New tool thread

I believe the gear wrench metal faced hammers are trusty-cook.

F1587E68-BAC2-4328-B8C5-CC2845CEC826.jpeg
AB67E060-707C-4F6F-9740-DA9A851612DF.jpeg

I bought this 28pc 1/4" drive socket set directly from Tekton, for $59 (free shipping, no tax). If you order the socket sets without a tray, it will cost you an additional $15. Size range is 4-15mm. Sockets are made in Taiwan. The plastic twist-lock rails and plastic tray are made in the USA. Compared to my much older Snap-on and Craftsman sockets, the Tektons have a deeper detent groove and will attach very solidly to a locking extension, whereas the older sockets will not.

DSC01393.JPG

I can't remember the last time I used a 5mm socket, if ever. But now I own 5 of them! Two new Tektons, 2 old Snap-ons, one old Craftsman. My Craftsman 1/4" drive deep sockets will be retired because they have no detent grooves.
DSC01400.JPG

Last edited:
I just acquired a new 10 liter ultrasonic cleaner. That's a pair of Bing carbs from my BMW airhead that are going to get the honor of going swimming first. I think that I'm going with Simple Green for my cleaning solution unless someone has a better suggestion.
The upgraded version, Extreme Aircraft Simple Green has good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Aircraft-Precision-Cleaner-13406/dp/B001VXU7OE/

Master Stages CLEAN2020 is supposed to be the best but I've never tried it: https://www.amazon.com/Master-CLEAN2020-1G-Ultrasonic-Immersion/dp/B012GQOBM8/

Make sure your concentrations aren't too strong either, it can pit the metal.

Scored these from e-bay while I was deployed, just started using them recently; "Blue Power" branded (Cornwell Taiwan import) flex-head ratcheting wrenches; they were almost new and ~ $220 I think, so ~ 50% off. Saw them before and really liked the look, quite useful and I have all the open end wrenches I'll even need anyway. Seem very well built, head is stiff enough to stay in place by itself. (I really wish they were 6pt though... Why 12pt on a ratcheting wrench? Ok I know some bolts need it but I'd guess 90% a 6 pointer would be better):
tempImageeVnsbO.jpg

Received via Amazon yesterday (~22$) "Titan" (import) extra long 21mm non-marring lug socket. I like the length, so I can skip the extension. Super stiff heavy duty. Wish I bought this years ago: (Factory lug shown for comparison only. I always use breaker bar for this heavy truck. (Keep it stowed under rear seat in case of flat tire (Been burned one to many times with weak undersized factory wrenches). I also wrapped the "Shaft" with some clear skateboard grip tape, so after about one full turn with the breaker bar once I can spin it off with my hand. Also great for reinstalling, half the time tire is wet, **** assembly is ~ 100 LBs, I'm holding it in place with my knee, wearing gloves, so to be able to screw in the first 2 lugs with one hand helps)
IMG_4880.jpg

Last edited:
I refuse to buy the exorbitantly expensive "spider" chain tensioners for my tractor and instead use tarp straps. They're inexpensive, readily available and last years (and years and years)

However, these will apparently allow me to build a trap of straps. I'm envisioning the Scooby-Doo villain caught in a web of rubber straps as he curses something like , "You meddling do-gooders!!!"

And yes, it's a typo, not a brand name
20230115_104813.jpg

I just ran across this site. Don't know a thing about them but thought others might be interested in checking it out.

I refuse to buy the exorbitantly expensive "spider" chain tensioners for my tractor and instead use tarp straps. They're inexpensive, readily available and last years (and years and years)

However, these will apparently allow me to build a trap of straps. I'm envisioning the Scooby-Doo villain caught in a web of rubber straps as he curses something like , "You meddling do-gooders!!!"

And yes, it's a typo, not a brand nameView attachment 135643
I assume for Tire chains? I use trampoline springs on my lawn mower. Tarp straps always broke.

Back