New to Me 2006 Sentra 1.8

Putzing around with this car today. The sump is just about 3 quarts. I dropped 9oz Mystery Oil (call me old school) in the crankcase and had about 450 miles on it with the MMO when I changed the oil today. I did see the TINY oil filter was located behind the engine. I can't say it was a pain, it wasn't. It did cause me to get ramps out. Haven't had to do that since my 08 BMW. Made we wonder what if any is the benefit to the oil filter located where is is in the back of the engine? Not complaining too much just curious. If you know of a reason I'd love to hear the logic.

I also drained the radiator. Was very happy no animal before me broke the plastic drain plug. Nice easy butterfly and drained like I knew what I was doing. Filled with Pentafrost A2 and distilled water.

Plugs and PCV come in over the next few days.

Try a PH3985 size if you want some extra oil volume. If you need an application for cross reference, a 1989 Eagle Premier works. It's a good bit bigger than a PH7317, about the size of a PH16 or PH2 if you're familiar with those filters. The gasket size and bypass rating are nearly identical. It won't fit on my Nissan as it hits the oil pan flange, but I've used it successfully on a bunch of vehicles that spec a PH6607/PH7317 sized filter. Good way to add some extra oil volume on cars with tiny sumps.

Made we wonder what if any is the benefit to the oil filter located where is is in the back of the engine? Not complaining too much just curious. If you know of a reason I'd love to hear the logic.
Because that is where the oil pump is located.

Try a PH3985 size if you want some extra oil volume. If you need an application for cross reference, a 1989 Eagle Premier works. It's a good bit bigger than a PH7317, about the size of a PH16 or PH2 if you're familiar with those filters. The gasket size and bypass rating are nearly identical. It won't fit on my Nissan as it hits the oil pan flange, but I've used it successfully on a bunch of vehicles that spec a PH6607/PH7317 sized filter. Good way to add some extra oil volume on cars with tiny sumps.

PH16 is substantiall bigger than the 6607 that is on there now!! I'll check into that, THANKS!

Question on the 5speed manual transmission. I do not have a knowledge base on the manual transmission. Last stick I had was about 28 years ago when I had a 1983 Z28 LU5 305. I don't have a memory of changing the gear box fluid.

To the point: If this were an automatic transmission at 160k and no issues I'd not touch it. Am I correct to believe totally different animal in the manual transmission? No worry on a drain and fill with the manual transmission at 160k?

Can't complain about the price. Actually like these better than the 2007+ generation.
I prefer the the B15 as well for the automatic over the CVT B16s, but no. The B15 feels like junk in comparison the 2007+, chassis feels loose and cheap while the 2007+ is more solid.

Back