New Tacoma V6 Break-in and LSPI

In genereal the ECU should easily be able to handle E20 without having fuel volume issues that would create a lean running condition....I do it in mine and it's tuned for 93 and beat on it with E20+.

There is a lot of pre-ign vs. det (knock) confusion in this thread.

I agree that ramping up timing on a NA engine to gain a bit of power isn't giving you much...we have a NA tune on my son's Focus and run 93 in it now.
Yeah, the power increase is not a lot but definitely notable, particularly in the lower to mid rpm. I don’t have a lot of info pre-tune but bumping up the timing and adjusting the vvti settings is most of what OTT does to my knowledge. Definitely makes the truck feel a lot better. They don’t adjust fuel mapping, unfortunately. I get why though. The throttle mapping is a dog from the factory on the AT’s. These adjustments make a huge difference. Plus the shifting is more determined, less hunting.

Last edited:
Example of a much smoother idle after 200 miles being treated by Cera Tec:

Cold start after Cera Tek:

How not to break-in an engine 😂😏

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Pre-ignition and spark knock are synonymous. I think you're referring to LSPI
They are quite different. Pre-ignition is when the mix ignites prior to the spark. Bad. Knock/det is when the mix combusts with the spark but there are more than one ignition point/inefficient combustion.

Not under WOT. Typically maxes is out around 31 depending on the gear.
NA is so funny...tuned boosted...I see 14.5 max at redline and my tune is spicy...most max out around 6...my tune runs more conservative boost.

NA is so funny...tuned boosted...I see 14.5 max at redline and my tune is spicy...most max out around 6...my tune runs more conservative boost.
lol, tell me about it. I have the JB4 on the Tucon Hybrid as it’s the only option. Piggyback but a great device. Timing is maxed at 7 degrees on this motor, lol.

On the Stinger, 3.3, 15.5 was max factory. Lap 3 2.5+ pushed it up 22 degrees.

In genereal the ECU should easily be able to handle E20 without having fuel volume issues that would create a lean running condition....I do it in mine and it's tuned for 93 and beat on it with E20+.

There is a lot of pre-ign vs. det (knock) confusion in this thread.

I agree that ramping up timing on a NA engine to gain a bit of power isn't giving you much...we have a NA tune on my son's Focus and run 93 in it now.
If this is true, and it’s “post-ignition,” then I would presume that OP’s choice of 95+ octane fuel could be causing the incomplete burn.

Counter-intuitively, reducing octane may resolve it.

They are quite different. Pre-ignition is when the mix ignites prior to the spark. Bad. Knock/det is when the mix combusts with the spark but there are more than one ignition point/inefficient combustion.

Yeah, but that’s not detonation either. Detonation is ignition via a shock wave and that is also typically catastrophic.

Let me put it this way, I see my knock feedback generally stay between -2.1 to -3.0. If I’m “lugging” or light on the throttle during initial acceleration generally see in the -4’s on the feedback just until I get up to 2200 rpm’s or so. I see the KCLV fluctuate from 27’s to 31 consistently, after the tune. Up and down consistently. Before the tune they pretty much stayed at 29 - 30. I don’t know how much these values are really affecting timing advance after the tune because timing stays high no matter what, it seems. Hot IAT’s do have a bit of an effect on knock feedback. I heard from a trusted source that you won’t hear the knock on this platform until 6 and 7’s which I have never seen. I have never run anything lower than 93 after the dealer fill and I did not have my logger at that point.

I’m not great at reading this chart but it seems to me timing and knock are very minimal. I could also be beating a dead horse because I’ve also been told it’s pretty pointless to pay attention to knock and timing unless you are WOT.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Let me put it this way, I see my knock feedback generally stay between -2.1 to -3.0. If I’m “lugging” or light on the throttle during initial acceleration generally see in the -4’s on the feedback just until I get up to 2200 rpm’s or so. I see the KCFL fluctuate from 27’s to 31 consistently, after the tune. Up and down consistently. Before the tune they pretty much stayed at 29 - 30. I don’t know how much these values are really affect timing advance after the tune because timing stays high no matter what, it seems. Hot IAT’s do have a bit of an effect on knock feedback. I heard from a trusted source that you won’t hear the knock on the platform until 6 and 7’s which I have never seen. I have never run any lower than 93 after the dealer fill.
Try 93 or 91 and see what happens. For science.

LSPI is generally catastrophic. You’re seeing regular old pre-ignition which is caused by other issues, not the oil. Knock sensors are not for detecting LSPI, it’s far more complicated.
Yup and yup.
LSPI will toast an engine fairly quickly.

I wouldn't blame them if they did. A new vehicle with 1,200 miles on it with a tune, an oil additive, and the wrong fuel, all spells trouble to me.
lol, actually the truck runs better than new. I think you are missing a lot of this thread. Tuned the truck runs much better than factory. Timing is also not set in stone. It adjust depending on fuel quality.

Last edited:
Back