New Tacoma V6 Break-in and LSPI

I would say its more reliable than the competition, but the FKS is less reliable than the FE from the previous gen tacoma. There are plenty of people whose engines overheated and threw a rod out the side of the block in the FKS and that is because it was designed to be "more efficient" by being lighter, cheaper, and all the other eco friendly things compared to the old school version of the 2GR. Heck, its miles worse than the old 1GR in terms of longevity.

Yep, that's why I specifically stated "percieved reliability" because I do agree these trucks are not as good as they used to be. Still good, I'm not saying they are unreliable, but not the same as the prior gens.

Who told you that E20 “is fine”?

Toyota says differently. This is your owners manual. Up to E15. DO NOT use any flex-fuel or gasoline that could contain more than 15% ethanol...

View attachment 176035
You’re not going to fix this with oil selection. The problem isn’t in your oil.

You’ve got an engine for which some knocking is normal (also, in your owners manual).

Then you tuned it.

Then you run on something that Toyota tells you not to use.
I’ve spoken to multiple tuners and I monitor both O2 sensors. I log to see how she runs. The extra octane produced the maximum timing. She does not lean out and the fuel pump handles it without any issues. There is a good amount of misinformation in the owners manual to be honest.

Last edited:
Issue isn't really if tuning a new car is good or bad. I tune my honda's right from the dealer. But this isn't a K motor, nor is it a 2ar or a 1zz or a 2j or a b series. Its a very delicate, highly strung, half atkison cycle, efficiency focused revision of the 2GR which granted, is a strong motor...was a strong motor.

Edit, the ceratec probably didn't help. The reason this engine doesn't have a smooth idle, is because it’s part of the D4S system, it’s by design lol.
Cera Tec significantly improved the idle and minor improvement in MPG, no effect on minor tip-in knock. I’m a big fan of the product and have been using it in every motor I’ve owned for the past 8 years. Definitely improved cold start clatter to boot.

Last edited:
The OTT tune in this truck is very much worth the $400. It about a 18 hp boost, which is not a lot but the low and mid range power improvement is very notable. On top removing a lot of the throttle ramping and shifting characteristics. It also offers separate throttle mapping for ECT / towing mode. Best $400 mod I have ever done. They’ve been tuning these trucks for years with out anyone reporting engine problems. Not worried whatsoever.

Last edited:
I am probably the biggest toyota fan boy and even I wouldn't do this kind of stuff LOL. More power to you man.
Come back every 10k miles with an update (no lying ;) )
I get it, I’ve used it my twin turbo 3.3, 1.6t hybrid, Audi A8 3.0, optima hybrid, Outback 3.6, you name it. Always fantastic results. Take a moment and look at the 18k reviews on Amazon. Fantastic product.

LIQUI MOLY Oil Additive Cera Tec 3721 Ceramic Wear & Tear Protection for Petrol & Diesel Engines Smoother Engine Performance, Less Friction & Lower Fuel Consumption 300 ml https://a.co/d/fGYq81a

Cera Tec significantly improved the idle and minor improvement in MPG, no effect on minor tip-in knock. I’m a big fan of the product and have been using it in every motor I’ve owned for the past 8 years. Definitely improved cold start clatter to boot.
Idle? How would that work?

And you can't measure a minor improvement in MPG in the real world, at least not to attribute it to a specific variable such as this additive. It's simply not possible. Any one minor variable is deep in the noise.

I get it, I’ve used it my twin turbo 3.3, 1.6t hybrid, Audi A8 3.0, optima hybrid, Outback 3.6, you name it. Always fantastic results. Take a moment and look at the 18k reviews on Amazon. Fantastic product.

LIQUI MOLY Oil Additive Cera Tec 3721 Ceramic Wear & Tear Protection for Petrol & Diesel Engines Smoother Engine Performance, Less Friction & Lower Fuel Consumption 300 ml https://a.co/d/fGYq81a
Amazon reviews would probably be the last place I'd look for motor oil recommendations.

Idle? How would that work?

And you can't measure a minor improvement in MPG in the real world, at least not to attribute it to a specific variable such as this additive. It's simply not possible. Any one minor variable is deep in the noise.
Again, I can only comment on how the engine feels with vibrations, I can also see the rpms vary less and the engine is absolutely smother at idle. I can’t prove anything and don’t really care to but if you take a moment and read the 18k reviews that basically state the exact thing I’m saying, well, up to you if you want to believe it or not. All I can say is people that use the product rave about it, those that don’t have the same ole story.

Amazon reviews would probably be the last place I'd look for motor oil recommendations.
As mentioned, those that use the product rave about it, those that don’t have no clue. No offense. Even this test is a little flawed as it actually takes a few hundred miles to gain the full effect.

(note; PF video deleted ... we don't support junk science. If people want to watch that stuff, they know where to find it on YT. dnewton3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I can only comment on how the engine feels with vibrations, I can also see the rpms vary less and the engine is absolutely smother at idle. I can’t prove anything and don’t really care to but if you take a moment and read the 18k reviews that basically state the exact thing I’m saying, well, up to you if you want to believe it or not. All I can say is people that use the product rave about it, those that don’t have the same ole story.
Oh and a $30 spectrographic analysis doesn’t illustrate comparative oil quality either.

The OTT tune... a 18 hp boost...
Counting 7 hp. Curious on the 11 hp delta.

1693510459315.jpg
1693510390878.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Counting 7 hp. Curious on the 11 hp delta.

View attachment 176046
Combined with the Injen Intake, forgot to mention that. Fantastic setup, I love it. Truck runs great. Well worth the investment and a IAT reduction of almost 17 degrees at 75 mph over ambient.

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 37
Yeah more than a little flawed, it’s total nonsense. But it fools the county fair crowd.
lol, ok. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Not sure why you are so adamant against friction modifiers but I would not waste my money if I did not notice an improvement. Liqui Moly is very well respected their oils are also well regarded. Particularly in the European community.

Can we go back to the fuel choice? E20? Does the truck OM allow for E20?

Unless this is a flex fuel, you may be running it lean, which exacerbates any knocking tendency, even with added octane.
I was going to say the same thing. No more than E15.

lol, ok. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Not sure why you are so adamant against friction modifiers but I would not waste my money if I did not notice an improvement. Liqui Moly is very well respected their oils are also well regarded. Particularly in the European community.
Friction modifiers are great, why would I be against them? I was specifically referring to the idiotic PF test which has zero relevance. Even if it did it’s performed in a useless manner.

Almost everyone I’ve seen post UOA’s on 20 weight show higher levels of iron, copper, and aluminum. You can actually run up to 15w40

I know, but I like 30 weight.

I was going to say the same thing. No more than E15.
Yeah, I know what the manual says. It also recommends 0w-20 and they removed the oil chart. Though the service manual allows up to 15w-40. It’s what happens when marketing takes priority over engineering.

Long story short, on 93 under WOT AFR is around 11:9. On e20 it’s in the mid 12’s to low 13’s, stock the truck runs rather rich under open loop. The tune does not adjust AFR, only timing. The extra octane helps also with timing advance.

Last edited:
Back