab (or whatever correct term) system that's 12 (or more) feet wide, 6 feet tall and has 3 dozen or more drawers do the drawers have to be labeled to keep track of what is in each? And even if they are labeled are there moments of Oh, I forgot I had this or Oh, this is a cool tool wherever it came from or Oh, I sure could have used this last Tuesday?

View attachment 140085
Snap-On 207IPSFM 3/8” semi-deep impact swivels. Thank you @clinebarger for making me aware of these.

Paid $235 off eBay. They are supposedly new but the internals of the 15MM was coated with some brown gunk (consistency similar to mud) that was somewhat easily wiped off. Strange. I wonder if it was excess shipping oil?

I also sprayed the swivel joints with Super Lube. But did not notice any improvement.
I’ve gotten some items from SO that has a dark brown thick oil on it. I wouldn’t worry about that.

I’d suspect that these are designed with a decent amount of friction on the swivel, and intentionally not that easy to move.

I’m tempted to get a set of those, I can see their value even if not impact.

Back