New style Fram Ultra XG10575 Ford coyote

Here is a new fram ultra used for 180 hours on my gen 3 coyote truck. It was changed earlier then usual but I wanted to see how it held up. I may have given it a bit of a twist as I used a wrench to remove it which indented it some.
E1C7C178-E02E-418A-9ED2-CB61E80A8C6D.jpeg
6BDEAE5A-2F0A-4F29-BBC0-184B6F525E83.jpeg
D967AAE4-D640-4856-9A82-49A9A8934C80.jpeg
D7D09007-6EF2-43C1-99AE-56AE76A3973D.jpeg

What oil filter did you replace it with? I will let the oil filter experts here comment about your oil filter.

Thanks for the Pics!

I think the wavy pleats is going to be somewhat normal on the new Ultra (as it also is on many other brands) because the media isn't full synthetic and not wire backed anymore.

I bet the glued filter + endcaps assembly goes through a sizing machine which squashes down to a proscribed height and buckles the media.

The manufacturer likely has several cans this subassembly can go into. Just add ADBV and bypass hardware of your choice.

I bet the glued filter + endcaps assembly goes through a sizing machine which squashes down to a proscribed height and buckles the media.
Once the center media, center tube and end caps are all assembled, there is no "size squashing" of the assembly.

As this anecdote in hours, difficult for me correlate what I see, to what it would be in miles. That said, looks like it got the job done.

As for the pleat wave, while it doesn't bother me based on no effect on function, I've seen other brands here regularly get a negative response for similar pleat wave. While I agree that moisture, condensation, short trips in cold weather can be factors in pleat wave, in my observation, other brands with similar wave have not generally been afforded that reasoning.

This much certain, doesn't closely resemble the appearance of OG Ultra post use anecdotes posted here. Not that I expected it to.

Thanks for c&p.

Last edited:
A pleat that is made straight, then is curved after use has to be stretched because it’s longer. That can’t be so wonderful for “efficiency.” Can it?

Cellulose (being a pulp derivative) will absorb water. Even the blend medias (which is what this is) contain significant regular cellulose content. When this happens, it swells and can cause distortion. I expect if we plotted it, we'd see more of this in the fall/winter/spring months where the production of moisture due to cold operation is higher.

Also, I expect the delta-p on the pleats can also promote some distortion as @ZeeOSix touched-on, and, depending on what the pleats are affixed to, there will be more or less accommodation for the pleats flexing/moving. Fibre/media end-caps will move/flex with the media, which is likely one of the reasons we see less tearing (and distortion) with those than we do with potted metal like this unit, though of course media construction plays a significant role as well.

On one hand I am happy to see a First Branded Ultra hold up well over a standard FCI but on the other hand I would like to see more positive results before getting back into buying them. My current filter stash is pretty nice so it may be a while.

On one hand I am happy to see a First Branded Ultra hold up well over a standard FCI but on the other hand I would like to see more positive results before getting back into buying them. My current filter stash is pretty nice so it may be a while.

From what I am seeing here, it looks like this oil filter is no better than the orange can fram oil filter. Actually it looks like the TG oil filter that the OP posted looked better, of course that was maybe a different vehicle. My opinion is that this oil filter did not hold up well, I do not like to see wavy pleats, I have scene this with another oil filter I used and it led to tears. I think everything from here will be negative on this new design, and when I run out of my old stash of XG2's it will either be Amsoil or Royal Purple Oil Filters. At this time, who would have thought the TG would better than the new XG, that is JMO.

I definitely think that using the wrench to grab the can and twist could cause some of the wavy pleats, depending on the placement. No tears but not impressive either.

Last edited:
I do think that I gave it a twist. It was on a bit tight. And I used a new filter wrench that really indented the can. I’m not sold that these will be wavy all the time. I think it was my doing. But it did hold up fine for a short interval. The media is strong. Though I’m almost more impressed with the tg2 that I posted from my ford V10. It was put through a lot more abuse and held up great. So the jury isn’t out yet in my opinion.

Back