New-to-me 1985 F250 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states, I just picked up a 1985 F250 Explorer 4x4 with the 460 carbureted engine. Truck is in pretty good condition despite its age.. Given that most are in the scrapyard by now, someone must have taken reasonably good care of it to last this long.

Odometer reads 99k, and truck was advertised that way, but I'm still on the fence regarding a rollover. A VIN check shows the truck at 82k in 2002, but that's the only recorded mileage.. It's hard to believe it'd only racked up 15k in 11 years, but who knows. The factory upholstered seat is in great condition, the interior is near mint (aside from some sun damage to the top of the passenger door panel), so perhaps it does have less than 100k. When I drove it, I couldn't pass it up, and offered $1,800 despite the $2,200 asking price.

I'm curious what you all would use for oil. I live in Southern Colorado, so it's not unusual to hit 0 several nights in a given winter, or 100+ in summer. There is a slow oil leak which I suspect is the rear main.

Any other maintenance items I should tackle right off after purchasing this?

Anyways, here's some pics. Open to info, suggestions, comments, etc.!

75219023.jpg

36429750.jpg

30803303.jpg

A 460 with a manual trans!?! Wow...that's a basic (and sturdy) truck...

Oil recommendation: I'll bet it called for a 10W40. If you want something year 'round...I would use the Shell Rotella T6 5W40...cheap, available, good cold weather starts, and fits the -40 recommendation...

I would use what is called for which will either be a 5W30 or 10W30 (I would assume). Amsoil website will have some info.

Check the transmission, diffs and transfer case for being full. You can change them at your leisure.

Do a couple of drain & fills of the coolant. I would go to G-05 even if it came with old green.

Believe only 1/2 of what the prior owner said about maint.

Does the odometer still move? Or stuck at 99K?

What kind of mileage MPG or GPM?

Last edited:
To deal with the slow seal leak, I'd use a HM 10W-30 or 10W-40...Maxlife, M1, QS Defy...all good ones....

Another recommendation is a HM 10W40. Maybe you can slow down the leaking a bit I would normally recommend a 30 grade but who knows how bad fuel dilution will be.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would use what is called for which will either be a 5W30 or 10W30 (I would assume). Amsoil website will have some info.

Check the transmission, diffs and transfer case for being full. You can change them at your leisure.

Do a couple of drain & fills of the coolant. I would go to G-05 even if it came with old green.

Believe only 1/2 of what the prior owner said about maint.

Does the odometer still move? Or stuck at 99K?

What kind of mileage?

....uuummm....did you miss the stickshift in the pic???

MAN!!! Big block w/ manual?!?!

I would buy it in a heartbeat. What a great tow rig!

I would probably run Defy 5W30 year round and call it a day.

Nice catch! that thing is so deliciously 80's it hurts! I esp. love the "XLT" badge in the dash, did they really see the need to remind the passenger and driver that they are piloting an "XLT" model truck? Was knowing the trim package of your vehicle at all times very important info for the driver back then?

10w30. I'm pretty sure it was the standard grade to use back then, in cars and trucks.

Oops, forgot to mention the transmission. Yes, it's a stick, unfortunately only a 4 speed. Must have a high axle ratio, because at 70mph that motor is turning FAST. Will be installing a tach at some point.

Trans should be a Warner t19. I had a terrible time finding the correct lube for mine. Went with a redline product as amsoil did not recomend any of their products for it. Funny my old 73 recomends sae40 in the same trans. I'm not happy with the redline stuff as it won't let the synchronizers work. I'm gunna go to sae 40 in mine and see what happens.

Plan on 7-8mpg with that setup. 8 if it has 3.55 gears and 7 with 4.10s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Trans should be a Warner t19. I had a terrible time finding the correct lube for mine. Went with a redline product as amsoil did not recomend any of their products for it. Funny my old 73 recomends sae40 in the same trans. I'm not happy with the redline stuff as it won't let the synchronizers work. I'm gunna go to sae 40 in mine and see what happens.

Plan on 7-8mpg with that setup. 8 if it has 3.55 gears and 7 with 4.10s

What redline product isn't working for you? I'm using MT-90 in my zf5 and it's the best shift feel I have found so far. perfect for making the syncros work. Why they want me to use ATF in it, I haven't the slightest.

Nice truck!

It was not uncommon for the oil pans to get a little loose as the gaskets shrunk...I'd make sure the pan bolts are snug and see if that leak dries up.

also check the passenger side exhaust manifold bolts. Those 460's go forever. The only thing that will kill one is overheating. Keep the radiator flushed and fresh fluid and watch gauges if towing. I'm running Mobil One 10w-30 high mileage in mine. Also you can get the axle code off the drivers side door. I can look it up.

One of my customers has an '87 crew cab long bed just like yours, although not as nice-he swears he has gotten 15 MPG on the highway with it-I don't believe him, but the truck could pull a house!

Here's the sticker off the door pillar. Any helpful info that can be deciphered from the codes or VIN would be most appreciated.

20130525125840.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back