New To Me...a car I never wanted.

I found some new air shocks...how do I know if the air pump motor is working? Would it be throwing a code if it weren't?

Sorry about your mom.
My experience with P0420’s in various cars is the rear oxygen sensor gets lazy and the computer thinks the cat isn’t working. I’ve spent the $50 or so dollars on a new sensor and fixed it.
YMMV

Didn't realize this was such a common scenario. I sold my beloved 1984 Caprice I bought new,

LRear.jpg

to take my Mom's last car (2019). It only had 13K miles on it. Figured the new one would be better for me going into retirement/disability. No illusions that is won't be a cheap to keep. Easier for me to get in and out of with a fused neck and back.
Yukon.jpg

I've killed and damaged 3 transmissions doing that...Infiniti (catastrophic), Chrysler (Tq converter judder), and Ford (catastrophic).
No you haven't. It is a misperception. The transmissions were killed before your fluid change. The logic isn't there.... you are suggesting that old, depleted, filthy trans fluid is better and more protective than new, clean fluid. The fact is that trans fluid has a long life, and is ignored. The transmissions suffer from that and wear out.... or maybe they just wear out. Either way, it isn't new fluid that takes them out. I know that this goes in the face of oldtimers' folklore, but the bottom line is that maintenance is always good. Trans fluid is a maintenance item.

No you haven't. It is a misperception. The transmissions were killed before your fluid change. The logic isn't there.... you are suggesting that old, depleted, filthy trans fluid is better and more protective than new, clean fluid. The fact is that trans fluid has a long life, and is ignored. The transmissions suffer from that and wear out.... or maybe they just wear out. Either way, it isn't new fluid that takes them out. I know that this goes in the face of oldtimers' folklore, but the bottom line is that maintenance is always good. Trans fluid is a maintenance item.
Thats what Infiniti said right before trying to bill me $5k for a new transmission. One that shifted fine before the drain and fill and then had clutch and tq converter lockup failure.

Sorry about your mum

Not sure I would hang onto a car with the emotional baggage and find a good person for it.
Ive been driving it for the past few days. Driving it doesn't make me feel sad. Im not overly protective of it. I don't feel bad driving it in any way. It was an important part of her life that I am happy to preserve sensibly (I wont be rebuilding the motor, for example), and its worth more to me functionally than monetarily.

Thats what Infiniti said right before trying to bill me $5k for a new transmission. One that shifted fine before the drain and fill and then had clutch and tq converter lockup failure.
What fluid did they put in there?

If new fluid of the correct type made problems show up, it was already broken you just didn't know it yet.

What fluid did they put in there?

If new fluid of the correct type made problems show up, it was already broken you just didn't know it yet.
A few transmissions ago, Id have agreed. Ive had enough inconvenience from that belief not to hold it further. I thought that way after the first one I killed like that. Then even after the Infiniti. But after the Jeep at 68k miles, I finally bowed to old school thinking, here---if the fluid is good, dont mess with it. If its burnt...don't mess with it. So basically change every 30k or so...or never.

I had a 96 Park Avenue that was my grandparents.had 120k on it when I got it. Replaced sway bar endlinks and shocks all around. Rears were replaced with non air ride for cheapness. Tranny had a shift problem, can’t remember what it was. Dex 3 was brown colored of course. Did a pan service with Max Life and had no issues after that. I sold it after a few years and saw around town daily for another couple years.

I am sorry for the loss of your Mom. I also applaud you for keeping the car and for keeping it on the road.

There is a phenomenon now happening in the U.S. as a result of so many elderly drivers passing on.....and that is so many of their former rides are ending up as saleable vehicles on the salvage yard sale lots. My guess is that this is what happens when a family member inherits a high mileage or older vehicle that they just don't want or unwilling to try to sell themselves. As a last resort, they call the local salvage yard to come get it and they take whatever is offered to them.

I have seen many vehicles at yards, that are perfectly running and driving candidates and are too nice to either part out, or have too much value as whole saleable units. So if you are looking for a vehicle in this category, don't overlook these potential recycled rides.
That's sort of how I got my C-10. Nobody died for it to pass into my hands thankfully, but...well, my paternal grandfather bought it brand new, then gave it to his son/my dad in the late 70s. He drove it until 1987(I still have the registration from that year + his fuel logbook as they were still in the glovebox by the time I got the truck!) at which point he gave it to his sister. They used it sporadically, then in 2003 just sorta shoved it into a garage on account of not needing it anymore. Come 2024 they want to sell that property, so they were trying to figure out what to do with the ol' truck.

They entertained rolling it into the yard and dealing with tirekickers, scrapping it...then heard I had a desire for a vintage auto, so they offered it to me. Of course I accepted and, hey presto, my next daily just fell into my lap.

'Course my situation also differs from what you posited in that I'm beyond overjoyed to have the thing, but yeah.

Back