New to me Snap-On EPIQ Roll Cab

If you remember my previous threads, I have been in the market for some additional tool storage. I had a 44" Series 2 box, but was never happy with the drawer configuration. Plus I was simply out of space.

Due to the configuration of my home garage, the available footprint for tool storage was limited. I was able to increase the footprint by doing some re-organization, but was still limited to a ~72x30 sized box. I also wanted some workbench space since I do not have a table in this garage. After some research, I was surprised to learn that a new Tool Vault Elite/Montezuma 30" deep box was not much less than a used Snap-On Masters/EPIQ series box!

I decided to search for a used Snap-On box, but was further surprised by the lack of inventory in CA/NV...especially for the 30" deep boxes. I eventually found a 68" EPIQ box with the Stainless Steel Power Top that was 100 miles from me. The box was 4 years old and had been used as a tech's secondary box, mainly for storage of less-frequently used tools. The overall condition of the box was a B/B- and the color was not my first choice, but for my needs, this will more than suffice.

I paid $5000. It was a little more than I was originally hoping to spend, but still a significant savings compared to new. The current MSRP for this box is $16,990, though most people usually receive a 30-35% discount from MSRP.

After some machine polishing to restore its shine, here are some pictures of the box in its new home:

8BDD26D1-5C74-4C5F-A212-C9D94760AE66.jpeg

17C0050F-EFB5-4992-B1E8-F25CC4E9B5EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Is the trim color silver? It looks like it could be titanium. Maybe the black paint reflecting off the silver makes it look titanium.

Is the trim color silver? It looks like it could be titanium. Maybe the black paint reflecting off the silver makes it look titanium.
160D5547-12AE-4CC1-A611-CC12AD3CF3B2.jpeg

Looks like “titanium.”

You’ll have to excuse the staining on the trim. I’m not sure what it is, but it isn’t coming off easily.

PPF? You take care of your stuff, might work.
My PPF guy already suggested that, LOL!

The white spots will probably come off with some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
I have already tried compounds that are significantly more aggressive than Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and the spots are not coming off.

After talking to @clinebarger and a few others, it looks like some of the drawers may need new slides. After the drawers are loaded, some of them do not slide as smoothly and are squeaky.

Since I am technically not the original owner, this might be tricky. The slides are $120/pair and 1/2 of the drawers use double-slides.

Apparently, it is easy to inflict damage during slide removal. Maybe I do not have a good technique, but even in the Snap-On video below, it seems like it isn’t possible to complete this job without inflicting some degree of paint damage.

I think I’ll be sourcing a 90 deg plastic trim before doing more drawers.

Although replacing the slides cures any noise, even the new ones do not slide very smoothly….at least compared to my old toolbox. Maybe ball bearing slides just have a different feel?

The old slides did not have any obvious contamination and the quantity of grease was similar to the new ones.

Lastly, I don’t think cleaning and greasing the slides will accomplish much. These balls use very little grease.

Attachments

• D5D545FD-464B-4330-AB95-D80370AC62C3.jpeg
    D5D545FD-464B-4330-AB95-D80370AC62C3.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 70310FEF-AE3C-4B3E-96F8-101AFDBA1D0D.jpeg
    70310FEF-AE3C-4B3E-96F8-101AFDBA1D0D.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 015CB4FD-618D-4ECD-83A0-99C72A8D2078.jpeg
    015CB4FD-618D-4ECD-83A0-99C72A8D2078.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 12
Apparently, it is easy to inflict damage during slide removal. Maybe I do not have a good technique, but even in the Snap-On video below, it seems like it isn’t possible to complete this job without inflicting some degree of paint damage.

I think I’ll be sourcing a 90 deg plastic trim before doing more drawers.

Although replacing the slides cures any noise, even the new ones do not slide very smoothly….at least compared to my old toolbox. Maybe ball bearing slides just have a different feel?

The old slides did not have any obvious contamination and the quantity of grease was similar to the new ones.

Lastly, I don’t think cleaning and greasing the slides will accomplish much. These balls use very little grease.

I have an Epiq 68 I bought used, I pulled all the slides and cleaned them by soaking in diesel then sprayed them with some silicone lube, they are fine but nothing really special. None of them seem to be as smooth as my lowly KRA4107. I will say that especially on the drawers with dual slides, like the top drawer, they will get smoother and easier with weight added to them. come to think of it, my drawers that don't glide as well on the epiq are the full width drawers, I wonder if the span makes the difference.

I have an Epiq 68 I bought used, I pulled all the slides and cleaned them by soaking in diesel then sprayed them with some silicone lube, they are fine but nothing really special. None of them seem to be as smooth as my lowly KRA4107. I will say that especially on the drawers with dual slides, like the top drawer, they will get smoother and easier with weight added to them. come to think of it, my drawers that don't glide as well on the epiq are the full width drawers, I wonder if the span makes the difference.
I think you're right - my expectations may be too high. The new slides made a small difference, but the larger drawers with dual slides are definitely not as smooth as I expected.

I will say that r/r-ing the slides is a bigger pain than I expected.

Back