New tool thread

Barely, I'll have to move a few things around but I left space for it. I have to have one for some of the transmissions I build......I've been having 20 TH350 & TH400/4L80E Direct Pistons cut down at a time by a local hobby machinist....The results have been inconsistent, He ruined 5 TH400 pistons last time by machining too much off them.....TH400 aluminum pistons with a large work surface are getting hard to come by.

This one also weighs over 2000 pounds, I used car dollies & a Cherry Picker to roll it over to my trailer....Then I winched it on. Backed the trailer under my 2-post lift & lifted it off the trailer. It's still sitting on my lift....I'll try to get it moved into position tomorrow.

pQhhnAO.jpg

1202dX8.jpg
Real nice!

Ordered a Aloris AXA 7 piece set, $864. Won't miss shimming different tools!
So nice! Also I've had decent luck with the super inexpensive tool holders like from Shars et al. You can tell the precision isn't there in the dovetails because with some the handle travels a lot before they lock down, but so far they all work.

Given the price difference it can be worth it, esp for tools you don't use often like chamfer tools etc. I hate pulling out hex keys and messing with set screws so I prefer to have every tool already loaded in a holder -- same reason I have 8+ angle grinders on my bench!

Westward chain pliers from Zoro/Grainger. Hoping to get medieval on my front tractor tire chains and add a cross chain every other link rather than every fourth.

Incidentally, if anyone's in the market the Westwards appear to be far and away the least expensive right now at ~$75 (but seem well-reviewed). I think Zoro/Grainger just hasn't raised the price yet to reflect post-pandemic insanity and I'm betting it will jump soon.

These probably wouldn't be appropriate if you maintain a fleet but I imagine I'll use them once every 8 years
20230126_104051.jpg

An Astro #9532 tungsten carbide scraper, 1.25" wide at the tip. Paid $22 at Amazon

DSC01409.JPG

2/16" and 3/16" tungsten carbide burrs, manufactured by Cobra Carbide in Riverside, CA. Bought at Zoro.com for $8 each.

DSC01420.JPG

An aluminum Titan swivel head bit ratchet. About 4" long overall. Back drag is higher than I like. Paid under $20 at Amazon.

DSC01421.JPG

DSC01424.JPG

What’s the scraper used for?
Any flat metal surface that needs removal of hard deposits, automotive related or not. Should work well on my garden shears and pruners to remove hardened sap. Can also be used to deburr blades of all types.

Any flat metal surface that needs removal of hard deposits, automotive related or not. Should work well on my garden shears and pruners to remove hardened sap. Can also be used to deburr blades of all types.
I'm sure not all sap is equal but I got some Goo Gone "Pro Power" that works wonders on our pinion sap. The Pro Power is key as regular Goo Gone hardly does anything. I have no idea how the formulations differ.

Back