New to forum, looking for advice 2011 Camry OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: infecto
The funny part after all this bickering is that if you just went 10k with synthetic there would no problems.

0W-20 is synthetic.

But there is the question if 0W-20 (synthetic) lasts as long as 5W-30 synthetic. GM went with 5W-30 for dexos1 in order to have long drain intervals.

Yes I realize. My point is after all this bickering if you just followed the manufacturers OCI the engine would most likely be fine.

i would just change myself every 7k and so what if i pay $22 for syn and a filter

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: infecto
The funny part after all this bickering is that if you just went 10k with synthetic there would no problems.

0W-20 is synthetic.

But there is the question if 0W-20 (synthetic) lasts as long as 5W-30 synthetic. GM went with 5W-30 for dexos1 in order to have long drain intervals.

I thought GM went with 5w30 because they are going to put 1.4L turbo engines in a lot of their cars

Free maintenance?? They should just call it free abuse. I can see the TV/newspaper ad in my head, "Buy now and we'll toss in 2 years of free negligence on any new vehicle purchased".

0w20 is Toyota's new 10k OCI oil. Its a good oil. And, their sump sizes seem to have grown a little. Oil cooling is pretty much standard too. But, don't forget that OCI is time or mileage based, whichever comes 1st. And, your driving style has much to do with it. Whats your owners manual say for severe service vs regular service?

On any new car vehicle purchase, you adjust your maintenance intervals for your intended usage.
Will you replace it in 2 year or 20?
Do you want normal long term issues that some think is acceptable, or do you want to prevent them?
Can you change your own oil, or are you dependent on quicklube or dealer?

I would've changed the factory fill out early. And, I'd keep the OCI at 5k-7.5k intervals depending on driving style. If you want to go further, prove it to yourself with a UOA. Check and top off the oil every 1k miles and adjust depending on consumption.

The 2.5L is a new engine. Not much is known(give it 5-7 years to be labeled a lemon). The 3.5L has had its share of teething problems.

All 0w20's are great oils and usually full synthetic. Toyota, Honda, Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Redline, Amsoil, Eneos.... are readily available. In an emergency, you can top off with any 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30 weight full synthetic, preferably in that order. Being a pint is bad but usually no big deal. Being a quart low is worse and will lead to all those timing chain, vvt, sludge/crud issues that seem to be common.

Don't forget to keep an eye on your transmission fluid, the antifreeze, power steering fluid, brake fluid... and all other fluids and filters. The intervals are either none(wait 'til failure), or usually excessive. Adapt them for your intended ownership's purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back