new to me car tire Q:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a super low mile used car (21,000miles) that sat under a carport for most of the past 6 years.. The Factory Tires are in near perfect condition with loads of rubber left but im seeing some (not much) just some very very fine hairline thin dryrotting.. I want to get as much life out of these tires as i can. Is there a product on the market to address this issue ? something that perhaps could be applied to the tires to help decrease the growth of the problem ?

thanks in advance

New tires. I wouldn't trust tires that sat for 6 years supporting the weight of a car with gosh knows what air pressure and weather/UV exposure. If the car was used regularly in those 6 years, I'd trust them more. For sitting still that whole time, if that's the case, I'd just replace them.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
New tires. I wouldn't trust tires that sat for 6 years supporting the weight of a car with gosh knows what air pressure and weather/UV exposure. If the car was used regularly in those 6 years, I'd trust them more. For sitting still that whole time, if that's the case, I'd just replace them.

its not sat constantly, its been kept plated and insured and was driven somewhat regular up untill 09. since 09 its had 400 miles put on the car with what im sure is nothing but short trips. When i say its got some very VERY small hairline surface cracks that are maybee 1/8 inch in lenth or shorter.. I had to get ontop of these tires to see this.. Ive owned many autos in my time that had dryrot on the tires that was 300% worse than this that provided reliable service for years without issue.. these tires arent even close to that point of needing replaced.. I thought maybee there was a product on the market by now that perhaps moisturized etc.. somethings besides just armoralling them.. there's must be some old school tricks.. I dont have to do anything to them.. but it doesnt hurt to ask.. there not bad..

I have to agree with new tires. They are at least 6 years old. I believe that the tire manufacturers recommend replacing them around 6 yrs or so. I know they are in the business of selling tires. I would not apply anything to the tires as that may degrade the rubber like tire shines and the like. What brand of tire is on there now and do you drive on the highway much?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Nothing you can do. The air and the sun just wear the tires out.

Replace them soon.

frown.gif

For the love of all that is holy, don't squirt ANY product onto your tires. The best options are merely snake oil, the worst will do harm. Invest in a full size spare, check your tire pressure EVERY fill up, and run them until they are bald. Your tires will be a bit less resistant to impact damage than a new tire. You will want to run them on the high end of the pressure range for your car and keep an eagle eye for pressure loss [like I said, EVERY fill-up]. If they start losing pressure, the game is up, replace them, otherwise they will be fine. Unless you drive on horrible pot-holed streets at high speed all of the time...

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
What brand of tire is on there now and do you drive on the highway much?

mixed driving 50/50 driving on a 55mph road and in twon 30 mph most days, and its got MXV4's on it now.

Originally Posted By: barrysuperhawk
For the love of all that is holy, don't squirt ANY product onto your tires. The best options are merely snake oil, the worst will do harm. Invest in a full size spare, check your tire pressure EVERY fill up, and run them until they are bald. Your tires will be a bit less resistant to impact damage than a new tire. You will want to run them on the high end of the pressure range for your car and keep an eagle eye for pressure loss [like I said, EVERY fill-up]. If they start losing pressure, the game is up, replace them, otherwise they will be fine. Unless you drive on horrible pot-holed streets at high speed all of the time...

Its my wifes car and i check pressures on all of our autos atleast once a month, this car cales for 33psi and i put 35 all the way around it. My wife is a very conservative driver.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I thought maybee there was a product on the market by now that perhaps moisturized etc..

Just use copious amounts of thick grease. Slather over the treadwear making sure it gets into all the grooves.

My wife is a very conservative driver.

A severely conservative driver has a dog on their roof.

A very conservative driver tows them in a kennel.

I suppose that there is a chance that these are not factory tires.. i assumed that with the low amount of miliage on the car that these were factory.. but i could be wrong..

I think some got the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and some got the Continental conti pro Contact from what I have heard on the Ford Fusion

hmmm.. well, these tire look brand new.. when i was checking the air i got up REAL, REAL close and thats when i noticed the oh so very very fine cracks.. Its not enuff to alarm me, but enuff to post and get opinions.. I will monitor these tires and see how they do. if obvious problems start happening i will simply replace.. I do it now but i hate just wasting tires with that much rubber on them.

I suppose that there is a chance that these are not factory tires.. i assumed that with the low amount of miliage on the car that these were factory.. but i could be wrong..

Get the date code off the sidewall and find out the age of each tire. Just list them here, some people know the codes by heart.

Don't assume anything with tires. They could be good to go for 5 more years or may need replacing.

MXV4 is a good tire though...its what I have on my Accord...hopefully yours aren't too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back