New to me, first cartridge filter recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to change the oil on my wifes '11 Chevy Equinox. First time so I went on you tube to see where the oil filter is. It seems they use just a replacement element, rather then a spin on can. It doesn't appear to have any type of bypass designed in it. I was gonna use a Napa filter, any input on those filters, and why Chevy went this route instead of using a traditional filter?.,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
If its the 2.4 Ecotec motor I use ACDelco made by Hengst. There are other mfgs of the same filter so look for the name "Hengst" printed on top of the canister. There have been reports of some brands that do not fit well but I can't remember the brands. If you change oil at 5K or so, take a look at the Super Tech at Walmart....looked like
a pretty good filter to me, but not if I were going to run it 10K. Plenty of makers out there for you to pick from.

I changed the oil a few times on my FIL equinox. Getting to the filter cap is a PIA. Other than that, system works fine. I ended up getting a low profile socket and used a flex joint on my extensions to get to the nut.

NAPA doesn't sell junk but I'd go get a Hengst as mentioned above or a WIX or Hastings or even go to the dealer.

With some lead time ordering online can save you $..

Originally Posted By: Kira
NAPA doesn't sell junk but I'd go get a Hengst as mentioned above or a WIX or Hastings or even go to the dealer.

With some lead time ordering online can save you $..

The NAPA Gold filter IS a Wix filter. Their other lines of filters are also made by Wix.

O/P- There are special shallow depth sockets made for the filter cap. Make sure NOT to crank them down tight! 18lbs is the recommended spec, or just barely snug. Also, change the o-ring on the cap.

Our Buick has the 2.4 Ecotec. So far I have used the Hengst made AC Delco filters and they have worked great.

The ACDelco PF457G is a Hengst E630H. If you need a new cap, buy the PF458G. (You don't have to replace the cap unless it's damaged)

Other good filters for the 2.4 Ecotec:
Mann HU 6007x
Purflux L264A
Wix XP 57082XP (Napa Platinum 47082)

Nothing wr4ong with Napa's filters since they are made by Wix. But the Wix cartridges are now made in China, except for the XP/Platinum which is made in Poland. Some people care about this, some people don't.

Here is a Napa Proselect 27082 out of my moms Saturn Vue with the 2.2 L Ecotec.

Now you can't just go by looks, but for me, I will have no problem running this (or the pretty much identical ST9018 filter from Walmart for < $3) from now on using the OLM for the interval.

A 32mm/1¼" shortie socket is needed on many of these vehicles to get the filter cap off. I got mine for ~$8 at Auto Zone.

Also as said, the bypass is built into the engine block, so it is not needed in the cartridge filter itself. I know many (most?) GM spin on filters do not have a bypass (like this Bosch I cut apart)

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
It doesn't appear to have any type of bypass designed in it.

Yes, it does. It's built into the housing.

and why Chevy went this route instead of using a traditional filter?.,,,

Because it gets BITOG members panties in a twist. In addition to that it saves space, is simple to service, and works as well as a regular oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Getting to the filter cap is a PIA.

I actually find it quite easy to remove the cap.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
IIRC, the best way to install is put the filter into the cap first, to avoid
crushing the filter...

The insert that came with the Fram Ultra said the opposite, install filter into housing, then install cap, and is also what I have read how to do it as well.

Canister filters perform better than spin-on's if they are the same overall volume (i.e. outer Length x Diameter). The industry went to a disposable mentality in the 60's; in some cases they are going back to canisters. Expect to see more, not less, of it.

Back when the small-block Chevy was the old 262/265/283/302/305/327/350 generation, the high performance trick was to replace the car spin-on ("Good") with either the truck high volume spin-on ("Better"), or convert to the early truck SBC canister filter ("Best").

Ok the deed is done. The filter was a bit of a pain due to my std size 1 1/4 socket, But with the help of channel lock plyers it's done. I used the called for "ac delco filter" because Napa would have to have it picked up at their warehouse, and I just wanted to get it over with. I did hit the 1 st day of their month long syn oil sale tho, $3.99 a qt. Now while reading the manual and resetting the OLM, it said it counts the revolutions of the motor to determine how much life is left in the oil. And it says 3000 mile changes. It went 5500 miles on what ever oil the dealer put in it, before the olm said to change it. I was planning on going 7 or 8 months or 6500 miles before the next change, due to the oil I used. Is the filter anything to be concerned with going longer then what GM says?.,,,

Why are the Wix XP filters consistently recommended yet the new Mobil filters are dogged on even though their effeciency is much better than the Wix?

Ok the deed is done. The filter was a bit of a pain due to my std size 1 1/4 socket, But with the help of channel lock plyers it's done. I used the called for "ac delco filter" because Napa would have to have it picked up at their warehouse, and I just wanted to get it over with. I did hit the 1 st day of their month long syn oil sale tho, $3.99 a qt. Now while reading the manual and resetting the OLM, it said it counts the revolutions of the motor to determine how much life is left in the oil. And it says 3000 mile changes. It went 5500 miles on what ever oil the dealer put in it, before the olm said to change it. I was planning on going 7 or 8 months or 6500 miles before the next change, due to the oil I used. Is the filter anything to be concerned with going longer then what GM says?.,,,

The OEM filter (or pretty much any name brand filter) can last the OLM recommended change, as well as the NAPA Syn. Just change it when the OLM says to and you are fine.

Another thing that bothered me was, with a standard spin on oil filter when you remove it some oil and pretty much all the dirt it has collected, stays with the filter. With the filter I just replaced, when you unscrew it from the housing and lift it out, nothing is contained. What you have is the filter element, so alot of the crud it collected must get dumped back into the motor. I wouldn't think it would make any difference who's filter you use if all that's collected in it gets drained back into the crankcase. And what ever actually sticks to the filter is the only stuff that gets tossed.,,

Dude just cause you've never seen a cartridge filter before doesn't mean it is a bad design.

The cartridge design has been around longer that the canister. If you have "crud" left behind in your filter housing, you have bigger problems that filter design.

Originally Posted By: oshia86
Why are the Wix XP filters consistently recommended yet the new Mobil filters are dogged on even though their effeciency is much better than the Wix?

The Ecotec is a tough application.

Unlike a few of the other commercial filter manufacturers, the Wix built filters, including the value priced Super Tech, are up to the challenge.

The OEM Delco Hengst is certainly a great choice too.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Dude just cause you've never seen a cartridge filter before doesn't mean it is a bad design.

The cartridge design has been around longer that the canister. If you have "crud" left behind in your filter housing, you have bigger problems that filter design.
Well Dude, I have seen cartridge filters before in the motorcycle world, and in 1950 era cars. Just nothing made recently. So my thought is, if they are the better design why doesn't ever car manufacturer use them? It seems to be about the same amount of work to build the motor with less parts by using the throw away filter can. If you have ever seen what I changed , I'm sure you would ask yourself where does this filter keep the crud, it filters out of the oil?.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back