New (to me) piston soak technique

I can't seem to get all the spark plugs in finger tight. Two will turn about 12 times until the gasket hits, and the other two I can only turn 2-3 times by hand. I suppose the grooves are crudded up. I was planning on running the old plugs for a little while longer until everything gets cleaned out. Should I go ahead and install the new plugs after the soak or try to run the old plugs for a few more miles? Any tips for getting the old plugs back in if that's even a good idea?

I’d purchase new plugs.

atf will reduce the effectiveness of the solvent. I can’t understand why you would want that. The goal here is to clear the oil ring and its drains.

I’d purchase new plugs.

atf will reduce the effectiveness of the solvent. I can’t understand why you would want that. The goal here is to clear the oil ring and its drains.
I have new plugs, I was just wondering if I should install them right after I clear all the liquid out. I used b12 and MMO (about 60/40) and turned the engine a few times with the drain plug out. It's still dripping. I plan to leave it overnight.

Hey gang! I'm about to do a piston soak/plug change on my 09 Pontiac Vibe with the Toyota 2az fe 2.4L engine and 173k miles. I watched a video where someone did the same thing with success, but he did something I'd never thought of. Basically, he added sea foam in the spark plug holes, and installed new plugs without cranking out the excess. But, he did put the car in gear and move it a few feet in drive and reverse. I'd imagine this is a good way to work the solvent down the pistons provided it doesn't damage anything. I know not to start the engine with non-compressible liquid in there, but he simply pushed the car (I assume) in gear to turn the engine over. I thought I'd do this, but also bump the engine with the plugs removed at the end just to blow out any remaining liquid/carbon. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance! Here's the video if you're interested:

Go order 2 bottles of BG EPR.
Use fresh Super Tech oil.
You idle with it in the engine fir 20-30 mins.

It really works to clean your piston rings.
Did wonders for an oil drinking audi we had.

Run the second bottle a few hundred miles later.
It's the bees knees.

I’d purchase new plugs.

Acetone + ATF makes a good penetrating oil where acetone alone does not much. I think the two together makes the difference.

It's the bees knees.
I tried that to little avail. The oil consumption reduced only slightly after the second application,. I may use it occasionally anyway since my oil came out black both times after being barely visible (clean) on the dipstick. Very good engine cleaner at the very least.

I tried that to little avail. The oil consumption reduced only slightly after the second application,. I may use it occasionally anyway since my oil came out black both times after being barely visible (clean) on the dipstick. Very good engine cleaner at the very least.
Wow - BG did nothing?
You tried it twice? - - 1 can did not do enough, after I did the second treatment and let the car idle for 30mins. That is when I noticed a change on consumption.

I saw fairly decent advice years ago.. if it doesnt work as a parts washer it wont do what you want it to do.

There was a younger mechanic prepping heads and pistons after a head gasket job with Seafoam and it wasnt working. The older mechanic got a can of Carb Dip and it melted the gunk off. Not sure the pros and cons of Carb Dip as a soak but it works as a parts washer really well.

In todays time someone needs to do a youtube video soaking various pistons of the same engine in 1,2,3 etc and show proof of what works and what dont. the old stories just dont hold up like youtube videos.

It's the bees knees.

Sorry to hijack, but do you think that would do any good for an oil burning Ecotec 2.4 that's known for oil consumption? Wife's Equinox tends to burn off oil at about 1 quart/1500 miles.

Sorry to hijack, but do you think that would do any good for an oil burning Ecotec 2.4 that's known for oil consumption? Wife's Equinox tends to burn off oil at about 1 quart/1500 miles.
It helped my 2009 Vibe somewhat with the 2az fe engine known for oil consumption. I went from a quart every 500 miles to almost half that. If nothing else, it's a fantastic engine cleaner. It turned my oil black as ink after it was almost clear on the stick.

Wow - BG did nothing?
You tried it twice? - - 1 can did not do enough, after I did the second treatment and let the car idle for 30mins. That is when I noticed a change on consumption.
Did you warm up the engine first or just put it in cold? I followed the directions, but just noticed it said a minimum of 10 minutes. I may do another round and run it for 30 next time.

Thanks for all the helpful advice on my first piston soak! Too soon to tell about oil consumption, but one thing I noticed is that my fuel trims are much closer to 0 and it idles smoother without the fluctuating RPM I had before. (maybe it evened out the compression?) The new NGK laser iridium plugs I put in probably helped too. Thanks again!

Ok. Unfortunately I don't think a piston soak will help much. That Toyota engine has a known flaw. The pistons have oil return holes that are too few and too small. They can clog with carbon varnish and sludge very easily. Once that happens the rings can't wipe the oil away so it ponds up on the piston tops. Yes the rings are likely jammed up. But it really doesn't matter. There is nothing short of replacement that can clear those holes. So the oil consumption problem will persist. There is a TSB that discusses this in better detail. Look up 2007-2009 Camry 2 AZ - Fe oil consumption tsb

Ok. Unfortunately I don't think a piston soak will help much. That Toyota engine has a known flaw. The pistons have oil return holes that are too few and too small. They can clog with carbon varnish and sludge very easily. Once that happens the rings can't wipe the oil away so it ponds up on the piston tops. Yes the rings are likely jammed up. But it really doesn't matter. There is nothing short of replacement that can clear those holes. So the oil consumption problem will persist. There is a TSB that discusses this in better detail. Look up 2007-2009 Camry 2 AZ - Fe oil consumption tsb
I'm well aware of this problem. I'm just trying to reduce consumption as much as I can. I really don't have any options other than sell the car or live with it, but I'm about to give up as my plugs were fouled in about 5000 miles and I have a cat code.

Wow - BG did nothing?
Did you rev the engine up to 1200 rpm or just let it idle? I just noticed I double gasket-ed my drain plug last time and I was leaking oil. This time, my consumption is way down. I may try another can next oci.

I'm well aware of this problem. I'm just trying to reduce consumption as much as I can. I really don't have any options other than sell the car or live with it, but I'm about to give up as my plugs were fouled in about 5000 miles and I have a cat code.

Being that the problem seems to be based on the flawed design of the piston rings, have you considered doing a re-ring job? A new set of file fit rings are not expensive. Re-ring kits usually include new bearings too which is a bonus. If the cylinder bore and pistons are within specs you can re-use them with new rings and use a 400 grit drill hone to clean up the bores a little.

Obviously this would be difficult to do if you live in an apartment complex, or otherwise don't have access to a garage or tools.

But if it's a decent car other than the oil burning, it would be worth the effort to me.

Back