New to me, first cartridge filter recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The crud that is filtered out isn't deposited anywhere, it is captured within the Filter media itself.

Toyota puts theirs so the cartridge drains out before it is removed. I know my filters sometimes have dirt on the can bottom, so not all is caught in the media. I noticed a few newer GM like the Cruze, Volt, etc have gone to regular canister filters again. The OLM on my 2014 also counts down time as well as use. I have used the engine one mile on the Volt and the OLM says 89% as it counts down to the 24 month maximum allowed.

I think its strange that the 4 cyl uses the replaceable element that when you unscrew it and lift it out, any oil and dirt drains downward in to the holder of the element, and into the crankcase. But the 6 cyl version of the same car uses a screw on filter. When we bought this car didn't give the filter any thought. Now I'm hoping this motor will see at least 150k with this filter setup.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I think its strange that the 4 cyl uses the replaceable element that when you unscrew it and lift it out, any oil and dirt drains downward in to the holder of the element, and into the crankcase. But the 6 cyl version of the same car uses a screw on filter. When we bought this car didn't give the filter any thought. Now I'm hoping this motor will see at least 150k with this filter setup.,,

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of these motors out there with 200,000 miles on them with no problems from the filter setup.

Most debris will stick to the filter media. Yes what does not may drain back down, but will go straight back up into the filter, it will not be circulated through the motor at all. If you're that concerned, remove the filter cap first and take the element out, let it drain from the filter area, then drain the oil. With the drain plug still out, pour a qt of oil in the filter container and let it "flush out" anything that may be in there.

I'm about to change the oil on my wifes '11 Chevy Equinox. First time so I went on you tube to see where the oil filter is. It seems they use just a replacement element, rather then a spin on can. It doesn't appear to have any type of bypass designed in it. I was gonna use a Napa filter, any input on those filters, and why Chevy went this route instead of using a traditional filter?.,,,

The GM cartridge fikter is a breeze. No issues. The bypass gets built into the housing. No worries.

The dirt is captured by the filter, and essentially embedded in the filter media. You are normally not dumping any dirt or debris back into the system, but IF indeed any dirt fell back into the housing, it would be on the "before" side of the filter, and get picked up by the new filter. I have a 2.0 Supercharged Ecotec and the filter change is pretty easy once you get the hang of how it is done. The trick is to get a special filter cap, rather than the standard size socket you are using. Also the OLM is pretty accurate: I have gone numerous 9k oil changes , and changed as soon as the OLM told me too, and followed up with a used oil analysis which always comes back fine.

Something that just occurred to me: notice how a lot of can style filters have unevenly spaced pleats ? But the media-only filters , where the pleats are readily visible are always quite uniform.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Dude just cause you've never seen a cartridge filter before doesn't mean it is a bad design.

The cartridge design has been around longer that the canister. If you have "crud" left behind in your filter housing, you have bigger problems that filter design.

Exactly!

My MS3 was running great at 158k when I flipped it for the 2er. The X3 has 192k on it, the ti has 144k, and the 328i has 105k. All four have cartridge filters. No worries here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back