New Telluride - Mobil 1 HM?

Yes, this here - if we are talking an otherwise equivalent oil with slightly more additives and the same price, why aren't we using HM oil all the time in everything? That's always confused me. I would understand if the HM version of an oil didn't come with the same API or ACEA specifications. But in this case it still has the same specifications, so it must not have too little or too much of a certain ingredient in order to stay within specs. VOAs and UOAs do NOT tell us the whole story, but they at least tell us there something different between the normal and HM formulations. So if HM has more of the good stuff why not always buy that if it's the same price anyway?

Probably, (and most likely) the answer is the additional additives don't make a lick of difference in the long run and it's just a way to get more shelf space or cater to more potential buyers. I don't subscribe to the theory that a HM oil will make any engine last longer, BUT at least in my experience, they can sometimes slow an oil seep or help curb consumption. Maybe the key there is a slightly thicker viscosity? In which case, stepping up a grade would likely accomplish the same thing? 🤷‍♂️
Well Sir. its been a while since you posted anything. Hope you are well, but how is the new Telluride and what oil did you run and how did it affect mileage and performance?
Thank you - Ken

I'd pass on the HM oil. My Mobil 1 favorite is ESP. In your new ride, Mobil 1 EP 5w30 would be a great choice IMO.
EP or if you want the best M1 offers ESP and keep OCIs between 5000 and 6000 miles. Also if it were me, I'd use ethanol free gas, don't know if you have it in your area or not but I like corn on my table not blended into my gasoline.

EP or if you want the best M1 offers ESP and keep OCIs between 5000 and 6000 miles. Also if it were me, I'd use ethanol free gas, don't know if you have it in your area or not but I like corn on my table not blended into my gasoline.
Tough to get ethanol free gas here. But as I've said more than once here, ESP is the best of the XOM offerings imo. I see I left out the word too at the very end of my earlier post: In your new ride, Mobil 1 EP 5w30 would be a great choice [TOO] IMO.

Tough to get ethanol free gas here. But as I've said more than once here, ESP is the best of the XOM offerings imo. I see I left out the word too at the very end of my earlier post: In your new ride, Mobil 1 EP 5w30 would be a great choice [TOO] IMO.
Don’t forget that with ESP you are getting basically light W40 oil. ESP’s HTHS is dramatic departure from A5.

Nice car. I've been considering getting one for a bit now. Will probably get one in the next couple of years once the kids are out of the "make a mess in everything stage."

So, the kids are about to graduate from college soon? Congrats!

Thought I would post back here. Only 2,500 miles on the Telluride so far - still not sure what I will do long term but forgot I had several quarts of Amsoil XL in the stash so I’m going to use that for the first change. After that’s used up, then I don’t know - I’ll probably just buy two of the Havoline ProDS Smart Boxes and then it’s a perfect amount for both the KIA and the truck and let the truck leak.

As far as the KIA goes - we love it! The fit and finish are great, it’s comfortable for us, and hopefully won’t give us any drama throughout our years of ownership. Glad we bought when we did, these things are really hard to find in this area and they are now selling for well over MSRP.

I especially love the auto/start stop DISABLE button. I first started out not minding the auto start/stop - it seemed pretty seamless enough. Then I was sitting at a stop sign waiting for a gap in the traffic to jet out and merge. Hit the gas - hesitation - then goes. Don’t like that. I also don’t know how the starting system would handle twice the amount (or more) wear with all the starting. I guess the car manufacturers must have thought that through somehow. I must be getting old - get off my lawn!!!

Thought I would post back here. Only 2,500 miles on the Telluride so far - still not sure what I will do long term but forgot I had several quarts of Amsoil XL in the stash so I’m going to use that for the first change. After that’s used up, then I don’t know - I’ll probably just buy two of the Havoline ProDS Smart Boxes and then it’s a perfect amount for both the KIA and the truck and let the truck leak.

As far as the KIA goes - we love it! The fit and finish are great, it’s comfortable for us, and hopefully won’t give us any drama throughout our years of ownership. Glad we bought when we did, these things are really hard to find in this area and they are now selling for well over MSRP.

I especially love the auto/start stop DISABLE button. I first started out not minding the auto start/stop - it seemed pretty seamless enough. Then I was sitting at a stop sign waiting for a gap in the traffic to jet out and merge. Hit the gas - hesitation - then goes. Don’t like that. I also don’t know how the starting system would handle twice the amount (or more) wear with all the starting. I guess the car manufacturers must have thought that through somehow. I must be getting old - get off my lawn!!!
The start/ stop systems are different than your traditional starters than otherwise would just turn over a motor when you first start a vehicle.

I especially love the auto/start stop DISABLE button. I first started out not minding the auto start/stop - it seemed pretty seamless enough. Then I was sitting at a stop sign waiting for a gap in the traffic to jet out and merge. Hit the gas - hesitation - then goes. Don’t like that.I must be getting old - get off my lawn!!!
Yup.

Back