New Subaru FB25 - Taking Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the subaru FF an actual breakin oil?

I'm leaning towards Castrol Edge Ti, Valvoline.

I wouldn't be opposed to 0w-40 or 5w-40 once I know it's not an oil burner.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
So is the subaru FF an actual breakin oil?

High-ish ZDDP and moly. The moly is thought to be from assembly lube, moly-coated pistons, and/or added to the FF oil.

Here's a factory fill uoa tainted with a quart of Schaffer's make-up oil.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4455381/2016_Subaru_Crosstrek_Factory_

And some older ones
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2710890
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2251431

For the 5W30 in the turbo models, ZDDP and moly have been all over the place lately. Some high ZDDP and moly and some lower ZDDP and high moly. Not sure if they're constantly tinkering with the FF or if this is just due to the uoa readings.

Last edited:
Our newer Forester will be getting M1 AFE this weekend.
I don't know exactly what's in the FF, but I will have run it for the normal recommended interval.
I doubt that you'd see any difference among the various available API SN 0W-20s.
Love may be what makes a Subaru a Subaru, but along with that you get smallish fuel tanks and some oil consumption after the first 100K or so.
Nature of the beast.

Been stalking the website for ~ 10 years. So bear with me on my my first post.

Have two Subarus. A 250000 plus mile 99 Outback with EJ25 motor. Started out with Mobil 1 Tri-syn moved to Valvoline after high iron numbers spooked me. Tried Castrol Edge which it drank a Quart per 7500 miles. Switched to Pennzoil Plat which it loves and has been on 100000s of miles using only 1/2 quart per 7500 miles now. Was amazed how clean internally engine was when heads were off for Head gasket change at 104000 miles.

Just bought new 2017 crosstrek with FB20 (one of last ones off boat). Didn't want 2018 with DI engines( I seem to have had bad luck in past with first models, at least American branded ones). It just got it's first oil change at 3000 miles with the free Subaru oil change. Dealer said it was the Subaru 0w-20. Next oil change at 6000 miles will be either 0w-20 Quaker state or Pennzoil Platinum out of stash with Wix oil filter. My only concerns are the new Dexos Gen 2 oils with low calcium and zinc coming out designed for DI engines.

I have a '17 Outback with the FB25 engine. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State, and Valvoline are all good choices. Personally, I just changed my oil at 11,000 miles and put in Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 oil. Significantly more expensive, but if you join their 'program' by paying, IIRC, $20 a year, you get a very good discount on their products. Been worth it for me, as I am also buying their ATF for my '16 Honda Odyssey. Their SS oil is plugged as a one change a year oil. I like to change every 4-5k miles, just because. So I talked to one of their dealers, who suggested I go with their XL oil.
If you're going to be a shade tree mechanic, take a look at the Fumoto Drain Valve. Ingenious device for changing the oil without having to remove the drain plug.
Also, you might want to consider adding a bottle of Liqui-Moly Ceratec. It's an oil additive that uses Molybdenum and Boron compounds to reduce friction. Gets high ratings. I put it in both my vehicles. Good for 30,000 miles. Good car! Good luck!

I am also looking for suggestions on my 2017 OB 2.5. I am looking for a 0-20 synthetic oil that will help reduce engine noise while engine is cold or warm.

Last edited:
Liqui-moly has a lot of molybdenum which, according to many members here, decreases noise. You could give that a shot.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Love may be what makes a Subaru a Subaru, but along with that you get smallish fuel tanks and some oil consumption after the first 100K or so.
Nature of the beast.

fdcg, that's all part of the plan! The gas tanks and minor oil consumption keep you physically and emotionally involved with your Subaru! How can you truly love something that doesn't require attention and proper care and feeding?
smile.gif

In all honesty, yes, there certainly are some things that Subaru can still improve mechanically (see oil usage, CVT complainers, occasional wheel bearing issues, etc) but for the most part, I would have to agree with the first Subaru service manager I had the pleasure of interacting with. He told me, "Subarus may require some additional maintenance compared to other brands, but follow the maintenance schedule and really any N/A model will easily make it 250k+ miles." So far I haven't seen much that's able to prove him wrong
smile.gif
Just bought an 18 Forester from his dealership as well.

