New, to us, 2017 Impala Premier with leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came in from setting some things up and having a look around. According to the manual, I am way too early for new engine and cabin air filters.
Also, I noticed, in order to reset the TPM's, you need to purchase a reset tool from GM?? Is this true, can it not be done any other way?
21.gif

What products will you use on the paint prior to apply the Collinite 845? The Pinnaclce Cleansing lotion looks like it would do a very nice job. So wash, clay, Pinnacle CL, Collinite would be my preference.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What products will you use on the paint prior to apply the Collinite 845? The Pinnaclce Cleansing lotion looks like it would do a very nice job. So wash, clay, Pinnacle CL, Collinite would be my preference.

I likely won't get too carried away, just a good wash/dry and then Collinite's. I haven't heard of Pinnacle cleansing lotion before but I may check it out? I do have a clay bar kit that I purchased back in 13 for my truck but I never got around to using it. Maybe I'll bring it out in the spring and use it on my wife's new car?
21.gif

I was really hoping to get a coat of wax on it before winter arrives here, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Rain tomorrow they are calling for now!
mad.gif

The Pinnacle cleaner is kind of expensive at $30 a bottle unless they have a smaller bottle I didn't see on there. After washing you could do an IPA wipe down which is what the top detailers do after polishing to remove residue, oils from the polish. All it consists of is 70% rubbing alcohol and distilled water, about 75/25% ratio. That way the surface will be squeaky clean for the 845. Try to garage vehicle over night so the wax/sealant can cure properly(ideally). If you can't no big deal, better than doing nothing to it.

You can spot clay her car esp the lower areas near the ground. You can use car wash soap to do this. Any areas that feel rough will need it. Claying all surfaces can cause some swirling in the paint, then you need to polish or even compound the paint which can be a never ending cycle and also affecting the paint thickness since you keep wearing away clearcoat(when polishing and compounding). Clay the glass esp the windshield to break in the clay. It's harder to scratch up glass versus paint. Good practice before moving on to the painted surfaces.
smile.gif

The main goal is to keep the car clean and protected.

The Pinnacle cleaner is kind of expensive at $30 a bottle unless they have a smaller bottle I didn't see on there. .After washing you could do an IPA wipe down which is what the top detailers do after polishing to remove residue, oils from the polish. All it consists of is 70% rubbing alcohol and distilled water, about 75/25% ratio. That way the surface will be squeaky clean for the 845 Try to garage vehicle over night so the wax/sealant can cure properly(ideally). If you can't no big deal, better than doing nothing to it.

You can spot clay her car esp the lower areas near the ground. You can use car wash soap to do this. Any areas that feel rough will need it. Claying all surfaces can cause some swirling in the paint, then you need to polish or even compound the paint which can be a never ending cycle and also affecting the paint thickness since you keep wearing away clearcoat(when polishing and compounding). Clay the glass esp the windshield to break in the clay. It's harder to scratch up glass versus paint. Good practice before moving on to the painted surfaces.
smile.gif

The main goal is to keep the car clean and protected.

I have never heard of that before but may give it a try?
Also never knew the Claying could leave some swirls in the paint? Knowing this now, I think I will avoid it on my wife's car, especially since it is Black, which I would assume, is likely the worst color for showing swirls.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Also never knew the Claying could leave some swirls in the paint? Knowing this now, I think I will avoid it on my wife's car, especially since it is Black, which I would assume, is likely the worst color for showing swirls.

11.gif

Sure thing, I tried it for the first time back in June and it really helped durability. The other thing I did differently was putting the car in the garage for a few days since I went on a trip. This allowed the sealant to cure properly. The first 24 hours is the most important. The evening or morning dew can even affect the curing process.

I was hoping to put another coat on both cars but ran out of time. It's freezing cold here now.

11.gif

Sure thing, I tried it for the first time back in June and it really helped durability. The other thing I did differently was putting the car in the garage for a few days since I went on a trip. This allowed the sealant to cure properly. The first 24 hours is the most important. The evening or morning dew can even affect the curing process.

I was hoping to put another coat on both cars but ran out of time. It's freezing cold here now.

Unfortunately, one garage bay is full due to my Monte Carlo being in there and the other currently has one snowmobile (mine) and shortly another one will be arriving

(my son's). Add in a couple workbenches, tools, garbage can, etc, and there's barely enough room for me!
shocked.gif

I just came in from setting some things up and having a look around. According to the manual, I am way too early for new engine and cabin air filters.
Also, I noticed, in order to reset the TPM's, you need to purchase a reset tool from GM?? Is this true, can it not be done any other way?
21.gif

My engine air filter was just like new! I only found 2 small pieces of grass and one small leaf in the belly/bottom of the box. I was glad to see this as I know the car likely wasn't driven in [censored].
After I seen the condition of this filter I didn't even attempt to change the cabin air filter as I assumed it was likely the same or even better?
I, at least now, have 2 filters in stock when the time comes, but based on this and our driving styles, I might be a couple more years yet before I actually need to change them out?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Check the owners manual for filter change intervals. It’s way too soon to think of that stuff now.

