New to me 2006 Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 2006 Camry XLE v6 for my son who is going through some rough times. Car was driven by an elderly woman who can no longer drive. She was the original owner. No accidents. 24K miles. Oil changed every 3k miles. All documentation and maintenance records.

Anything I should be concerned about? I will be checking the tires to see how old they are. Your thoughts.

I would swap out the pcv valve. That's very low mileage. Wondering if it's had only 8 oil changes since 2006.

What about the rest of the fluids? Coolant and transmission to start with?

Originally Posted by JC1
I would swap out the pcv valve. That's very low mileage. Wondering if it's had only 8 oil changes since 2006.

What about the rest of the fluids? Coolant and transmission to start with?

I will be taking delivery of the car tonight for an extended test drive. Our families are close. Will be better able to review the records.

With reasonable maint it will run for a long time.

Check the air filter, cabin air filter and spare tire area for mouse nests if it was not driven very much.

Rust can still be an issue.

Look at the rotors for rust spots that have "hardened" into the rotor. They can happen if the car is not driven for several months.

Most of the fluids will have aged out.
Change them based on time here instead of mileage.
I believe this is the last year for the 1MZ-FE.
These were know for sludge in the early years but the issues were worked out by this late date.
You may also want to look at doing the timing belt.
It should run $800+ unless you want to tackle it yourself.

Check if oil leaks from valve cover gasket, check coolant, check xmission fluid, check brake pads/rotors, check suspension, check steering. However, sounds like a sweet deal!

What a find - your son will have it for a long time trouble freel!!
Change the engine oil, replace PCV, replace PSF and check the ATF.

Yes the timing belt and pump is a must as Critic mentioned although when it was replaced on mine at 140K, it looked like new.
The belt may be rated for 250K but Toyota expects it replaced 10yr/120K. That is a $1200 job

Turns out it does have the 3.0 L engine with a belt not the 3.3 L with a chain.
I will be able to further review all previous maintenance records this evening and keep you updated.
thanks all!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MajorCavalry
I will be able to further review all previous maintenance records this evening and keep you updated.
thanks all!!

The 3.0 and 3.3 have timing belts. The 3.5L (2GR-FE) has the chain.

Was going by this Toyota customer help sheet.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

Late 2006 v6 and 2007 v6 on got the 3.3 L engine
In 2007 it is listed as having a chain. What i went by.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by MajorCavalry
thanks all!!

The 3.0 and 3.3 have timing belts. The 3.5L (2GR-FE) has the chain.

The 3.0 without vvti is non interference design. The 3.3 is and interference design.

When I had my 98 Sienna I changed the timing belt myself at 197,xxx km (122,xxx miles) in 2010. All markings were worn off the belt, but no rips or fraying on the belt. You can probably leave the belt until summer time.

Not sure if you have ever done a timing belt. With this motor you need to do your homework first on stuff that will be a pain to access and or remove to get everything off. There are a few bolts that sieze over time into different brackets etc. This is not a job you want to rush through.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Yes the timing belt and pump is a must as Critic mentioned although when it was replaced on mine at 140K, it looked like new.
The belt may be rated for 250K but Toyota expects it replaced 10yr/120K. That is a $1200 job

Calls for 3 hours to do the Timing Belt & Water Pump, 3.4 hours if the shop wants to charge for swapping the Temsioner & Idler pulleys.

*$340 for labor.
*Aisin TB kit (TKT-026) cost under $200, Lets say the shop gouges & charges $400.
*$25 for coolant.

$775 out the door.....And that's on the HIGH end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back