New to the fleet 2001 Suburban !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in Dallas visiting family, Had $$$ burning in my pocket and was in market for a new DD SUV and wanted to grab something before the "tax time buyers" hit

SO...................................... after looking a several turds AKA junk "auction flips"

Found a LOADED 2001 Suburban 1500 autoride, 2WD 246K miles for $1400 cash, Owner said he needed cash for bills and wife got a new equinox blah blah
I dont like white vehicles but could pass up this deal lol

When I picked it up from owners home I added some seafoam and Mystery oil to flush out whatever oil junk was in it. Already did a fresh OCI using my AAP clearance MS5K 5W30 "Break in" to let old oil mix in and then around April/May it's getting M1 EP 10W30 for hot southern summer months !!!

Has new LT BF goodrich tires, Sunroof, Rear DVD system, G80, GT4, stupid rare Z55 chassis(Same as Escalade ESV/Denali XL)

Aside from a few stain on carpet and a funny mildew smell. interior is nice !!! Driver seat is 8 out of 10 !!! No metal visible in seat frame lol

"My half glass full" side still wondering if this was a SCORE or a "Flop" ??

Well... So far on this "$1400 score" I'm invested in so far

So far have done following:

Camshaft position sensor $30
New battery 800 CCA $75 ( Came with a new AZ cheapo but was a group 75, Not a 78)
LED interior 1121, 119 upgrade $20
Phillip's 5000K white low beam bulbs $17
3X Champion beam Wipers $16
Wix Fuel filter $8
cabin filters $12
Trans service New Fluid, Filter gasket, Lucas trans additive, $100
Synthetic Air filter $12
New stant Gas cap $6
New Radiator overflow tank cap $6
Mobil S5K Oil change "Free"......Hehe
wink.gif

Dayco Upper radiator hose $15
Idler arm $18
Floor mats $20
4 Ceramic Brake pads/rotors $110 pepboys
Front hub assemblies $ 75
Front/rear Shocks $100 amazon
Front Bump stops $25

Still have to do:

Rebuilt ABS module

New 4 set of Headlights/turns $65
6.5 Door speakers $25
Android/Navigation system $200

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
In my neck of the woods 1400 bucks will barely get you a sludge monster. You did very well! Looks to be in excellent shape! Nice find.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
In my neck of the woods 1400 bucks will barely get you a sludge monster. You did very well! Looks to be in excellent shape! Nice find.

Ya all my mechanics and car buddies have said the same lol

Dallas area is a big wholesale market. I seen a few nice '07+ LTZ Suburbans and Yukon denalis for $5-8K. I missed a NICE 'black on black Loaded 08 LTZ burban one owner for $6K a week ago, Only had 175K miles and was lady driven since new

Dave

Originally Posted by oldhp
Nice score!!! Funky mildew smell............I hope not a flood truck. Any signs of water damage?

Nope, I had it checked out 2 times and ran a VIN auto check and NICB on it and no flood/water damage reported .

According to the family I bought it from, they got it from a family friend who bought it new. I was told it was 1st owners 2nd spare/vacation vehicle and it sat for a long time parked in driveway and had a lot of debris and dirt in the door jams/hatch so that could be causing the smell ??.

He said the original owner had $$$ and it was always fully maintained and serviced. But i did not receive records so cant verify any of that info

Accord to the vehicle report, I'm the 3rd owner of this rig

Dave

Seems like a good buy to me!!

DFW is definitely a buyers market for used vehicles if you stay away from Dealers, Though Trucks & SUV's usually bloat in price this time of year.

Nobody "rebuilds" those ABS modules.....They re-solder where the Relay mounts to the circuit board &/or the Pump Motor feeds at the circuit board.
You have to separate the metal cover from the plastic housing, Use a magnifying glass to find the cold/cracked solder joints, Re-flow the solder with a pinch of new solder using an Iron.
Use Permatex Right Stuff or Ultra Black to affix/seal the cover back on the module.

Sweet deal!

New Suburbans start at like $45k, so at the price you bought it for, you could drop in a new GM crate engine and built tranny and get another 250k miles out of it and still be way ahead. Of course as time goes on suspension and interior and other things will need attention.

Nice score! Love that it's a Z55, and if the typical problems ever arise, you could always grab the kit from Arnott and call it a day.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Sweet deal!