I guess I was just too excited with our new purchase and was trying to do everything I could, mtce wise, to make sure this car was good to go.
I was extremely pleased to see the air filter was as clean as it was as that told me something about how this car was driven and the conditions it was driven in.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
I have a black 2007 Impala that is my everyday car and I really love it. Since I live in Texas trying to keep the interior looking nice is all about keeping the sunlight out. I have weather tech floor mats as I just cannot keep from bringing dirt into any vehicle and these have helped protect the interior carpet plus they are very easy to clean. I also have purchased a leather steering wheel cover that actually looks nice and protects the original steering wheel cover as it still looks new. I would just purchase a good quality cleaner and conditioner from Autogeek and apply every 3 months or at least every 6 months. You have a beautiful car!

My last 3 vehicles, all trucks, had Weathertech floor mats but this time around I thought I would try Husky floor liners. I Googled and watched some vids and based on those I decided to give them a try this time. Mainly, I got that they cover a little bit better and what I really liked was the fact at the door sill, they actually came over that spot instead of just butting up to it. I also couldn't beat the price. They will delivered, front and back ones, all for $163 CDN. The weathertechs were easily going to cost me a $100 dollars more. I'll let you know when I receive them and what my thoughts are.

Also, (can't multi quote here?) thanks for the tips, info and the congratulations.
cheers3.gif
I am going to stick with Woolite and water for now, as like what was mentioned above, these leather seats are coated. Not a bad day out today, other than being on the cool side, so hopefully I can get around to getting some things done?

Thanks again, everyone!
cheers3.gif

I received my Husky floor liners yesterday and it turns out they do not cover the door sills like I thought they would. The one's that do are called X-Act Contour, which, unfortunately, these aren't. I re-looked and it turns out they are not made for this Impala. My fault, I did't do enough research but with that being said, they are every bit as good, imo, as the Weather Tech's and I got them for a lot less money! The fit is great and they cover well, and aside from the sill part, I think we will be happy with them.

Irv, thanks for the information on the Husky floor mats. I am going to take a look at them for some of our other vehicles as saving money is pretty important now for me.

Irv, thanks for the information on the Husky floor mats. I am going to take a look at them for some of our other vehicles as saving money is pretty important now for me.

You're Welcome.
cheers3.gif

I think, imo, Weathertech has the market somewhat cornered? When you hear people talk about floor mats and the like, the first thing people say is, Weathertech. They haven't even thought about other, much cheaper options that are available. My wife drove the car with them today and she says the feel and work great and she is pretty happy with me purchasing them. I honestly don't see much, if any difference between the Husky's and them, only the Husky's, as mentioned, are quite a bit cheaper.

I got the car undercoated yesterday at Krown here in Oshawa. I had an appt booked for this Friday at a competitor's place but to be honest, I don't think the applicator is as good as he could be?
I see no difference between Krown and Rust Check as both are certainly great products. Imo, the real test is who applies it and how good they do.
I was lucky, as I have been told a few times, the new owners of Krown do a great job and I was able to get in on a cancellation.
I looked it over pretty good after it was home, and I have to agree, they did a great job.

I am currently just waiting for my new snow tires and rims to come in and I am also picking up some new GM moulded mudflaps today, hopefully, so I should be able to install them when I am installing my new snowies.

My wife is still on cloud nine with this car, she simply loves it and can't quit talking about it. I had it yesterday for a bit, and by far, it is the nicest car I have ever driven or have ridden in. Still stoked myself!
20.gif

A few more things done and now I can officially say I am done working on this car until the spring, thankfully!
cheers3.gif

New GM molded mud flaps installed, winter tires and rims finally arrived and were installed, tinting of the windows was done today and to top it all off, I got around to getting a coat of wax on it!
It wasn't the best conditions today for a wax job, only +6 C out, but I thought WTH and went for it. Everything turned out great but the car sure does look different with the snowies on it now.
frown.gif

Last edited:

You're Welcome.
cheers3.gif

I think, imo, Weathertech has the market somewhat cornered? When you hear people talk about floor mats and the like, the first thing people say is, Weathertech. They haven't even thought about other, much cheaper options that are available. My wife drove the car with them today and she says the feel and work great and she is pretty happy with me purchasing them. I honestly don't see much, if any difference between the Husky's and them, only the Husky's, as mentioned, are quite a bit cheaper.

I’m a long time user of Weather Tech ~ but the dealer talked me into ordering the GM 3 row kit for the Tahoe ~ great fit, coverages, and color match. They too are made in USA
I have also found Weather Tech mats to be one of the most appreciated Christmas gifts for the money …

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sharp car!

Thanks!
cheers3.gif

4WD, were those GM mats pricey? Coming from a dealer, I would guess they were but if they gave you a deal, or were competitively priced, then you likely can't go wrong with them.

Looks good, the tint really sets it off! Really makes a difference in the summer, I did the same to the GTI. Although a little (alot...) darker than law would allow
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta
Looks good, the tint really sets it off! Really makes a difference in the summer, I did the same to the GTI. Although a little (alot...) darker than law would allow
grin.gif

Thanks
cheers3.gif

I agree, and I am glad I now have something that will help protect/cool the leather interior in the summer.

I went with a middle of the road tint, or a 15. The trim tech guy had 3 darknesses to choose from so I went with the middle one. My wife's last car had the darkest installed and although it looked great, it was way to difficult to see out of at night.
With our 16 yr old son driving our car occasionally, and our failing eyesight, the 15 is plenty dark for all of us.

My tint guy told me any tint up here is technically illegal. If they can't see the driver (their opinion/judgment) then they can charge you? I wasn't aware of that but since I have used tint trouble free for all these years without issue, it really didn't concern me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back