New to me mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad has a Honda Quadra cut that he had let me borrow until I found the right one. I had grown tired of my electric mowers and the stupid cords. I found this Honda Quadra Cut at a local pawn shop that they had for some months. They ended up dropping the price today. They stated that the self propelled system was bad and that’s why he dropped the price. Dad gave some good advice about its a Honda motor and you can still push it so I pulled the trigger and bought it. Went and purchased some new blades and a tune up kit from Home Depot. Sea foam from Autozone and started to get to work.

As you can see at the pics below previous owner broke the filter cap and used some screws to close it up. Filter was dirty, spark plug looked ok but I replaced it along with the blades. Then I looked at the self propel system and didn’t note anything wrong wheels moved well except for the back tires being a little worn. So I dropped the height down to second lowest and started mowing when I noticed it wasn’t moving well at all. Turns out the metal guide for the grass going into the bag was extremely bent backwards and digging in as I moved. Took a ball point hammer and hammered it back to almost new. Score for me. it needs a oil change I’m unsure how I will perform that but thought I may use some PPU for the oil
wink.gif
. No really I will use the Honda mower oil but other than that it’s a very good mower small pieces of grass in the bag which I put in my garden as mulch

Any 15w 40 should work well, i'd add a bit of techron, or some berryman b-12 to the fuel. Sparkplug looks carboned, perhaps running a bit rich from a dirty air filter.

Last edited:
Yep you need an oil change. On this Honda you check the oil by wiping the dipstick, put in stick back into the fillhole But Do Not Screw It In. Look at your stick and see if it’s within the cross hatch. Then go ahead and put the dipstick in and screw it in. Watch a You Tube video for a Honda 160 to see how to change it. There’s no drain plug. With the gas as close to empty as possible tip the mower into the drain pan. Should take about 13 oz.

Thanks all. I think I have a vacuum or something that I had bought for the Acura to do rear diff changes might use that. The tune up kit was engine oil, spark plug, and air filter for $17. I will look on Amazon for future purchases. I did notice the belt was off the spool. So I cleaned the spool of packed dirt and moved the belt back to its proper location. Will replace belt in very near future due to your suggestions and unknown time of it being off the spool.

The self propelled issue was actually part of the mower that was bent and digging into the ground. Bent that back now no problems with the self propelled part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back