New Suburbans start at like $45k, so at the price you bought it for, you could drop in a new GM crate engine and built tranny and get another 250k miles out of it and still be way ahead. Of course as time goes on suspension and interior and other things will need attention.

Ahh......$45K for a new burban ??? I sold them new a few years ago, LS models started at $55k, Most I sold were loaded LT models around $65K

This style truck was designed in the late 90's !!! Getting aged now'a days. In my region, The GMT 900's '07-14 body style have gone down in used market price so much IMO those SUV's will be worth a new engine/trans combo to go extra miles. Aside from brakes and suspension upgrades, Just add a new 2 din head unit with Android/navigation, A good rear back up camera and BAM close to new !!

A PPV 07-newer and/or LTZ Suburban are on my radar this year

Dave

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Nice. Maybe a fluid change on the diff?

Already done
cool.gif
cheers3.gif
. Picked up 3 single qts of ST full syn 75W90 at Walmart for $6 each nothing comes close to that price for full syn

Dave

GMguy84 said:
Was in Dallas visiting family, Had $$$ burning in my pocket and was in market for a new DD SUV and wanted to grab something before the "tax time buyers" hit

SO...................................... after looking a several turds AKA junk "auction flips"

Found a LOADED 2001 Suburban 1500 autoride, 2WD 246K miles for $1400 cash, Owner said he needed cash for bills and wife got a new equinox blah blah
I dont like white vehicles but could pass up this deal lol

When I picked it up from owners home I added some seafoam and Mystery oil to flush out whatever oil junk was in it. Already did a fresh OCI using my AAP clearance MS5K 5W30 "Break in" to let old oil mix in and then around April/May it's getting M1 EP 10W30 for hot southern summer months !!!

Has new LT BF goodrich tires, Sunroof, Rear DVD system, G80, GT4, stupid rare Z55 chassis(Same as Escalade ESV/Denali XL)

Aside from a few stain on carpet and a funny mildew smell. interior is nice !!! Driver seat is 8 out of 10 !!! No metal visible in seat frame lol

"My half glass full" side still wondering if this was a SCORE or a "Flop" ??

Well... So far on this "$1400 score" I'm invested in so far
[/quote
Dude! Nice. ll Congrats and have fun in it!! 246k isn't much for a 5.3 especially if they kept that oil changed.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
What is so special about the Z55 chassis ?

From what I was told by GM techs and one guy who worked at the Arlington TX factory,

RPO: Z55 chassis package bi-state real-time damping was the "top of the line" chassis mostly used on Denali and Escalades of the time. They said it was a EXTREMELY rare in a Suburban of that era

According to Compnine, Only 17,821 out of 146K 2001 Suburban's had them !!!

This Suburban is a LT model their was NO LTZ model until 2006, But they told me its loaded and optioned like a "LTZ model" for 2001 lol

Dave

Took a better look and yikes looks like it had rough start during its infancy years lol

08/11/2000 5 Friendly Chevrolet
Dallas, TX
214-920-1900
friendlychevy.com
Pre-delivery inspection completed
VIN glass etching vin etched

09/30/2000 52 Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lancaster, TX

01/18/2001 5,035 miles Service Facility Maintenance inspection completed
Trim repaired
Glass repaired
Fuel injection system flushed/serviced
Engine/powertrain computer/module
reprogrammed
Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced

04/27/2001 8,216 miles
Service Facility Maintenance inspection completed
Seat or seat upholstery repaired
Front seat cushion replaced
Rear seat belt assembly replaced

2/20/19, 12(22 AM
Page 2 of 6
Right rear window motor replaced
Left rear window motor replaced
06/20/2001 11,244 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

08/03/2001 13,565 miles
Service Facility Oil and filter changed
Transmission mount(s) replaced
Fuel tank replaced
Fuel pump replaced
09/01/2001 Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lancaster, TX
Title

Registration issued or renewed
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection

04/09/2002 22,482 Service Facility Transmission serviced
Cargo cover installed
Engine/powertrain computer/module
reprogrammed
Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced
Transmission replaced

Similar to my 2003 Z71 that I got for $2K.. except mine is 4wd.

Things that are kind of common in these era are dash clusters failing, knock sensors and rusted brake lines near the front of the frame. I have had all 3 churn up on me in the past 2 yrs.

You may want to see if you can release the spare tire in the back if it still has one. Mine was stuck.. had to be torched out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back