New tire blow out

I’m specifically curious about the mechanics that caused the tire to tear along its entire circumference on the back side of the wheel

Tires have less than 10k mi on them. Driving about 80 I hear a soft “pop”, as if a small piece of rubber hose bounced against the bottom of the car. Within 2 seconds dash notified of a tire failure and showed a loss of about 20 psi. We pulled over immediately.

Not an issue of over or under inflation. What could cause the tear around entire circumference? How does that happen?

IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg
IMG_6142.jpeg

I am absolutely no expert on tires - but it appears to have rubbed on something that tore it from the outside - not blew from the inside. I have seen truck tires blow out - too much road and too much load as my dad would say. There a large tear at one spot pushing out, not a circle all the way around pushing in?

1) Glad you're OK.
2) Gotta agree with those saying the "circular damage" was secondary to deflation.
3) Running aside uneven blacktop, like when they top one lane at a time, is the only thing I can think of.

Several months. They looked and smelled like new upon receipt
What's the date code? I've gotten new tires installed only to get home and see a 5yo date code.. Agree with others it that it was run flat. going that speed it could have just been the time between something deflating it and you getting off the road. I've had an actual stick bounce around under a car and puncture a sidewall before causing immediate flat.

I thought so too, but TPMS said no? I would expect more shoulder wear too.... If tpms is right I would say something rubbed.
It it lost 10-15psi in a couple seconds per the TPMS, this was a catastrophic failure. Can a TPMS even keep up with that rate of pressure change?

I've done this to tires before, you run over something big and sharp, all the air is returned to it's natural habitat, and then the sidewall starts to melt. It's how you cook a tire with one simple ingredient (a piece of scrap metal)

Back