I certainly never saw myself buying one. But when I needed a manual transmission crossover / wagon type of vehicle ... there weren't many. Only three I can think of on our market.

The AWD wasn't a selling point for me. I'd be happy if it was FWD or RWD. The front-to-back engine was.

I've had this three weeks. I now see why people love these cars. I'm already looking for another older, EJ-powered Forester and making that a beater / winter rat. It helps that I have a cherry picker in my garage and am not afraid of pulling the engine to do head gaskets. As long as it's not on my DD

Miller, yes, they have a certain way of growing on you. They are not the fastest nor prettiest, but when it comes to utility and reliability, they are quite awesome. In addition, even though they won't awe with speed or skidpad numbers, Subarus generally feel rewarding to push them hard and drive them quickly. You'll never set any lap records but you WILL have a smile on your face attempting to do so!

There's something about going all Ken Block-ish in the snow in a pre-VDC Subaru that tickles a spot that few cars can. The manual tranny, 50/50 power split is perfect for huge sweeping slides or controlling the nose direction with all 37 hamsters giving their all under the hood. One of my favorite YouTube videos is of a guy with a modded 2004-era Forester XT dueling with a Porsche Cayman S on the NY driving test track- on the straights the Cayman clearly has more oomph, but in the corners the Forester certainly holds its own. It's a rad 16 minute video and you will never look at these humble wagons the same way again!

Forester XT vs. Cayman S

I certainly never saw myself buying one. But when I needed a manual transmission crossover / wagon type of vehicle ... there weren't many. Only three I can think of on our market.

The AWD wasn't a selling point for me. I'd be happy if it was FWD or RWD. The front-to-back engine was.

I've had this three weeks. I now see why people love these cars. I'm already looking for another older, EJ-powered Forester and making that a beater / winter rat. It helps that I have a cherry picker in my garage and am not afraid of pulling the engine to do head gaskets. As long as it's not on my DD

Glad you are enjoying the wagon! What kind of mileage are you getting out of it? My parents have the CVT in their Forester and its touching 30mpg for the same driving the CRV was in the low 20's...

They are just so practical. I like it.

The gas mileage is 26.9 (hand calculated) commuting to/from work and 33 (also hand calculated) going to/from my parents. Not too shabby for something with 2 differentials and dumptruck gears!

I wish!

But 4.44 in the differentials and a short-ish 1st gear are close enough for me!

So it would be possible to cross some washouts on logging roads without going 10 mph, or burning the clutch up?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
He told me, "Subarus may require some additional maintenance compared to other brands, but follow the maintenance schedule and really any N/A model will easily make it 250k+ miles." .

If I owned a Subaru, I'll treat it like a Benz or BMW and slightly overmaintain it. Traditionally, Subarus weren't as well made or engineered like a Toyota or Honda - back in the 1980s-early 2000s.

I think now under Toyota control, a newish Subaru can live a long, happy life. I'd be more weary of rust forming underneath the car, a friend's 2012 Forester now has rusty brake lines and some of the exhaust has surface rust. At the same time, Toyota's gone downhill.

Last edited:
I thought Subaru ran the brake lines through the cabin?

I've not looked underneath it. Too much plastic cladding!

But it's getting a fluid film bath slowly

It's the same as every car. The brake line here is the hard line leading to the hose on the right and left rear wheels. If possible, I'd spray a good rust preventative on it.

I plan on brushing it down with a wire brush, a light acid wash to dissolve any residual rust and metal oxides and then a Boeshield T-9 treatment.

I feel bad for you guys who have to do all this rust treatment and have them die on you.

Even my aunt's 1970 VW Beetle that I maintain looks new underneath (other than dirt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back