New to me Snap-On EPIQ Roll Cab

It appears that there is nothing epic about the Epiq slides. ;)
Indeed. The amount of weight that these drawers can support is pretty epiq, so perhaps I need to lower my expectations in regards to their smoothness.

I think you're right - my expectations may be too high. The new slides made a small difference, but the larger drawers with dual slides are definitely not as smooth as I expected.

I will say that r/r-ing the slides is a bigger pain than I expected.
I just went and checked my Craftsman ball bearing chest. Not as wide as yours though and as smooth as can be. I was actually surprised at how smooth they all ran, even the ones with decent weight in them.

I have encountered some that feel more rough. Not sure of the difference. But smooth/rough is one thing. High force to get the drawer started on its way out is another.

I just went and checked my Craftsman ball bearing chest. Not as wide as yours though and as smooth as can be. I was actually surprised at how smooth they all ran, even the ones with decent weight in them.
Mine are smooth too, and I have quite a bit of weight in a few of the draws.

Makes me think the issue is the quality of the bb slides that SO is getting. Or else something else is rubbing/binding inside.
Agreed. I don’t know who their supplier is, but two pairs of slides I received were not usable due to the clips being incorrectly bent during manufacturing.

9C825A29-1D03-4A91-B9B7-E2BEE4A07826.jpeg
E93229A2-9196-4257-9E31-94DE48448879.jpeg

If you remember my previous threads, I have been in the market for some additional tool storage. I had a 44" Series 2 box, but was never happy with the drawer configuration. Plus I was simply out of space.

Due to the configuration of my home garage, the available footprint for tool storage was limited. I was able to increase the footprint by doing some re-organization, but was still limited to a ~72x30 sized box. I also wanted some workbench space since I do not have a table in this garage. After some research, I was surprised to learn that a new Tool Vault Elite/Montezuma 30" deep box was not much less than a used Snap-On Masters/EPIQ series box!

I decided to search for a used Snap-On box, but was further surprised by the lack of inventory in CA/NV...especially for the 30" deep boxes. I eventually found a 68" EPIQ box with the Stainless Steel Power Top that was 100 miles from me. The box was 4 years old and had been used as a tech's secondary box, mainly for storage of less-frequently used tools. The overall condition of the box was a B/B- and the color was not my first choice, but for my needs, this will more than suffice.

I paid $5000. It was a little more than I was originally hoping to spend, but still a significant savings compared to new. The current MSRP for this box is $16,990, though most people usually receive a 30-35% discount from MSRP.

After some machine polishing to restore its shine, here are some pictures of the box in its new home:

View attachment 133958
View attachment 133959
Are you sure the previous owner doesn't owe anything to the tool truck guy?

He does, but his tool truck guy gave me a receipt stating that the box was sold to me.
Good. Just to CYA, you should contact Snap On credit and make sure they show the box not on their books in case you ever need warranty repair.

Good. Just to CYA, you should contact Snap On credit and make sure they show the box not on their books in case you ever need warranty repair.
Without going into too much detail, I have already tested this.

Makes sense. It was repo’d. Rather than sitting on a depreciating asset the sell it as a different deal and do what they are going to do with the guy that financed it. (Probably a corporate level deal).

I saw some T&C of similar thing, if there is a revenue gap between your $5k and what the guy still owed on it (total payments, not just the principal). He’s is then on the hook with collection agency for the difference

Agreed. I don’t know who their supplier is, but two pairs of slides I received were not usable due to the clips being incorrectly bent during manufacturing.

View attachment 136984View attachment 136985
That stuff is usually easy to fix, I broke 2 slides on my Matco box (my fault but they sent me new ones even after I admitted it) but the new ones works slick. Have you tried a teflon dry lube on the slides before installing them?

That stuff is usually easy to fix, I broke 2 slides on my Matco box (my fault but they sent me new ones even after I admitted it) but the new ones works slick. Have you tried a teflon dry lube on the slides before installing them?
I tried bending those tabs back, but it was nearly impossible.

No, I did not lube the new slides before install. I wasn’t sure what grease was already used.

Apparently, it is easy to inflict damage during slide removal. Maybe I do not have a good technique, but even in the Snap-On video below, it seems like it isn’t possible to complete this job without inflicting some degree of paint damage.

I think I’ll be sourcing a 90 deg plastic trim before doing more drawers.

The SPP837 works fine, but it will remove some paint. Wrapping the blade with masking tape helps a little bit. I didn't need that mallet when I did mine. A thin plastic gift card will locate the claw. You'll want to insert the pry bar directly above the claw, not on the side of the claw where the gift card slips through. Keep in mind that I'm referring to the claw in the middle of each slide, not the bayonet you have pictured.

Accuride and Snap-on have parted ways a few years back. They now source their slides from a Taiwan manufacturer. I suggest keeping your old slides and soaking them down with GooGone. The toothbrush bristles help work the GooGone between the steel balls and dislodge any debris. After cleaning, blow out the GooGone with compressed air.

Last edited:
The SPP837 works fine, but it will remove some paint. Wrapping the blade with masking tape helps a little bit. I didn't need that mallet when I did mine. A thin plastic gift card will locate the claw. You'll want to insert the pry bar directly above the claw, not on the side of the claw where the gift card slips through.

Accuride and Snap-on have parted ways a few years back. They now source their slides from a Taiwan manufacturer. I suggest keeping your old slides and soaking them down with GooGone. The toothbrush bristles help work the GooGone between the steel balls and dislodge any debris. After cleaning, blow out the GooGone with compressed air.
The replacement slides I received were made in USA - so I wonder who the new vendor is.

Give us some details. Did you buy a box that wasn't paid off with the tool truck guy?
The previous owner continues to have a balance on his tool truck account. This toolbox was purchased using the tool truck account.

His franchisee (dealer) gave me a receipt stating that the toolbox (with the serial # listed) has been sold to me. Whether or not that holds up in court, I have no idea, but it is better than nothing.

The previous owner continues to have a balance on his tool truck account. This toolbox was purchased using the tool truck account.

His franchisee (dealer) gave me a receipt stating that the toolbox (with the serial # listed) has been sold to me. Whether or not that holds up in court, I have no idea, but it is better than nothing.
You should contact Snap On Credit and have them run the s/n of your box to see if it shows you as the new owner.

You should contact Snap On Credit and have them run the s/n of your box to see if it shows you as the new owner.
Before I bought the box, I did. They said they had no record of the box being financed. The rep mentioned that sometimes, the franchisee does not report the loan.

Back