New tool thread

Found this guy on sale for $10, so I ordered it. Not expecting much at this price, but just something to throw in a tool bag. Or I might gift it.

mz6ubko.jpg

Those look nice! I like the bars welded around the bottom perimeter.
Thanks! I had 6 ton HF jack stands that weren't part of the two recent recalls, but I didn't want to tempt fate. I never used them, and was able to return them w/o a receipt, which is what I did. These cost a lot more, but imo it was money well spent. I should have them in the early fall, just in time for tire rotations and a brake job.

Figured this place needs a thread to condense all the new tool posts. If not oh well...

The problem IMO with these types of threads like the "what are you listening to now" thread get so big that if you miss something it basically disappears into the abyss.
When I (I am sure most others too) post about a tool it is because it is either a useful tool or a good deal and want to put others on to not really to show them off which is also okay if you are into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Those are good stands Frank. I would feel a heck of lot safer under the van with those than the ones from HF.
Yes, and thanks for putting me onto them. With all the recent discussions about the HF recall, I thought it was worth posting about quality US made jack stands in this "New tool thread." 6 ton is overkill, but with two Jeeps and a full size van I wanted the load capacity and the extra height they provide.

I really like to top of those stands they allow the frame or subframe to sit on a flat surface unlike the old style that were designed with a deep V for live axles. These can also be used on a live axle in the middle. The round bar around the base is nice added safety feature to prevent base spreading.
100% Made in the USA not Assembled in the USA with global components meaning the Chicom bases come here and someone throws the saddle ratchet in and another boxes it.

The problem IMO with these types of threads like the "what are you listening to now" thread get so big that if you miss something it basically disappears into the abyss.
When I (I am sure most others too) post about a tool it is because it is either a useful tool or a good deal and want to put others on to not really to show them off which is also okay if you are into that sort of thing.
I get that but these threads on other forums have turned into a catch all for the basic tool acquisitions that only merit a “Hey look what I got” post. Special, usefull finds and other stuff still merit a thread of their own.

I just wish something like this could condense down the 50000293757584930393(4657 threads on what oil should I use in this threads.

Exactly! Hey, I am all for looking at tools but when it gets like that over at that other forum it is overwhelming and inevitably gets bypassed (by me anyway) unless it is the latest post.

How do you guys ever get anything done? Always polishing your tools.
I've changed a turbo and headers with just the tools on the top shelf and the bag! No, you can't look in.....:sneaky:
Tools.jpg

Nothing stopping you from creating a dedicated thread for a particular tool that you want to write about instead of posting in this "catch all" one.

I visit Bitog while I work, after I test them the machines do their thing and I drink coffee and use the laptop. Actual work on cars gets done at night after 8pm, coffee is on, tv on and its nice and cool.
I go to bed at 2am and back at it by 8am. In winter it slows down so I take it easier (after almost 50 years doing it I think that is ok). I am working as I post, no days off this year. The last thing I do is polish any tools, I take pics of them when I buy them in case I need to make a claim for robbery and that's it. You need to visit another well know forum for the real tool polishers.😁

I wanted a good set of combination metric wrenches. As usual I wrestled with it for a while, did some homework, and the toss up ended up being between Wright Grid 2, or Williams Super Combo wrenches. Both excellent tools. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and neither of them really fit my bill. I was concerned with marking fasteners, wanted something that wouldn't spread, and something longer than standard combo wrenches. After talking with @Trav I ended up ordering these from Amazon.de: Hazet 600SPC/16 Combination Wrench Set, 16 Pieces. I have no doubt I made a good choice.
71vE-B4sP1L._AC_SL1181_.jpeg

E2E41BF1-ED76-4DFB-A234-F03BAD4B379C.jpeg
98DD1190-08BF-459F-8890-883283E88AC1.jpeg
F5F7BD4C-85FA-4504-809F-DC42ECAB1DE1.jpeg
CFBB7358-4694-4232-A145-95A7E36E8FF4.jpeg
D0B04D18-2880-4AA2-9EFD-5CAE92153E24.jpeg

These are all my newest tools well some of them. I’ll post the rest in another post. The PowerBuilt ratchet and Craftsman socket were both warranty items didn’t even have to return the old ones. 🙂

E91F9CE5-B32E-4BBF-A573-F77212B404AC.jpeg
0A4833BD-3439-4338-BD57-CA70E993B1B7.jpeg
9DA5A767-2977-4CE7-8984-0C051642803A.jpeg

Here is more. The 17mm hex bit from Capri is for the beetle transaxle drain and fill plugs. Didn’t have a 17mm one yet so had to order one it was a Christmas present to myself along with the Capri ratchet. It’s now my go to even over my Matco it’s so smooth. Also the Napa tool tote and everything in it and the compression tester and hub cap hammer were Christmas gifts from my parents which I will put to good use.
70A949C3-4F02-4ED7-B623-AE0A8724964F.jpeg

Last edited:
19374A1C-13F2-4758-A50C-694B3FE03CC1.jpeg
C68449AD-D397-49EA-BC4B-B7619242CB82.jpeg

C73D80D4-ACDE-4928-9C2F-2D5543F8DC27.jpeg
6782A782-E863-4C51-BB4E-69B5A2E2DA30.jpeg

Ok my last post in this thread for tonight I promise lol. Thanks mom and dad for the torque sticks and torque wrench in return for always fixing things and doing things for them. Thanks Gates for the free belt wear gauges. And thanks to my wallet for the Husky socket.

Back