New tool thread

I grabbed this on Amazon. It will come in handy when the time comes.

Mayhew Pro 37332 Screw Extractor Set, 5-Piece.​

61rOa-KPrvL._AC_SL1418_.jpg

After almost 6 years of looking for a "Engine Lathe".....Might have found one that suits my needs? Don't have too much information yet, But it looks to be a Clausing 5449? Going to inspect it tomorrow, It's one of those "Fire Sale" type deals & extremely cheap.....I just have to move it.

If I do buy it.....I'll have many questions for D60.

BSbLjUN.jpg

Astro On-Car FWD wheel bearing press
Astro Subaru Ball Joint Tool
OTC 5950S 4-in-1 wire tool
Toyota Wheel Bearing Lock Ring Pliers
Yoolon Hub Removal Bolt Kit
Matco Universal Impact Driver Torx Extension Set

EFD903A2-6734-48E2-B4C7-56A741CB9CB3.jpeg

Here is a close-up of the Matco kit:

B135D901-F41A-4ABE-AAA1-4C7E9FB0BC46.jpeg

69A418BD-A458-4179-B8C2-9D4D3D2A79D4.jpeg

This is a unique tool - haven’t found anyone else who makes an identical product.

Last edited:
After almost 6 years of looking for a "Engine Lathe".....Might have found one that suits my needs? Don't have too much information yet, But it looks to be a Clausing 5449? Going to inspect it tomorrow, It's one of those "Fire Sale" type deals & extremely cheap.....I just have to move it.

If I do buy it.....I'll have many questions for D60.

BSbLjUN.jpg
Do you have room for this one? I could have had a DSG type 17 cheap but had no room for it and moving it would have been a problem at 2.5 tons without a crane and truck.

Do you have room for this one? I could have had a DSG type 17 cheap but had no room for it and moving it would have been a problem at 2.5 tons without a crane and truck.
You'd be surprised what a 2-post lift and pallet jack can do if you're creative ;)

As for @clinebarger, I'm not real familiar with those old Clausings, but if it runs and isn't totally hammered it's surely useful.

At first glance I notice the tool post is ancient. I'd immediately upgrade to a QC -- Aloris if you're feeling flush, Phase II if on a budget. I prefer dovetail wedge over the piston design.

I only see a feed screw for the apron - can it thread without a lead screw? Again, maybe there's something w these Clausings I don't know about.

Local franchisee had one in-stock. I was originally planning to only buy the T40, but I wanted to give him some business since I had never purchased from him before. He matched the website's price.
Interesting, are Matco trucks sometimes higher than web pricing? My experience - albeit limited - is that SnapOn trucks are always at website pricing for Don't-Know-You-from-Adam and often negotiable down from there, esp with the green paper that talks

Interesting, are Matco trucks sometimes higher than web pricing? My experience - albeit limited - is that SnapOn trucks are always at website pricing for Don't-Know-You-from-Adam and often negotiable down from there, esp with the green paper that talks
No idea - this was my first interaction with a Matco franchisee. I have been told that this particular franchisee tends to hold firm on pricing.

Reactions: D60
That's how it works here. I walked onto a truck that frequents a shop about 1/2 from me. I was looking for a pair of the new needle nose pliers they had. I was treated fairly after he quoted me the price for the pliers from the Snap On site. I thanked him and started walking off the truck when he gave me the price. He said where are you going? I told him home to order them from someone on Ebay. Amazing how the price dropped. Now that we cleared that hurdle he's giving me the same deals for cash as the guys in the shop.

That's how it works here. I walked onto a truck that frequents a shop about 1/2 from me. I was looking for a pair of the new needle nose pliers they had. I was treated fairly after he quoted me the price for the pliers from the Snap On site. I thanked him and started walking off the truck when he gave me the price. He said where are you going? I told him home to order them from someone on Ebay. Amazing how the price dropped. Now that we cleared that hurdle he's giving me the same deals for cash as the guys in the shop.
Are tools at Lowe’s or HD that low of a quality that you need to buy from a tool truck? I haven’t wrenched professionally in a while but when I did I had no issue with standard craftsman or even some econo tools from harbor freight. I don’t see the attraction.

