New style Fram Ultra XG10575 Ford coyote

I do think that I gave it a twist. It was on a bit tight. And I used a new filter wrench that really indented the can.
A strap wrench (if that's what you used) works best if you can get a bite close to the base or close to the end of the dome end. Those are stronger areas on the can than in the middle of the can.

A strap wrench (if that's what you used) works best if you can get a bite close to the base or close to the end of the dome end. Those are stronger areas on the can than in the middle of the can.
These are a hard open wrench style. I had to get it to do my boat oil filter that was really stuck on. Gave it a try on my truck but it really bites in. I usually use a different style that doesn’t damage the filter as much.

I don't think you can twist the media taking one off, the can would have to tear first, or get big time dented. The wavy pleats look like the top & bottom are lined up. No tears=OK, I guess.

I do think that I gave it a twist. It was on a bit tight. I do think that I gave it a twist. It was on a bit tight. And I used a new filter wrench that really indented the can. I’m not sold that these will be wavy all the time. I think it was my doing.
Just to be clear, you're speculating that removing the filter caused the wavy media areas seen in the pics. In my observation of many post use c&ps including those difficult to remove, 'personally' for a 'spin on' filter application can't recall that as a claim here before. I've seen dented cans from removal given as reason for a distorted/crushed pleat or two, but not the wavy pleat areas as seen on topic.
...But it did hold up fine for a short interval....
Confirming, topic "180 hr" oci is a "short interval." This on a filter rated to 20k miles.

Last edited:
Confirming, topic "180 hr" oci is a "short interval." This on a filter rated to 20k miles.
Your question on hours vs oci got me thinking...

Here are a couple of hour/miles comparisons from my last 3 ocis. Hours was taken from the trip screen for the oci. I reset trip 2 on all vehicles for my oci tracker. It tracks miles, hours, gallons, and avg mpg.

F-150: 4,252mi = 127h:53m (7673minutes); 1.80 minutes per mile
Edge: 6,166mi = 232h:30m; (13,950minutes); 2.26 minutes per mile
Fusion: 6743mi = 188h:38m; (11,318minutes); 1.69 minutes per mile

Varies wildly due to remote start in winter and short trips/city driving. The fusion is the commute vehicle and driven 40% on interstate.

^^^As I noted in my first post, seeing as oci in hours vs miles, difficult for me to correlate to miles which is the most common oci interval type posted here.

While the outside anecdotes hours and miles posted are interesting, scientifically 'I' can't extrapolate them to the topic vehicle hours of use. The only description given beyond hours are the words "short interval". 6k miles I wouldn't consider short, perhaps average, imo. Whatever the case, it's a guess on miles. Not enough information for me to say much more than topic Ultra got the job done over what the OP describes as a "short interval". Others may reach a different conclusion on the interval.

Just to be clear, you're speculating that removing the filter caused the wavy media areas seen in the pics. In my observation of many post use c&ps including those difficult to remove, 'personally' for a 'spin on' filter application can't recall that as a claim here before. I've seen dented cans from removal given as reason for a distorted/crushed pleat or two, but not the wavy pleat areas as seen on topic.

Just to clarify. I did dent the bottom of the can when trying to remove it. Which held the media in place when I cut it off from the base plate. It was tough to get the media out of the cab because of this. I had to slightly pry on the metal end cap to take it off. Which may have tweaked the media one way. The twist of a bit of a mystery. So I’m not fully convinced that it did badly. That being said this was a short interval. I’ve been having issues with cam reversion on this truck. It happens mainly at hot idle the phasers angle is not matching or able to keep in line with the desired angle. So this was only about 5000 kms or 3k miles. But this was during a fairly cold winter with many days being -30 or colder. And my commute is very short these days. So I didn’t want to push it too much. 180 hours seemed to be a suitable interval considering the conditions. I like to do longer intervals but not with this issue that I have. In the end I think I will be replacing the phaser solenoids to correct the issue.

So this was only about 5000 kms or 3k miles. But this was during a fairly cold winter with many days being -30 or colder. And my commute is very short these days.
That could be a reason for wavy pleats too. Might be a combo of that and the can damage upon removal. Guess more C&Ps of the new Ultras will show if wavy pleats are a common thing or not.

02C77C35-42A0-4F5B-A2E6-35D82DE43886.jpeg

4987DCEB-1E3B-48F6-9221-0D914019EEFB.jpeg

49CE3D52-9253-46EF-87E3-9651B090DD54.jpeg

I decided to do a very short interval as I am troubleshooting an issue with the engine. Idle quality mainly. Caused by the phasers/solenoids not keeping up at hot idle causing them to move around more then they should. So I moved to a thicker oil. A 0w40 (petro Canada Duron UHp) instead of a 0w30 (Shell Helix) which is giving me a bit more hot idle oil pressure. If that does not fix the issue they will have to be replaced. But as you can see the pleats are still wavy even on a very short interval. I was super careful taking the filter off this time and caused no damage to the can. The filter came out the same as my last one. So this seems to be the new norm for Ultras. I put on another new style ultra. After that I’ll likely go down to a tough guard as I was more pleased with how my tg2 looked from another vehicle.

View attachment 93770
View attachment 93771
View attachment 93772

I decided to do a very short interval as I am troubleshooting an issue with the engine. Idle quality mainly. Caused by the phasers/solenoids not keeping up at hot idle causing them to move around more then they should. So I moved to a thicker oil. A 0w40 (petro Canada Duron UHp) instead of a 0w30 (Shell Helix) which is giving me a bit more hot idle oil pressure. If that does not fix the issue they will have to be replaced. But as you can see the pleats are still wavy even on a very short interval. I was super careful taking the filter off this time and caused no damage to the can. The filter came out the same as my last one. So this seems to be the new norm for Ultras. I put on another new style ultra. After that I’ll likely go down to a tough guard as I was more pleased with how my tg2 looked from another vehicle.

This makes me not want to use the First Branded Ultra, plenty of other good choices out there and often for less $$$

FL502s were all gone when I looked. I have used the old ones in the past without any problems on my 2012 F-150. Was thinking of using these on my 2019. I don't plan on running it 20K, so the slight wave in the pleats doesn't bother me. I run them 10K in my 2006 Focus.

I can't get excited over the latest Fram
I took the old ones out at 24K + miles and once dried they looked perfect.
No drama just plain talk. When my old Fram stash dries up I will be going elsewhere.
I'm still trying to figure out where myself. Seems like prices are up, material quality is down, designs are consolidating...there's no real choice for those of us who actually put in more consideration to our filters than, "Yeah, that's fine."

I'm still trying to figure out where myself. Seems like prices are up, material quality is down, designs are consolidating...there's no real choice for those of us who actually put in more consideration to our filters than, "Yeah, that's fine."
If we are worried about a wave in the pleats, we are all probably overthinking this.

If you want wire backed media I would go with Royal Purple or Amsoil, if not the Champ XL is very solid. On the lower end the Supertech MP filters at Walmart are decent.

If you don't mind buying a product that comes from a country like China or Vietnam than look into getting any of the following: Ecogard Synthetic, Microgard Select, Premium Guard Extended, etc. Those filters are roughly clones of one another and have surprisingly great build quality and the efficiency is not too bad, 99% @ 25 microns.

Back