New Tire Confusion

I have a 2018 Camry LE, the tire size is: 215/55R/17 94V.
I live in Connecticut, but I never drive in the snow anymore. Being recently retired, I just wait for the snow storm to end.

We are planning on doing quite a bit of long highway driving all around the Country.
Would like a tire that will give me a Smooth and Quiet ride, especially for highway driving.

I was looking at the Conti True Contact’s and Michelin Defender 2’s, but they are only offered in a H speed rating not V for my tire size.

I was told the H rating would be too soft and squishy for my Camry’s suspension and I need to stay with a V speed rated tire for my car. Is this true?

I’m strongly considering getting the Conti Pure Contact LS, they come in a V speed rated tire. Tire Rack testing has them ahead of the CC2’s in wet driving. Consumer Reports has the Pure Contact LS rated number 1 on their Grand Touring list for 2024.

Also been looking at the Cross Climate 2’s, but have been getting concerned about them, mostly because of all the noise issues that I’ve read about online. Tire Rack reviews have quite a few talking about the noise. I don’t like noise, I’m old now lol.

Do you have any suggestions? Am I going down the right path in my research?
I’m willing to spend the money on quality tires.
New guy here and Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
In the past I too have went to a H rated tire from a V on my 2007 Honda Accord SE and did not notice any issues..but a better ride..My current 2021 Honda HRV Sport has 225/50/18 V rated tires...When the time comes for new tires I will go with a H rated tire... Even Tirerack says you can change a speed ration by one with no issues...unless you are racing all the time...:D

Imho opinion most cars aren’t going to exceed 130 mph anyway, which is what the H speed rating is representative of. At the same time, if the car came with V rated tires, I’d keep it on a replacement, just as we don’t want to have a lower load rating than what came with. I only have one car that goes 150 mph limited by the car, so it really shouldn’t have H or V in theory. But I’ve only done 140 mph one time in 17 years. Still, on that one it should have a W rated tire.

Again all self reported…my $85 Rydanz were W rated. I doubt they could have sustained 168 mph…then again they were on a car limited to 130 and I doubt I’ve ever even went more than 95 mph

I quit Michelin tires several years ago due to many issues I consistently had with them. I now use only Continental tires on all of my vehicles. Excellent choice.

I wonder if a tire shop would be willing to put on lower rating tires, due to liability concerns on their part.

Think we have Conti's on our Camry and they seem fine, no complaints, but hey, we're driving a Camry. :) My Corolla came with Toyo Celsus(?) and they seem fine too, although this car is just simply loud on the highway. Usually I go for General RT43's but these have been good enough that I might look at these when it comes time to replace.

I suspect a "loud" tire has to be really loud on a Camry to be a problem. Lots of sound deadner. I'd be willing to gamble a bit here, just because a review says it's a bit louder doesn't mean it will be for you.

I wonder if a tire shop would be willing to put on lower rating tires, due to liability concerns on their part.

Think we have Conti's on our Camry and they seem fine, no complaints, but hey, we're driving a Camry. :) My Corolla came with Toyo Celsus(?) and they seem fine too, although this car is just simply loud on the highway. Usually I go for General RT43's but these have been good enough that I might look at these when it comes time to replace.

I suspect a "loud" tire has to be really loud on a Camry to be a problem. Lots of sound deadner. I'd be willing to gamble a bit here, just because a review says it's a bit louder doesn't mean it will be for you.

Which Conti’s do you have on your Camry?
Thanks

Squash the research with CR. TireRack tests (not reviews) is the right path for research.

General AltiMAX RT45 - good tire but not for noise
Hankook Kinergy PT - good tire including for noise
Cooper Endeavor - good tire but not as good as the Hankook for noise

I have a set of Cooper Endeavor in 18" on our '23 Camry and by far they are quieter than the Hankook Kinergy's that were on there. Also far better traction. Not to mention way less in cost.

Last edited:
I would also consider the age of the vehicle although to me 2018 is relatively newer….I went on tire rack (it returns all V rated) and there was a Hankook that was more affordable than others. I mean tires are expensive nowadays. $150-$250 for “normal” cars (not 911s and M3s). Amazing how the wide tires on nice German SUVs can be $600 and some of them are not even high performance just wide 😂

I have the TrueContact Tours a few weeks ago on my cx5. They're 'notably' quieter and comfortable than the Pirellis they replaced. I too drive across the country often so I can let you know how they are in a week or two after a trip down to my mom's house 9 hours away (comfort and noise was my priority with this set.)

For what it's worth, my sister has it on her Q5 too and she hasn't had an issue in the Minnesota winters either and she drives like a typical Chicagoan.

Do you have any feedback between the True Contact vs the Pure Contact?
I have used the True Contacts on my SantaFe. Nice tire.....never used pure contacts. The best performing have been the Extreme Contacts which I used on my sportier car. Very high performing and grippy but due to the sport compound used only get about 35K out of them.

I just talked to a guy from one of the bigger local tire shops in my area and he said it’s no problem putting speed rated H tires on a V rated Camry.
He said you will never reach the H rated speeds, so it’s really not a concern.

Back