New to GDI engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2014 soul 1.6l GDI 4cyl..

I noticed that the oil gets very dark in less than 1000 miles. This car is driven mostly for errands and my wife's 5 mile commute to work. What kind of OCI should I run with full synthetic oil? The manual has upwards of 7k and a severe service of 3750.

My reco is to go PYB 5W-30, use OEM Hyundai filter, change at 3,750 miles.
I run a 2013 Sonata 2.4L. Dino 5W-30 in the summer and synthetic 5W-20 in the winter for cold start flow.

Run a top of the line name brand syn in the 5w30 flavor and change at the severe interval. Use the fram ultra filter and leave it on for 2 to 3 oil changes. Overkill yeah most likely but who cares. Or you can use any sn oil and cheapo filter and the car will still most likely live a very long time. Its up to u. If you can afford the better oils and filters and it makes u feel better then do that but if cash is a problem then go with the later.

I heard the Hyundai filters are garbage . Built like a tank but basically catches big rocks only.

I also know Hyundai had a tsb on after market filters . They say the engine gets a bad tick with some after market oil filters. Ive used m1 and fram ultra and pur 1 and pur 1 syn filters with no problem. So that's up too u.

The Hyundai TSB about oil filters is a sales gimmick. Doesn't really say anything specific.

My wife and I have two vehicles with GDI engines. Check your owners manual and look at the oil filler cap for the recommended oil weights.

Change oil at 3,750 miles (severe service). Short trips with GDI vehicles are hard on oil.

My wife and I have had 7 KIA/Hyundai vehicles over the years and based on experience and a lot of recommendations on the Internet our vehicles see the use of OEM filters only.

Wife and I buy our oil at Wal-Mart (Synthetic) and take it to the dealer for service.

My recommendation is first, make sure whatever oil you use meets the specifications in the manual. Second, the type of use you stated should actually be considered hard use and I would use the short change interval. I try to take our DI car out on the highway to blow it out a little once a month to get the oil up to temp.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
I heard the Hyundai filters are garbage . Built like a tank but basically catches big rocks only.

According to Hyundai, their filter is at 99%+ doing the industry standard testing that all filter manufacturers use. Hardly garbage. Not bad on price at 7 bucks at my local dealer.

As posted in a different post, the TSB regarding engine noise due to aftermarket is not a gimmick, but does not disclose the offending filters. I'm convinced that those offending filters are private label junk $1.99 filters that miss the rocks. Use Hyundai's filter, or use a quality name brand like Mobil, Purolater, Wix, Napa Gold, Fram TG or Ultra, and others, and you won't have any issues. Leave the cheap $2 filters alone.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt

Where was this 'heard'? Any technical literature to support it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Car specs for 5w20 API SM

I tried a fram ultra before and the car was made weird noises when the variable valve timing would adjust. This one has variable valve timing on both cams, so I will stick to OEM filters. Plus I pass a kia dealership both ways commuting to work.

So you guys would recommend the 5w30 over the 5w20? Manual has those 2 for all temps and 10w30 32F and up.

5w20 will be fine but feel free to go with either 5w30 or 10w30 if the manual shows this as an option. There's too much bickering on here concerning thin vs thick oil. As for oil choice, any API SN/GF-5 5w20 etc, will already be an upgrade from what our manuals recommend (SM). I would keep the oci conservative since you advise this is a short tripper daily driver.

2010 2.4L Hyundai. Was running 5w-20 winter, 5w-30 non-winter.
PP except a couple OC's using Kendall, but hard to find OTC.
Next fill (coming this week) PYB because it was all the local AZ had on hand in Penzoil in 5w-30.
OEM filters.
Still doing 5k OCIs

Someone on hear a few months ago posted the numbers on the Hyundai oil filters and it wasn't very good. Basically a rock catcher but built like a tank. So I guess if a rock hits the filter your safe but filters like a kn air filter.

Originally Posted By: daemontrym
Car specs for 5w20 API SM

I tried a fram ultra before and the car was made weird noises when the variable valve timing would adjust. This one has variable valve timing on both cams, so I will stick to OEM filters. Plus I pass a kia dealership both ways commuting to work.

So you guys would recommend the 5w30 over the 5w20? Manual has those 2 for all temps and 10w30 32F and up.

You can find Hyundai/Kia Filters on EBay for between $3.50 and $4.00 each by buying 10 each of them.

No problem with aftermarket filters. Most brands already have specific PNs for HyundaiKia.

5k full synth oil changes with any current spec name brand oil.

GDI... Gasoline Disposable engine Injection!

Stick with top tier fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back