Are tools at Lowe’s or HD that low of a quality that you need to buy from a tool truck? I haven’t wrenched professionally in a while but when I did I had no issue with standard craftsman or even some econo tools from harbor freight. I don’t see the attraction.
No, this particular pair of needle nose pliers was something I wanted, not offered anywhere else, and I went for it. I do that from time to time. The same can be said for cars, oil, etc. EG: A Prius is a good car, it will get me from point A to point B. The problem is I have no desire to own one, I'd rather drive my van or one of my Jeeps. ;)

No, but there are some specialty items and certain items (for quality reasons) that are worth buying from a tool truck.

You'd be surprised what a 2-post lift and pallet jack can do if you're creative ;)

As for @clinebarger, I'm not real familiar with those old Clausings, but if it runs and isn't totally hammered it's surely useful.

At first glance I notice the tool post is ancient. I'd immediately upgrade to a QC -- Aloris if you're feeling flush, Phase II if on a budget. I prefer dovetail wedge over the piston design.

I only see a feed screw for the apron - can it thread without a lead screw? Again, maybe there's something w these Clausings I don't know about.

I ran the machine & everything seems to work, The bedways are in good shape as well (checked them with a straight edge), It does need some belts & a good servicing.

According to the manual.....Threading is done with the Half Nut Lever, Guess Longitudinal feed, Cross feed, And Threading is powered by the Feed Screw?

HB27Rym.png

HPKdBIq.png

Barely, I'll have to move a few things around but I left space for it. I have to have one for some of the transmissions I build......I've been having 20 TH350 & TH400/4L80E Direct Pistons cut down at a time by a local hobby machinist....The results have been inconsistent, He ruined 5 TH400 pistons last time by machining too much off them.....TH400 aluminum pistons with a large work surface are getting hard to come by.

This one also weighs over 2000 pounds, I used car dollies & a Cherry Picker to roll it over to my trailer....Then I winched it on. Backed the trailer under my 2-post lift & lifted it off the trailer. It's still sitting on my lift....I'll try to get it moved into position tomorrow.

pQhhnAO.jpg

1202dX8.jpg

Barely, I'll have to move a few things around but I left space for it. I have to have one for some of the transmissions I build......I've been having 20 TH350 & TH400/4L80E Direct Pistons cut down at a time by a local hobby machinist....The results have been inconsistent, He ruined 5 TH400 pistons last time by machining too much off them.....TH400 aluminum pistons with a large work surface are getting hard to come by.

This one also weighs over 2000 pounds, I used car dollies & a Cherry Picker to roll it over to my trailer....Then I winched it on. Backed the trailer under my 2-post lift & lifted it off the trailer. It's still sitting on my lift....I'll try to get it moved into position tomorrow.

pQhhnAO.jpg

1202dX8.jpg
Nice! That's exactly how I pulled my 17" South Bend off my trailer. Allegedly over 4000 lbs and I rolled it around with my pallet jack and some cribbing

On a related note....I also bought a Rockwell Drill Press that looks barely used, Some 4L65E Planetary Carriers, 2 4L60E cores, A crate full of 9" Ford Gears, A complete 9" Ford with factory disc brakes & a super nice Engine Table.....For $100. There was a TON more stuff there but I don't have space for it all.

Felt bad for the guy having to basically give stuff away, He said his lease was up & the landlord wanted 4X what he was paying. It was a BIG space @ 12,000 square feet.....But the plumbing & electrical was pretty much FUBAR & the roof could cave in at any time.
He had a 2x4 cemented in a 5 gallon bucket that was 4 inches from the bottom of the Bar Joists. It just so happened to rain today & just started when I arrived this morning.....Within 4 hours, The center Bar Joist was touching the 2x4! This roof had several 4" cast iron drain pipes that run between the Bar Joists through the back wall to keep water from collecting on the roof......They must be stopped up?

That's exactly what I ran into when I decided to start my own business, I looked for a space to lease & they were either complete dumps, 50 miles from town or extremely expensive.

8387Dg3.jpg

Ordered a Aloris AXA 7 piece set, $864. Won't miss shimming different tools!

Back